16 bit Chiptune SMB Mix

PROTO·DOME

Heck, I did this song a while back now and never posted any revisions- see what y'think of it anyhow, not too sure if I should sub it or what. (Sorry for starting up a new thread- it's just easier) Just to clarify, all the instruments (excluding the organ and various percussion) are SMW samples and the SFX is from either SMW or SMB.

Lemme know how finished you think it is and any nagging problems lemme know- I'll fix it. ^o^

img.php?fid=415

I'm not so sure if judges will take issue with the instrumentation, but it seems pretty decent!

I say you sub it!

• "Overusing common presets, relying heavily on prerecorded loops, or employing nothing but basic tones or "chiptunes" is discouraged."

Says that in submission rules, but seeing how the chiptune-y feel is intentional and makes it sound good, I don't think it's much of a problem.

Not for ocr I don't think, but an awesome mix nontheless :P

Hrmm... Y'know Will, I can see your point there.

Edit oh my god I just heard the 1up music :3

*Nods* Yup- and the "Mario got killed" theme is in there too.

d-(o.0)-b

You get a thumbs up from Mr. Googly Eye face.

You strange person Neblix... ^o^

That is all.

I'm actually going to get to WIP before Rozovian devours them all!! lol, Just kidding man, Rozo knows what he's talking about.

I do rememeber this WIP from a while back and kinda let it fade away as they usually do on here when the WIP'er (that's the remix writing the WIP :D) kinda let it slip away. Anyways, that organ riff right in the beginning, and others throughout the song, are just killer. I like how it starts out sounding like another generic remix, but that changes quickly. That little change up around 1:22 with the pipe sound effect and then the underworld version is just badass. Then followed nicely by the underwater theme is awesome. I can't really say much about the production cause it seems pretty dead on right now. I've noticed that when writing techno/electronic music, its a hell of a lot easier to mix it then when metal mixes.

I gotta ask ya man, are all those samples actually samples from the game(s), or are they VSTs? Cause if they are VSTs i gotta know where ya got them! :D

I'm actually going to get to WIP before Rozovian devours them all!! lol, Just kidding man, Rozo knows what he's talking about.

I do rememeber this WIP from a while back and kinda let it fade away as they usually do on here when the WIP'er (that's the remix writing the WIP :D) kinda let it slip away. Anyways, that organ riff right in the beginning, and others throughout the song, are just killer. I like how it starts out sounding like another generic remix, but that changes quickly. That little change up around 1:22 with the pipe sound effect and then the underworld version is just badass. Then followed nicely by the underwater theme is awesome. I can't really say much about the production cause it seems pretty dead on right now. I've noticed that when writing techno/electronic music, its a hell of a lot easier to mix it then when metal mixes.

I gotta ask ya man, are all those samples actually samples from the game(s), or are they VSTs? Cause if they are VSTs i gotta know where ya got them! :D

Thanks man! Yeah, Rozo does seem to eat 'em all up (he'll deliberatly ignore this one now! n__n) As for your last question- they're soundfonts- I found them a while back now when searching about for Megaman X soundfonts. I ran a quick Google then and couldn't find it- but maybe you'll be more lucky.

Well use a program called Mixcraft for recording only because i usually do a lot of live guitars with my music. I've been getting into the chiptunes/techno side of music a lot lately though. I actually just figured it out. I'm using Kontakt and you can just load it into the VST. Its pretty damn awesome. I also just got QuadraSID to work, which is an awesome chiptune VST as well.

Well use a program called Mixcraft for recording only because i usually do a lot of live guitars with my music. I've been getting into the chiptunes/techno side of music a lot lately though. I actually just figured it out. I'm using Kontakt and you can just load it into the VST. Its pretty damn awesome. I also just got QuadraSID to work, which is an awesome chiptune VST as well.

It amazes me why there are so many DAW's when the all do the same thing, just in a differently organized fashion for each.

*shakes head*

Have a look at this: http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/free-vst-soundfont-player

However if you're gunna join the cool crowd and start doing more electronic stuff you really should get some form of DAW- it's just easier for music production in general. (But you probably knew that)

But there ends up being more competition. These guys should do something in THEIR DAW that's not in ANOTHER DAW, then PICKING a DAW would actually be a bit more... fun.

But then everyone else would try and replicate what was in that DAW that wasn't in another. I'm sure each DAW tries to be unique but it's- hold on! Why am I talking about all this other stuff in my own WIP thread?!

Have a look at this: http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/free-vst-soundfont-player

However if you're gunna join the cool crowd and start doing more electronic stuff you really should get some form of DAW- it's just easier for music production in general. (But you probably knew that)

But then everyone else would try and replicate what was in that DAW that wasn't in another. I'm sure each DAW tries to be unique but it's- hold on! Why am I talking about all this other stuff in my own WIP thread?!

Because I tricked you.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Anyway my last advice still stands dominant.

SUBMIT SUBMIT SUBMIT *chants in unison*

Anyways, Mr. James Bond 23, I recommend Fruity Loops as a nice cozy DAW to settle into.

Yeah, i have Mixcraft as my DAW. I know how to use that like the back of my hand, and boy do i know how to use the back of my hand. ;)

Anyways. I just "acquired" FL 8 and trying to figure out how to use the damn thing. I'm sure after playing around with it long enough i'll figure it out. Its probably cause i've been using Mixcraft for the past few years that i'm so used to it now. I have no problem writing just about anything in that program though.