Final Fantasy XI - "A Cinematic Heaven"

Souliarc

(Final)(Mastered)

http://soundcloud.com/souliarc/a-cinematic-heaven

Removed all previous links for the sake of finality. If anybody actually wants to hear the progression of the song I can make the other tracks available on my SoundCloud account page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(newest post)

Major update to ReMix:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(newer post)

Entirely, NEW ReMix (still unfinished):

The new website I'm using to host (SoundCloud) seems to lower the volume about 10-15%. Along with not wanting to squash the dynamics during mixing to squeeze out more dB's, the volume overall is typically lower, so make sure you all turn it up to get the full effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(oldest post)

Here's a ReMix that I started working on WAAAYY back in the day. It was actually created on an older workstation and the Reason project file is forever gone. My goal is to get your opinions on whether or not you think the ReMix is worth revitalizing. It would be a little bit of a pain seeing as though I'd pretty much have to figure it out all over again based on this file :x , but if the majority of ya's thinks it has potential, I'll go for it!

I do realize the poor quality, but bear with me please and look more towards the arrangement part of it :)

Thanks in advance ladies and gents.

Unfinished, abruptly stopped ReMix:

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Q3GMCPJQM

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this much enthusiasm... thank you all very much! Surely with my new set up I'll be able to make this better than ever. As a High Templar states: "My path is set". Man I'm such a nerd.

As a staunch supporter of music from FF XI. I heartily encourage you to finish the mix!!

Haha, I was hoping you'd see this!

I'll get to work on it right away.

i haven't heard the source so i can't really comment on anything but besides how i like this originality. i like how you started the piece very mystic like. the production is pretty decent too. this definitely has potential. we need more mixes like this on ocr, it brings back the feel of the old days =D.

Your mix sounds pretty, maybe bring the bulk of your orchestral sounds down about -6dB and it will sound even sweeter on the ears. All in all this sounds like a nice sound upgrade, it was hard to hear what you were remixing. Please finish it, but bear that in I've read too many posts on the judges forum talking about "sound upgrades" Throw some spice on the fire! Change up a direction... the source melody is haunting so find some ethereal melody that can blend with it and 70% of your work is done! ... Just pitching ideas.

Finish it.

Your mix sounds pretty, maybe bring the bulk of your orchestral sounds down about -6dB and it will sound even sweeter on the ears. All in all this sounds like a nice sound upgrade, it was hard to hear what you were remixing. Please finish it, but bear that in I've read too many posts on the judges forum talking about "sound upgrades" Throw some spice on the fire! Change up a direction... the source melody is haunting so find some ethereal melody that can blend with it and 70% of your work is done! ... Just pitching ideas.

Finish it.

Yeah, I was a afraid it followed the source a bit too much, as in reference to the "sound upgrades". I definitely don't want to go through all this trouble recreating my older project and end up in that pile! Finding a melody to go along with the source is a great idea, and the arpeggiating harp after the initial introduction of the source melody does that somewhat, but it's a small piece of a larger whole, and I see what you're saying in that it needs something more... After I get done with the recreation of the project, which seems to be pretty likable already, I'll work more on the ReMix part of it.

Regardless, the advice is much appreciated!

• 3 months later...

Hey everybody. Been a long while, but I've actually done a totally new ReMix because I couldn't seem to recreate the original as well as I'd like. I guess it'll forever remain unfinished, but onto new paths!

Basically, this one is still not done either, but I want to make sure I'm on the right path. If I can learn any flaws I have early on from you all, it will prevent me from working with a flawed song until finish and having to waste time correcting.

I've updated the first post with the new version.

Great choice, the FFXI soundtrack will always be a bit of a black sheep but as a serious player of the game, this is definitely a track that's always stood out to me. I kinda liked your original mix a little better, but with it being lost to the void and all, I'm glad you're back at it with the second mix.

The second mix is more orchestral, has a very grand feeling to it, and it certainly took a while to get where it was going, which I think is quite normal for orchestral mixes (the recognizable melody really only started in the last part of it), but once I got there I got the impression this mix is going to work out jusssst fine.

Keep plugging away, I'd love to hear more of this now that you've just started to hit on the source.

• 7 months later...

Soooo..... oh hai!

Been through A LOT of life changers since I last updated this song, but I am still determined to not give up on it. I have been able to work on it here and there, but ultimately it still has some work. It is a MAJOR update but it still hasn't been mixed, ending is definitely not final, and choice of orchestration isn't final.

For those that have commented throughout all this time, thanks for sticking with me.

Link:

http://soundcloud.com/souliarc/heavens-tower-remix3

I will update the first post with this link as well.

Sounds awesome! I don't know anything about the technical aspects of music, but I think it's great. If I hadn't known it was Heavens Tower I wouldn't have recognized that as the source, but that's not a problem to me. In fact many of my favorite remixes are that way. Anyways, great job!