OCR01125 - Astérix (NES) "Niggaz 4 Life"

djpretzel

This is what OCR is all about.

I hope you aren't serious. In all honesty, I am not pleased with this remix. Sure, the music itself has a nice beat to it and all, but I truly feel video game music just should not be this way. I am a bit biased since I do not like rap, but still, I didn't like the way this remix was much. Video game remixes don't need to be littered with profanities.

That's just my opinion. Flame me if you will, but this is my opinion, and if it is different from yours, it doesn't matter. This is just what I believe. I know there will be many people who love this remix, but I don't really care for it much.

I didn't like it much, considering the word "niggaz" was repeated every 5 seconds, and ironically, it was sang by white amatuer rappers (not to make this song an even longer racist stretch). I'm not for or against rap, but I still didn't like this mix. sorry...

I didn't like it much, considering the word "niggaz" was repeated every 5 seconds, and ironically, it was sang by white amatuer rappers (not to make this song an even longer racist stretch). I'm not for or against rap, but I still didn't like this mix. sorry...

Whoever told you zyko was white was a terrible liar. Ubik is white, however, but that's not taking away from the fact he's one awesome fucking musician. That said, I know you guys and your talent, and once again you never cease to amaze me. Keep it up. Wait, why did I say that? I know you will.

~Rhi

lol, this brought a smile to my face. The production was good and, although the vocals sounded a bit ameturish in the way they were recorded, that kinda helped its personal feel that I think hip hop benefits from. I thought it was a lot of fun. The cheeky chorus particularly amused me. It reminded me a little of Outkast actually. :)

Addressing the song's contravsersial aspect for a moment:

To be honest I get tired of bad language in general more and more now. It's the sort of thing I grew out of when puberty stopped and I think it's a bit sad that most artists, but hip hop rappers in particular, still think its *cool* to swear. That said, I didn't take exception to the word "nigger" specifically. Like Pretzel says in his intro, it's not the word but the person who uses it. There are plenty of words around that describe black people, just as there are plenty of words to describe everyone else. I hear that the yanks refer to us brits as "limeys." Rather amusingly, and somewhat ironically, Nelson Mandella caused a bit of a problem with his continuous use of the word "coloureds" to describe black people. Media types were scratching their heads over the best way to quote him because "coloureds" along with "niggers" is on the list or racist words not to be used by the media.

Personally I look forward to the day when we emerge from this pc garbage and remember what racism actually is. Then we can throw these words around without all the racist angst that accompanies them.

there should be more hip-hop remixes

but really. I mean really c'mon.. what's with the lyrics? not that it's bad cuz they say nigga i mean. nigga. i said it. again: nigga. wee. it's just that the song doesn't really justify the use of the word. it sounds like they went "hey let's make hip-hop outta this. yeah let's add a 'nigga' joke in there for kicks" makes it seem racist, just sounds silly

needs equalizing too. the voices need compression. urgently. even snoop dogg, who raps like he was whisperin' sounds louder than this. the beat also swallows out the lyrics, yet doesn't sound loud enough at the same time. the bass doesn't have that rigged-up-impala-with-27-inch-rimz feel to it either. I wouldn't really have approved this, considering the potential it has with some slightly different equalization.

just my 50 cents. nigga

I'm not a huge fan of this one. All I kept thinking was, "Christ, is this song in minor or major key?" I mean, COME ON. If it's minor, which it certainly sounds like 90% of the time, then stop throwing in the goddamn major third. Jesus! Just stop lol!

Other than that this is ok, but I honestly can't get past those major thirds. Better they had just taken the entire melody and put it in minor. I'm also not a big fan of the modulation into a new key that happens around halfway in.

edit: I'm listening to this again, and damnit, if you just changed that one note! Right now it's like this:

You my nig - ga
Csharp D E A

It could easily have been this:

You my nig - ga
Cnatural D E A

Just my opinion though.

It's not 'nigger,' it's 'nigga,' a word you'll hear all too often around black people. They use it the same way surfer-boys use 'dude.'

So what happens if the KKK adopt it, will the black people stick an 'h' on the end? Will "niggah" be the new non-racist connotation? Please, do me a favour. nigga = nigger. You either think it's a racist word or not. If you want to use it then fine, if you don't, that's fine too. But lets not go around kidding ourselves here.

It's not 'nigger,' it's 'nigga,' a word you'll hear all too often around black people. They use it the same way surfer-boys use 'dude.'

So what happens if the KKK adopt it, will the black people stick an 'h' on the end? Will "niggah" be the new non-racist connotation? Please, do me a favour. nigga = nigger. You either think it's a racist word or not. If you want to use it then fine, if you don't, that's fine too. But lets not go around kidding ourselves here.

Don't be such a nigga, nigga. :mrgreen:

Bwhaaaaa! This is the coolest thing to come out of OCR recently. It's just hard to look at the nice smiling Asterix while listening to this. :lol: Not huge into rap, myself, but I do know what I like. As it stands, this is probably one of those songs on OCR that are most presentable to those who are deep into main stream music and are unwilling to experiment with anything else. Gateway drug....errr...song? :P

And in response to the key changes.......I love 'em. They add a wonderful flare to it. Very funkilicious.

In my view there have always been two types of controversy: Controversy with a purpose and without. The former can be thought-provoking, infomative, etc. while the latter is just pointless.

This is the latter.

Now, I'll admit, I don't like rap that much (it's more fun to do than listen to), but really, there's no reason for the N-word to be used in this song-it doesn't accomplish anything, it doesn't add anything, it's just there.

That being said, the remix itself is kinda so-so, although it's one of the better rap "songs" I've heard. And it was nice to hear some vocals in a Remix for once. However, I think the effort could be better applied.

By the way, I like to interpet swear words in terms of what they really mean. So, um, what do African-American slaves have to do with this song? :wink:

Nigger doesn't mean "African America Slave". It denotes someone with origins in Nigeria.

Maybe, but you don't go to Nigeria and start calling people that. And actually the name only arose because that's where many slaves came from.

Geez, you're all acting like a bunch of angry soccer moms about this. Just appreciate it for what it is: Music.

It's not music (well, the choruses are, but the main part isn't). Music involves actually changing notes. Rap is rhythmic poetry.

Seriously. It's an awesome remix. That's all it is.

I've heard better-much better-in terms of rap and remixes.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01125 - Astérix (NES) "Niggaz 4 Life"