Celtic Music Fans, anyone?

Meteo Xavier

Whilst talking with CotMM, I came across Youtube versions of my absolute FAVORITE Celtic Music CD I've ever bought. It was a cheapy at Wal-Mart, but man if I paid full price for it I'd be glad to.

Its very ambient and not very Irish-Celtic, for those of you who maybe want fast trills and very specifically tuned fiddles. Its a bit like a cross between Enya and Y. Mitsuda and I just wanted to share it for others who may enjoy it. (I also encourage buying the physical CD if you find it. It really is worth the money.)

- White Sail

- Cry of the Wind

- Moon Dance

- Woodland Ride

- Ancient Wisdom

- Hills of Myst

- Aos Dana

- Fields of Rain

- Highland Dawn

- Prophecy (Strange title for such a sleepy song...)

Hey good stuff. I've always enjoyed celtic music ever since I was lucky enough to find a radio show that played the stuff consistently a year ago. I'm always surprised by the quality of music in this genre for how completely dirt cheap the cds are.

On a different note, though they dip into different genres occasionally, I'm a big fan of the duo called "Secret Garden." They have some absolutely fantastic tracks too.

Good links! :D

I LOVE celtic music, and I'm always looking for more. Any idea if there's somewhere I can download the mp3s of this album? And does anybody have other reccomendations for celtic artists?

Bill Whelans a really good irish/celtic composer, he did the music for Riverdance.

The first min of this song always gives me chills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVtK9lOEJuQ

For a more peaceful calming sound there's always Enya

I was actually hoping to make a Celtic song in the near future, but I have very little knowledge Celtic music in general. I've heard Enya of course, the FF4 Celtic Moon, and other stuff. This Celtic Journey you linked is really great. I always try to find this kind of stuff but I never know where to look. This CD is "out of print and hard to find" now and the youtube quality isn't as good as it should be. :'(

I was actually hoping to make a Celtic song in the near future, but I have very little knowledge Celtic music in general. I've heard Enya of course, the FF4 Celtic Moon, and other stuff. This Celtic Journey you linked is really great. I always try to find this kind of stuff but I never know where to look. This CD is "out of print and hard to find" now and the youtube quality isn't as good as it should be. :'(

I believe I have it. Maybe...

{edit} - Scratch that. I have a different Celtic Journey... it's the CD version, though...

New stuff!

Anyone remember Xenosaga? Of course you do. Did you ever play it? Hell no, but you know people that did.

You missed out, fool. Yasunori Mitsuda did the first game and returned with Joanne Hogg to do the Image songs. The ending one was great, but not very Celtic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLWTqgifEOE&feature=related - Kororo

Strangely enough, Joanne Hogg somehow got to do her own version for her Christian band and the results are just as Celtic and amazing (One wonders who was really in charge of the arranging then)

- Joanne Hogg

But even more baffling - I've seen people outright dismiss Xenosaga II and III's soundtracks for not having mighty Mitsuda, but the results without him are even better. Check this shit out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFv9b4C2re4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwaX_TGlLKs

Also, here are a couple vids from Afro-Celt Sound system which is on Peter Gabriel's label (or was or whatever).

Are we to call Celtic music enthusiasts in this thread?

I assume we are interested more in the instrumental than the folk (folk being more along the lines of the Clancy Brothers). With that in mind, here are a couple recommendations:

Silly Wizard - Live Wizardry

Lunasa - Se (Se is my favorite [yes I know it rehashes], though it is hard to go wrong with Lunasa)

I have many more recs in my bag of tricks, but since most (if not all) folks here have not heard either of those, there is your starting point. Feel free to PM me if you want more.

I'm not impressed by most of the recommendations in this thread. Celtic Moon, for instance, is not a good album. And other recs, such as those in the op, are far, far more new age (and, in most other instances in this thread, contemporary) than they are Celtic. That doesn't mean they're terrible; they're just not traditional Celtic. So they're not incredible.

Oh, youtubes?

(not from the album; far better on the album)

Here's to King James and to Donald McGillavry.

• 4 weeks later...
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles says Hi~

I love this OST~

PS - Ya I know not all the album is celtic but it has a lot of tracks that are/influenced by it

Just (finally) finished it. Love the music, particularly the opening and ending themes with vocals and the Jegon River theme. Definitely a lot of Celtic inspiration throughout.