Youtube makes Explorer.exe crash

Amayirot Akago

Hey gang, I'm having an odd problem and I'm not sure what the deal is. Every time I go to watch a vid on Youtube, a window pops up saying that Data Execution Prevention has to shut down Explorer.exe, followed by an error message, after which Explorer shuts down and restarts again. What's the deal here? I've done a scan for spyware/malware/etc. earlier but it didn't fix anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

Microsoft's knowledgebase articles on Data Execution Prevention, which I'd never heard of before. It's apparently a Windows feature; it looks from the articles like you can turn it off/add exceptions. Dunno why YouTube would trigger it, though. Probably has something to do with the video program it uses, which is Flash, I think. Have you tried updating Flash?

Ugh, forget what I said, it's back...

I've also figured out the problem isn't with Flash, since DEP pops up whenever I visit a Youtube page whether Flash is installed or not. Guess I should try reinstalling IE altogether.

EDIT: Reinstalling IE and Flash had no effect, but disabling every add-on save for Flash and Java seems to have done the trick. Guess I'll have to surmise exactly which one was causing the problem.

EDIT2: It still happens once every time I re-open IE, but doesn't happen anymore after that one time until I close IE. Argh.

Try Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera instead of IE.

While trying these out make sure you've updated them as well as installed flash before trying out Youtube.

In fact reserve IE for times when webpages do not function; heck Firefox has an IE Plugin where you can quickly switch the rendering engine of a tab from firefox to IE on the fly with a click on a button.

I know sites like Megaupload would always fuck up and say I've already used them when in fact I haven't. Switched the engine to IE and soon enough it worked as it should have.

The DEP error box can be useless sometimes, but the event viewer should give you more specific information on what is causing the error. To get to the event viewer, just right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" then select "Event Viewer" from the panel on the left. I can never remember where DEP errors show up, applications I think, but find one, should be near the top, and see if it gives any more information on the error.