Tokyo Xtreme Racer - High Gear

Grayburg

Source:

Download: Link

First remix I've ever done where I didn't steal the midi notes from VGMusic!

Also just tried out Megpoid. It sounds terrible. I definitely know. I tried maxing out the velocity and dynamics on it and whatever, but it still fails to pronounce some syllables clearly, or it randomly insists on putting no emphasis on consonants.

I don't think any of you guys bother with Vocaloids, so I'll just find some Vocaloid forum or something to find out more about it.

So I'm just asking for the usual OCR help.

I feel pretty good about the quality. Probably not the lead guitar that comes in occasionally, but in general I'm liking it. I think the song sounds better without the Vocaloid, but I needed to try it out with something.

This is a cool source. Dunno if I should remix this game or just try my hand at this style. :D

Guitar is fakey, and if you take out the voice you're gonna have to put in a different lead there, something that can carry the track. This is mixed kind'a noisy, I can only hear the piano's high frequencies, and it's in a desperate need for a touch of reverb.

0:57 sounds like the vocaloid is out of tune. The really high-pitch voice doesn't really fit into this track, at least mixed like this. You could transpose it a few whole notes down, tho I dunno how that'll make the bass and guitar sound.

Can't learn the source after just one listen, so I can't say how well you've arrangement it (could be a total cover and I still couldn't hear it) but you do have a lot of energy in there. Keep at it.

This is a cool source. Dunno if I should remix this game or just try my hand at this style. :D

Sounds like a damn awesome plan to me. :D

This is definitely a great source to remix. I can hear the main parts of the source, but like Rozo said, i only heard the source once. That vocal track, yeah, its interesting. I can see what your trying to do with it. I think if you messed around with it more, it might sound better. One suggestion is that the vocal track sounds too spacey and panned. I think that if it were centered and then with a little reverb and delay, might sound OK. That guitar does sound fakey at points. Mostly when its playing the single notes in the chords. Otherwise, its not all that bad. The drums sound very good. They are very clear and have enough umph to get by just fine. The violin/string samples are decent as well. Is there a bass track? I think there MIGHT be one, but if there is, its playing the same notes as the guitar tracks. If there is a bass track, try tweaking the EQ to bring the bass out slightly more. Or at least add a few extra notes in there, a quick scale, or something along those lines.

I would recommend tweaking the EQ as the track does seem kinda noisy and condensed too close to each other. Try changing the EQ on the individual instruments.

Thanks, guys. I definitely still don't know what I'm doing. I must be doing something wrong.

how to eq?

From lowest to highest Hz, the instruments should basically be going..

Bass > Kick > Guitar > Harmony > Lead > Hats > Crashes

in general, right?

Kick: + 100 and 3k, and - pretty much the rest.

Bass: most is sitting around 90 to 300, but it's still cut a lot at the bottom. Nothing above that. I was getting a head ache after a while, so I cut it down a lot. Kick and bass values are supposed to be personal or goal-specific, right? I wanted the bass to be on bottom.

Hats: + 3k; + a bit at 10k; cut a bit inbetween; everything below gone

Crash: + 2k; + 10k;

It's okay to get low as 2k with crash cymbals, right?

Guitar: + 600 to 1200; cut everywhere else

Piano: + 2k and above; cut below

I thought having it cover lower freqs along with the guitar would be making them fight each other, would they not? There's always a ton of things down in those freqs below 1k Hz, too. Bass's upper, guitar, piano, snare, toms, pads, leads, and whatever. Pretty much everything.

Vocals: sitting throughout 600-6k

--

They're pretty much a single track centered dead on. So it's just from how poor the dry file is. I tried putting in a ton of random plugins to try to help, but I guess not enough.

I actually took out a ton of reverb because I have this piano-roll written delay effect, so I thought it'd be sufficient. Didn't want to get "too much reverb", but I guess ..

The vocals follow the source note-for-note, but I should've changed it in the build section.

Bad habit of getting lazy on a lot parts. The bass is a common victim. Whenever I try to do a short string of notes at the very end, it sounds pretty odd, and I just quickly run back to straight roots.

I should probably give up on electric guitars. I've been trying to get it sounding good.. got this soundfont of a clean les paul, and tried messing with random plugins for it. The chord-playing guitar doesn't sound bad usually, and I could get away with it in a less rock style song, but the lead guitar always sounds pretty bad, though.

It's just source once through, random solo, then some ending. It's like that because I've still been afraid to move passed the source song structure. A couple days ago, I had a mini revelation, and I finally understand a bit about variation.

I always give up on projects (this one included), which is usually why my posts usually end after the op, because they never seem worth working on further. It always ends up while I'm working on a project, I learned a ton more (since my current skill level is so low. lolol), so if I were to go back and keep working on the same tune, I'd basically be reworking everything. which brings: why work on the same song ground up when I could just do something new?

Random Q: Why are the 1, 6 and 7 chords so popular? The last three songs I studied used them like crazy. I thought 1, 4 and 5 were supposed to be, but I actually rarely see them. Am I listening to basic music, or what?

Oih, lots to respond to... :D

EQ is really just about making it a little more clear. DarkeSword is pretty conservative about EQ, while zircon says to do drastic stuff. Different philosophies, but also different style and sound. You don't need to do drastic things with it, or do EQ on everything, just use it to make it a little more clear. Cut the frequencies a track doesn't need. Lower some of those it's fighting over, do the same on the one it's fighting with but on the other half of their common frequency band.

"Real" music, as in live, performed music isn't EQd at all when it comes out of the instruments. Especially drums. All the frequencies in the samples and recordings are there for a reason... some are just not as necessary as others. Cut what you feel you need to cut, leaving the 2kHz area on for cymbals shouldn't hurt. Just use your ears. If it's still messy, move the cut higher. If not, success! :D

The frequencies you've posted here look pretty good, but as with everything it's not an exact science. Note about the piano tho: A piano in the midst of things can work when cut like that, a more piano-centric track would need the piano's lower frequencies, those from around 400Hz an up. A sax+piano track would need the piano mixed quite differently from a piano+bass+drums. That's what you get for working with a versatile instrument with a wide range. ;)

--

Giving up after you've learned something means you don't get to implement those things on the track you learned them on - which is a great opportunity to put them in practice. Starting a new one every time you learn something means you'll never finish anything. :P Finish what you make with your old skills if you new ones get in the way, because finishing a mix is a lesson in itself, and not only do you have the opportunity to learn MORE in those last stages of the mix, but you also produce something complete for us to hear. And we want to hear it. :D

As for your guitars... If you can't make them sound real, make them sound good anyway. "Fake" can be two things: failure to make it real, or a stylistic choice. Treat it like a distorted synth, or an organ, or like a sound effects or something. That it' fake doesn't mean it's bad, just that you need to approach it differently and make up your mind about what your plan with it is.

A to random Q: cuz ppl know 145 are so common and they try too hard to be different. :tomatoface:

Seriously tho, 167 works great in minor, no wonder ppl use it a lot now that everything is supposed to be minor in music. 145 is more universal, it works in both minor and major, which is why it's used much.

• 13 years later...
On 8/26/2009 at 11:32 PM, Grayburg said:

Source:

Download: Link

First remix I've ever done where I didn't steal the midi notes from VGMusic!

Also just tried out Megpoid. It sounds terrible. I definitely know. I tried maxing out the velocity and dynamics on it and whatever, but it still fails to pronounce some syllables clearly, or it randomly insists on putting no emphasis on consonants.

I don't think any of you guys bother with Vocaloids, so I'll just find some Vocaloid forum or something to find out more about it.

So I'm just asking for the usual OCR help.

I feel pretty good about the quality. Probably not the lead guitar that comes in occasionally, but in general I'm liking it. I think the song sounds better without the Vocaloid, but I needed to try it out with something.

Super duper necro.

Love this, but is it possible to do a version without the vocaloid?