Final Fantasy X

Nekofrog

the PSone systems were small enough to fit into a cargo pocket, and the add-on screens for them weren't much larger.

Oh wow what's that? Are you also wearing a strap-on or is that a Playstation controller jutting from those "form-fitting" pants you're wearing? Are those cords coming out of your pants with what look like plugs a fashion statement? Man I thought extra belts and chains were "hot" but I didn't know orange extension cords were the shit too~! :lol:

okay perhaps that was forced but cmon...

robertstack.jpgrobert_stack_mumford_001.jpg

UPDATE

Just boarded the airship for the first time, wandered around, convinced that whore to quit her path of a summoner (god she dresses like a whore). Kind of sick of the whole concept of airships, to be honest with you. So far the game is still incredibly boring, and the only joy I get out of it is messing around with the sphere grid.

If that's the only real joy I can derive from a game, something is very very wrong.

I'd also like to take a moment and discuss the main overlying theme of the game. I know what Square was going for here, but really, did they have to think their entire audience SO obtuse that they had to beat us over the fucking head this hard with the allegorical religious content?

No I take that back, it's not even allegorical, because an allegory would use one different situation to refer to an existing situation (District 9 vs. apartheid, Animal Farm vs. Government, 1984 vs... well, you know), but the storytelling is SO heavyhanded and hamfisted that I can't help but wonder what the hell Square was thinking.

We have to atone for our sins? Praise be to Yevon? Yevon is the way? Blah blah blah? I really get what Square is saying here but they could have been a bit more SUBTLE about it. You can take the religious content of this game and layer it over our own society and BAM it matches perfectly. A quick character dissection as I see it:

Jecht: I get that Jecht was supposed to be a major dickbag and the driving force for Tidus' hatred blah blah blah, but they REALLY went overboard with the whole verbal child abuse thing. I'm not coming at it from an offended standpoint, because don't get me wrong, I am not offended. I just think that, again, Square decided to just hit the player over the head with the concept of verbal child abuse instead of subtly explore it and give it more meaning.

Clo... I mean Squa.. I mean Tidus (yeah, that's it): Why can't he talk like he talks when he goes into The Wonder Years Narration mode all of the time? I can TOLERATE that voice. In fact, I even sort of LIKE that voice. Why does he suddenly revert into high pitched whiny teenager as soon as he isn't narrating? From what I've been told he's narrating the quest while taking a break from it at a certain point (outside of Zanarkand), so he should sound like that all of the time.

Tidus is one of the few characters who has aspects that I actually found admirable in this stupid game. But with that, Square does the OPPOSITE of what they’ve been doing and they severely underplay it (at least to the point I’m at). He’s called everyone out on the whole sanctimonious religious buffoonery once, but let it go too early.

Also, cocks

Wakka: The very definition of sanctimonious asshole. The rest of the cast let him go on far too long spouting off his retarded Yevon-this and Yevon-that shit before someone put him in his place (Rikku of all people) by challenging his ignorance. Jesusfreak defined.

Auron: Not as badass as people always hype him up to being. At least, not where I’m at in the story. If anything he’s kind of a dickbag, too.

Yuna: Eh. Incredibly wishy-washy as a character. Sometimes she’s ditsy, sometimes she’s mature, sometimes she’s smart, sometimes she’s stupid, sometimes she’s playful, sometimes she’s somber. I don’t know what they were going for here but they never managed to keep her consistent.

Kimahri: furfag

Lulu: Hot ass bitch tig old bitties. I find it humorous that the game takes every chance it can get to focus on her tits, even during the very serious scene under the frozen lake (after the Wendigo fight), the first shot of her is zoomed in squarely on her tits while she is talking, and then slowly pans up. Slowly. Way to objectify a character that’s trying to actually contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.

But then again she objectifies herself by leaning down to let her tits hang out in her victory animation in battle. WHORE.

Rikku: They really didn’t give her a good reason to join the party when she did. It was just “oh hey what’s up I think I’m going to follow you guys around now and maybe be a guardian,” and the other guys were all like “oh hey yeah that sounds great! We totally don’t know you but we’ll take the word of a guy who just showed up from the past lol nice to meet you.” Sure they reveal WHY later on, but for the party to just trust some random stranger like that (who had tried to abduct Yuna before) was insulting to my intelligence.

As a character she’s that standard annoying superpeppy Japanese schoolgirl type (read: Selphie) that I so fucking utterly despise. Bounces around everywhere, smiles and laughs at everything, takes a comical level of offense at the smallest of words, she’s a walking cliché.

Except for when she grows the only pair of testicles in the entire party and puts Wakka in his place with a verbal smackdown that, if she had continued would probably have escalated to Richard Dawkins’ level of grandiosity, but she relented.

Seymour: They had better offer some sort of explanation as to why the latest long-haired pretty boy wanted to take over the world, because if they don’t I’m going to be incredibly pissed off at such lazy storytelling.

This was the best part of Final Fantasy X:

I have a save file right before this scene so I can watch it again and again.

Favorite quotes from it:

Wakka: "But if we atone for our crimes, Sin will stop coming back, ya? Someday it'll be gone, ya?"

Yunalesca: "Will humanity ever obtain such purity?"

Auron: "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!"

I'm sorry, but I think Tidus is the shit for sticking up for his woman.

the yunalesca scene was probably the game's defining moment in my opinion. That and Yunalesca is pretty much the only really difficult fight in the whole game, with maybe Gagazet Seymour as slight competition for difficulty.

i struggled with gagazet seymour because i rushed there every time, and so i'd be vastly underleveled when i got there. yunalesca's battle was easy if you had a lot of al bhed potions and some reflect.

i still think i like this one the best of them all. i got chills during the first time yuna did a sending - probably one of my favorite cutscenes in any game, ever.

edit:

Oh wow what's that? Are you also wearing a strap-on or is that a Playstation controller jutting from those "form-fitting" pants you're wearing? Are those cords coming out of your pants with what look like plugs a fashion statement? Man I thought extra belts and chains were "hot" but I didn't know orange extension cords were the shit too~! :lol:

okay perhaps that was forced but cmon...

better graphics than any laptop at that time, and the battery that you could get would take care of any cords and all that.

it's not supposed to be an iphone, for christs sake. it's a console made portable.

"at that time"

except the PSP now emulates it close to perfectly and has a smaller form factor and it doesn't get disc read errors when you jostle it around and you can play it close to eight hours straight

(btw we're assuming that he already has both a PS1 and a PSP that could potentially be hacked)

robertstack.jpgrobert_stack_mumford_001.jpg

UPDATE

Just boarded the airship for the first time, wandered around, convinced that whore to quit her path of a summoner (god she dresses like a whore). Kind of sick of the whole concept of airships, to be honest with you. So far the game is still incredibly boring, and the only joy I get out of it is messing around with the sphere grid.

If that's the only real joy I can derive from a game, something is very very wrong.

I'd also like to take a moment and discuss the main overlying theme of the game. I know what Square was going for here, but really, did they have to think their entire audience SO obtuse that they had to beat us over the fucking head this hard with the allegorical religious content?

No I take that back, it's not even allegorical, because an allegory would use one different situation to refer to an existing situation (District 9 vs. apartheid, Animal Farm vs. Government, 1984 vs... well, you know), but the storytelling is SO heavyhanded and hamfisted that I can't help but wonder what the hell Square was thinking.

We have to atone for our sins? Praise be to Yevon? Yevon is the way? Blah blah blah? I really get what Square is saying here but they could have been a bit more SUBTLE about it. You can take the religious content of this game and layer it over our own society and BAM it matches perfectly. A quick character dissection as I see it:

Jecht: I get that Jecht was supposed to be a major dickbag and the driving force for Tidus' hatred blah blah blah, but they REALLY went overboard with the whole verbal child abuse thing. I'm not coming at it from an offended standpoint, because don't get me wrong, I am not offended. I just think that, again, Square decided to just hit the player over the head with the concept of verbal child abuse instead of subtly explore it and give it more meaning.

Clo... I mean Squa.. I mean Tidus (yeah, that's it): Why can't he talk like he talks when he goes into The Wonder Years Narration mode all of the time? I can TOLERATE that voice. In fact, I even sort of LIKE that voice. Why does he suddenly revert into high pitched whiny teenager as soon as he isn't narrating? From what I've been told he's narrating the quest while taking a break from it at a certain point (outside of Zanarkand), so he should sound like that all of the time.

Tidus is one of the few characters who has aspects that I actually found admirable in this stupid game. But with that, Square does the OPPOSITE of what they’ve been doing and they severely underplay it (at least to the point I’m at). He’s called everyone out on the whole sanctimonious religious buffoonery once, but let it go too early.

Also, cocks

Wakka: The very definition of sanctimonious asshole. The rest of the cast let him go on far too long spouting off his retarded Yevon-this and Yevon-that shit before someone put him in his place (Rikku of all people) by challenging his ignorance. Jesusfreak defined.

Auron: Not as badass as people always hype him up to being. At least, not where I’m at in the story. If anything he’s kind of a dickbag, too.

Yuna: Eh. Incredibly wishy-washy as a character. Sometimes she’s ditsy, sometimes she’s mature, sometimes she’s smart, sometimes she’s stupid, sometimes she’s playful, sometimes she’s somber. I don’t know what they were going for here but they never managed to keep her consistent.

Kimahri: furfag

Lulu: Hot ass bitch tig old bitties. I find it humorous that the game takes every chance it can get to focus on her tits, even during the very serious scene under the frozen lake (after the Wendigo fight), the first shot of her is zoomed in squarely on her tits while she is talking, and then slowly pans up. Slowly. Way to objectify a character that’s trying to actually contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.

But then again she objectifies herself by leaning down to let her tits hang out in her victory animation in battle. WHORE.

Rikku: They really didn’t give her a good reason to join the party when she did. It was just “oh hey what’s up I think I’m going to follow you guys around now and maybe be a guardian,” and the other guys were all like “oh hey yeah that sounds great! We totally don’t know you but we’ll take the word of a guy who just showed up from the past lol nice to meet you.” Sure they reveal WHY later on, but for the party to just trust some random stranger like that (who had tried to abduct Yuna before) was insulting to my intelligence.

As a character she’s that standard annoying superpeppy Japanese schoolgirl type (read: Selphie) that I so fucking utterly despise. Bounces around everywhere, smiles and laughs at everything, takes a comical level of offense at the smallest of words, she’s a walking cliché.

Except for when she grows the only pair of testicles in the entire party and puts Wakka in his place with a verbal smackdown that, if she had continued would probably have escalated to Richard Dawkins’ level of grandiosity, but she relented.

Seymour: They had better offer some sort of explanation as to why the latest long-haired pretty boy wanted to take over the world, because if they don’t I’m going to be incredibly pissed off at such lazy storytelling.

I'm just going to quote this whole post because it seems to have gotten lost at the very end of the last page.

i've 'found' like six, but all of them jam at one point or another regardless of my popsloader version or firmware revision.

it still comes down to the fact that it feels nice to hold a controller instead of an all-in-one.

Could just get the Iso's and try converting them yourself.

Hmmm, weird. I got interested pretty early on in the game when Tidus got zapped into Spira and tried to find his way there. Also when Yuna went through her journey, but still early on, I thought something wasn't right with the whole premise of the thing, so I got vested into wanting to know what the caveat was, and from then on, I was hooked. Well, actually I was hooked by Luca, but hey.

Yeah, the game has its flaws. Tidus can be a bit of a douche at times, but dammit, I admire that he had the balls to stand up. I got vested pretty on in Tidus and Yuna, and was hooked through the conclusion. Also I liked the character development that everyone went through.

It's one of my most cherished games, and I've played through and beaten it 5 times through the years.

It's kind of hard to be subtle about religion in a story when the focal character is her world's version of a priestess. I mean, are they just never supposed to tell a story about a religious character? I thought it was brave of them to put religion in a story, since video game universes tend to forget about it and the fact that it actually influences people.

The story's message applies just as well to a less religious society like Japan as well as American society. Yuna is willing to sacrifice her own life for the greater good of the people of Spira and that's portrayed as a negative. I've noticed that less religious societies such as Japan tend to instead teach their citizens to put society as the forefront of their concerns, rather than God (like Western religion), or themselves. The message of FFX still works, religious society or no.

IThe message of FFX still works, religious society or no.

There was a message? I totally forgot about it. Was it "hate your father"? Was it "Find your own path, as long as it's not religion"? Was it "Stop whining all the damn time"? Was it Auron?

I honestly got so lost in the sphere grid that I kinda tuned out the silly-ass plot. I wanted to do was summon, overdrive, summon. The game is decent, it certainly doesn't hold up well now, but Id play it again for nostalgic purposes... on mute...

what i really loved about X:

- turn based combat that didn't get boring

- Auron

- the Sphere grid (cmon it really wasn't that complicated)

- the plot stayed true to its setting. Spira is a crapsack, and you don't get a happy ending (I don't count X-2's mangling of all that made X's plot in any way interesting)

- Auron

- an underwater makeout scene

what i really hated about X:

- the music, aside from few standout tunes, is overall forgettable

- Lulu

- the retardedly heavy-handed plot elements

- the random battle system

- Lulu

- HA HA HA HA HA (it bears repeating how retarded this scene is)

My thoughts?

Wow. This is pretty shitty. The soundtrack alone is beyond boring and generic. Instrumentation is dull, melodies are almost entirely lifted from previous Square efforts (I hear Xenogears melodies as well as other FF melodies) and generally just plain not good.

Please tell me this game gets better.

I agree with you about the soundtrack... it lacks a lot of creativity... There are a lot of tracks I dislike more then I like, but there are amazing tracks like Seymour Battle and Auron's Theme composed by Nobuo. Those are actually my favorite tracks on the OST.

I say keep playing, keep listening if you can and try to enjoy it. I've played all the Final Fantasy games. I started playing since I was 4 years old and went up as the years went on. I love them so much, but it's just wise not to compare them or you will lose the feel of the game... Do you know what I mean? Final Fantasy VI is my favorite FF game, but I say enjoy the experience 'cos the characters and story are honestly inspiring in FFX. Sometimes that's all it takes to play and beat an RPG. Also one word of advice... If you like soccer at all...take the time to read the Blitzball tutorial... It's pretty easy after you get the hang of it. I enjoyed that a lot.