OCR01125 - Astérix (NES) "Niggaz 4 Life"

djpretzel

Screw the language, this is a skillfully made, top quality mix that emphasises the quality and creativity on show at OCR. Nigga or no nigga this is a must hear.

I feel strange singing the chorus as a whiteboy but that's just me.

For class' sake YES

I had to listen to this a few times to discover how I really felt about this mix outside of the title, a touchy subject for many. I paid close attention to the lyrics and have few other listen to it. I was still stumped on how to reply. I don't know maybe too much usage of the word "niggaz," but after catching myself humming the chorus around the house I've come to the conclusion that I like it. So to give my two cents-- It's catchy and innovative. The rhyme was good, too (Nice work! :D ). This is a pretty clean mix and I think could be an OCR classic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My opinion of the song? I dig it.

Most my friends like it, too. Both the black and the white friends I have, if there was any doubt in that matter to begin with.

As was pointed out, the usage of the word nigga is all but malicious, and not even nearly said as much as, say, any given song by Busta Rhymz.

I must say though, that while some songs on this site can be looped continuously for hours on end without getting on your nerves eventually, this is not one of those songs.

It may get tiring after the third or so consecutive playback, and can be better appreciated when dosed sparsely, but regularly inbetween a whole litter of other VGremixes.

...Oh yeah, hi, I'm here again. Been a while since I was last here, and I doubt anyone even recognizes me. XD

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't even know zyko was black. I could have swore I saw a picture of him (in which the person was white). Maybe I was mistakening him for somebody else (perhaps a person he collaborated with).

Anyway, I'm not a rap fan, so this doesn't do much for me personally. But that aside, this is a fun, well-made rap track, and I'm glad zyko & ubik had the cojones to post this mix despite all these people who think they're the experts on how the "N-word" or its variations should be (or rather should not be) used. Great work, guys! :)

• 1 month later...

Well I'm by no means a fan of rap, but I do like this mix. Rather fun..

Though honestly I don't think I can find myself listening to this song for an extended amount of time. Not that the lyrics bother me (being black), but rock is more my 'cup-o-tea'. Robie zombie anyone? :)

this is about friendship and about sticking together no matter what. till the end of time. that you can, through the convenience of a videogame, travel across distant lands, dark dungeons and tricky booby traps... to your death itself... for a friend. for your nigga.

Then why do the lyrics mostly introduce the Asterix characters and have them brag about their adventures and how hype they are? It does sound hip and all and a little bit's good for the song, but I don't see the focus. If you can back yourself up by quoting some of the lyrics and emphasize the focus on the theme besides the chorus then I'll know what you're gettin' at. The swearing and use of the word "nigga" are nothin' to me, but the focus of the song bothers me.

You only hear what you want to hear. I don't recall a lot of swearing, maybe because I'm not really listening to the rapping.

That's exactly why people, innocent straight A+ students who can't relate to one bit of the rap culture, who listen to hardcore stuff like gangsta "crap," love it. They just like the hot beatz and if they actually pick up on some of the lyrics, like what they hear even though deep down, they can't relate to one word of what comes out of the subs. Some of rap's target audience is just sad.

whatever.

you kids will never ever get it.

keep your eyes open for the recording of my band's gig tommorow... it'll make all you stupid "rocker" kids who hate "crap" realize that i can rock it harder than you ever will.

versatility and genius grow off the same root. predictability, limitation and lack of tolerance are the spawn of retardation.

so quit your whining, find your third eye and open up your fucking minds.

• 2 weeks later...
That's exactly why people, innocent straight A+ students who can't relate to one bit of the rap culture, who listen to hardcore stuff like gangsta "crap," love it. They just like the hot beatz and if they actually pick up on some of the lyrics, like what they hear even though deep down, they can't relate to one word of what comes out of the subs. Some of rap's target audience is just sad.

You couldn't be more wrong. Not to mention that your post is incredibly classist and even subconsciously racist.

I'm about to graduate from college with a BA in English, and I can greatly appreciate the lyrics of many, many rap artists. Hell, my sister's in postgrad law school at University of Chicago, and she will sit down and actually listen to the lyrics of rap songs.

Many people I know, including some of the whitest living-in-the-country people you'll ever see, not only appreciate the musical aspect of rap but its lyrical aspects as well. If you have an analytical mind that can actually get past a few reiterations of the word "fuck," you can hear that many rap songs are about personal struggle, emotional turmoil and achievement. Just because zykO's lyrics don't read like an after-school special doesn't mean the spirit of camaraderie, struggle and friendship isn't there. Believe it or not, words can have more than one level of perception to them! There's a little something called "subtext" you might want to get to know.

And if you refuse to believe that people of intelligence and sensitivity can identify with rap, you're simply denying the validity of an art form because of your snotty personal opinion and blatant classism.

• 1 month later...

Okay, first off, I like this mix. I don't mind rap as long as there isn't needless profanity thrown in and there aren't corrupt messages involved. In the case of this mix, the profanity never seems out of place, and the overall message is friendship and all, so what's not to like?

On another note: this has probably been said before (many times), but I've always thought of rap as a sort of poetry, only with music to go along with it. Music plays a part in it, but without the actual lyrics it's an empty beat. If you're looking for an orchestra of musical fullness in rap, you'll most likely be disappointed; that's not what rap is about. If you can take this piece for what it is, a poetic masterpiece, and have the capacity to appreciate such poetry, you'll enjoy it. If you can't take this piece for what it is, and just don't like rap, don't go off about it here, in a forum dedicated to reviewing a rap song. That's like going to Papa John's and saying "pizza sucks, you all suck at making pizza if only because pizza is not a food that I like."

Okay, so maybe it's not a poetic masterpiece per se, it's not Shakespeare and such, but it's better than most of the rap you hear these days. It just sounded so dramatic to say poetic masterpiece like that, so sue me.

• 2 weeks later...

You couldn't be more wrong. Not to mention that your post is incredibly classist and even subconsciously racist.

I'm about to graduate from college with a BA in English, and I can greatly appreciate the lyrics of many, many rap artists. Hell, my sister's in postgrad law school at University of Chicago, and she will sit down and actually listen to the lyrics of rap songs.

Many people I know, including some of the whitest living-in-the-country people you'll ever see, not only appreciate the musical aspect of rap but its lyrical aspects as well. If you have an analytical mind that can actually get past a few reiterations of the word "fuck," you can hear that many rap songs are about personal struggle, emotional turmoil and achievement. Just because zykO's lyrics don't read like an after-school special doesn't mean the spirit of camaraderie, struggle and friendship isn't there. Believe it or not, words can have more than one level of perception to them! There's a little something called "subtext" you might want to get to know.

And if you refuse to believe that people of intelligence and sensitivity can identify with rap, you're simply denying the validity of an art form because of your snotty personal opinion and blatant classism.

You know smart people who actually respect the lyrics behind rap as much as I do. I do see the sub-text in some parts of this song. I just don't see all of it. I know where the camaraderie and struggle is, but not the friendship besides what's belted in the chorus.

When I said my remark about A students, I was refering to the A students who actually don't listen to rap as a primary genre and regard it just as pure entertainment. And I'm refering to people of any race, not just white. arthropod stated a message regarding these type of people up above this post:

On another note: this has probably been said before (many times), but I've always thought of rap as a sort of poetry, only with music to go along with it. Music plays a part in it, but without the actual lyrics it's an empty beat. If you're looking for an orchestra of musical fullness in rap, you'll most likely be disappointed; that's not what rap is about. If you can take this piece for what it is, a poetic masterpiece, and have the capacity to appreciate such poetry, you'll enjoy it. If you can't take this piece for what it is, and just don't like rap, don't go off about it here, in a forum dedicated to reviewing a rap song. That's like going to Papa John's and saying "pizza sucks, you all suck at making pizza if only because pizza is not a food that I like."

Okay, so maybe it's not a poetic masterpiece per se, it's not Shakespeare and such, but it's better than most of the rap you hear these days. It just sounded so dramatic to say poetic masterpiece like that, so sue me.

In Canada we have either wannabe rappers, gangsters, or people who just don't respect hip-hop and see it as either pure amusement or some guys yelling profane words and statements over a microphone. I know what these artists actually go through and that's why I respect rap music. Other people just want to get a high from it. My people choose not comply to arthropod's suggestion and that's what I'm saying.

You've encountered the right people who can actually take in hip-hop for what it trully is. I barely do encounter people who respect hip-hop at all. That's my problem and that's my reason for posting that comment.

I fucking love this song. I would even go so far as to agree that this is what OCR is all about--taking an original piece of music we loved in some way, and making it out own. Above all, what matters to me in this song is that it's obvious zyk0 and the gang had fun with this track. I mean, it's utterly overflowing with fun.

I hope to see more hip hop themed remixes in the future. :wink:

• 2 months later...

Just so y'all know, I'm only going to be back here once a week to review songs that make it here. Before I close off my connection with you guys, here's my extended thoughts on Niggaz 4 Life as my 200th post since my internet connection's being taken (I can't pay for it anymore so today's my last day).

I reviewed this track over at VGMix since the contreversy was huge. I've always wanted to take on a rap mix and be the first to submit one, but I couldn't think of any good ideas of a good rap to do that would be related to a game. Give me another half year after my EP's done, and I'll see what I come up with. Congratulations zyko and Ubik on beating me to achieving a dream I wanted to have post here long ago and being the first to release the most contreversial rap remix in the VGRemixing Community's History.

First off, I just need to say to some with a lack of historic education that if you have read the book "Of Mice and Men" 'nigga' or 'nigger' was used back in the 30s as a derogatory term for a black person named Crooks. Now 'nigga's used as a greeting or a hardcore substitute word for 'brotha.' The thing that caused alot of contreversy in rap is just that fact that genre's poetry speaks a different language that is foreign to alot of people even some people who are into rap hardcore. This language is that of the black people of the ghetto which uses many different types of slang words and abbreviations and codes to communicate incase the cops were in pursuit.

Here are my thoughts on rap first of all (this song included). There are alot of rap songs out there that can be used to promote a decent message but are delivered in a fashion the faint of heart can hardly tolerate. A prime example of this is "F*** the Police" which was a song by Ice Tea where he curses the cops that are bumrushing or shooting innocent blacks. Ice Tea never meant to target all police officers, he was just talking about the ones who shed the blood of the innocent. Since June when I found this out, I've been trying to dumb down my personal rap lyrics so that people can understand what I'm saying, be careful what I say, so I keep the peotry going, and not offend people easily. But then again, the core of my messages I personally put out are what causes the contreversy I've got now. If rappers have a positive or worthwhile thing they want the public to hear (and rightfully it should be done) rappers should just belt it in a poetic method that will be more understandable and acceptable. Regarding zyko's rapping, I'm not saying eliminate the subtle poetry, but dumb it down just a little so more people can get the right message. And yes, a chunk of profane slang can be chucked in the trash. Luckily, this track doesn't suffer too much from it. Thus, I feel the word nigga would be best replaced just to avoid the whole bunch of hate-mail and posts you recieved before, even if it does have a good intention.

Now we can talk about the song itself. Regarding the backing-beat/instrumental, Ubik's bass shuffling and sampling gave me the feeling that this was going to be so goofy. Everything's perfect here from the strings to the piano and harpsichord thingy. The beat was quite 808ish and this kind of machine pays tribute to some Dirty South thumping.

Now there's just a few things I love about the rap in this song. the fact that there's sound effects and random shouting from zyko in the back make this thing energetic and funny. There are some cheesy lines like "Brass-helmeted nigga widda warrior resemblance," and "Whack niggaz comin' up with backpacks." I was floored by the Star War's reference about Asterix comparing himself as Yoda to the gang as Obi-Wons. Nice. And who can forget the dog eating dog on the farm being transformed into a firearm. Catchy. Unfortunately, some of the lyrics are a little too bruising as zyko talks about the enemies bleeding out of various places and bullets from gats (guns) going through peoples' ribcages. I'm not as bothered with the words as with Shael Riley's verse on River City Rap, but here and there, a few things can clean the mix up.

Overall, the track wasn't too bad. The chorus was catchy, and I too find myself wanting to hum the words and replace the word "nigga" with brotha as Dhsu brought up earlier. Really,I feel the only thing that holds this back would be the word "Nigga" which can easily be relaced with a long list of other words I've conjured which I won't share. Sure the profanity can also be replaced, but zyko's the artist. Let him decide.

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

besides that has nothing to do with this song at all, which is great by the way ( i hummed the chorus last nite while i was trying to get to sleep)

Nigger doesn't mean "African America Slave". It denotes someone with origins in Nigeria.

i dont know if it was said anywhere but it MEANS lazy person regardless of skin color...

just like fagot...

you know what a fagot(or faggot) is?

ita a bundle of sticks or branches, as used for fuel

OR pieces of wrought iron or steel to be worked into bars...

just do a bit of research before posting

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01125 - Astérix (NES) "Niggaz 4 Life"