I'll admit it - I like newer games

prophetik music

For the sake of achievements, if anything,

for winning over 10000 rounds straight in a row, with realistic gameplay time of course.

Not only going in the Guinness book of world records BUT a video of YOU doing your favorite character's move crushing the competition on both XBOX LIVE and PSN vid networks free for all to download and marvel.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll admit, I like new games. Heck, I want to play Arkham Asylum RIGHT NOW, but can't cuz I just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy....:|

I have to say though, I find myself enjoying simpler games. I'm getting to this point where I kind of suck at newer games, especially the ones where you play online multiplayer. Online multiplayer could be a great experience, but probably 80 percent of the time, I'm getting tea bagged by some stupid 11 year old who plays 24 seven, or being bested by someone who knows every combo, studied every glitch or trick to expose, just to have some sort of street cred...

I honestly enjoy my classic games a bit more. Something about the constraints developers had in making the game, I enjoy. Yeah, the game could be extremely crappy by todays "standards" but it's completely unfair to compare a new game to an old one, and that goes the same way round for old games to new. Heck, I've been having fun going back and forth with Wii Sports Resort lately. I'm even contemplating getting Brain Age 2 (I traded Brain Age 1 in, and never bought 2), or maybe even Picross DS since it intrigues me (any suggestions would be good if ya don't mind)....

Yeah, I guess I'm the bane of the gaming "industry", a "casual" gamer. Honestly, I don't care anymore. I think if you like playing games, no matter how simple, or complex, is fine. But doesn't anyone ever think that maybe the industry is moving backwards? Whoa, I'm REALLY going off topic, so I'll stop....

I guess I can understand wanting to show off what you've done in a game, and for other people that's fine ("Good on you, you beat it on the highest difficulty without dying even once"), but for me, I love thinking up challenges that the developers didn't suggest you to do of or doing things outside the scope of the game (you know, like pathbreaking in super metroid)

there's just something magical about that

"This is my accomplishment, and mine alone" (Obviously if someone else thought it up first, that's cool too, but it's still something that wasn't intended in the original game)

so it's better to be emotionally satisfied, with no way to convey that to someone else? i get the same excellent ending, but i can point to something and say, hey, i got this! and they can say, wow, i wish i had that!

i'll never convince you to my point of view, and you'll never convince me that shitty graphics and (what i consider) average and annoying gameplay is better than the games i can do now. at least i can play multiplayer with my brother-in-law, even though he lives 200 miles away.

So I know people keep straying away from the original topic at hand but here's what I have to say after I've read everything you wrote Meph.

Like I said before, I believe that you have missed the train by about 10-12 years. You weren't around when there was nothing else to play and/or at the time nothing else that looked better. You started playing games, a lot of games in the N64/Xbox era so its natural that everything before that looks like a piece of trash and you can't enjoy it at least the way I did.

I'm guilty of the same thing. I can't play a "classic" atari or intellevision game for more than 5 min without going OMFG THIS IS HOORRRRIBLLEEE. That's because the first stuff I was ever exposed to were the AMAZING graphics, sound, gameplay and control of the Nintendo Entertainment System.

So all in all I feel bad because we're reletavely close in age and I feel like you could have enjoyed a lot of the classic games if you grew up around it as much as I have. It's just sort of a technical generation gap if you will.

If there is one thing I would suggest doing, is not play the classic games, I feel like it's too late for that. But being this is a VG music forum, at least try to listen to some of the classic soundtracks. I mean music is music is music right? I think we can all agree on that. You should open yourself up to some of the great video game soundtracks of the late 80's and 90's. Cause honestly this site would not be around if it weren't for the music from those eras.

So I know people keep straying away from the original topic at hand
is there anyone else out there like me?

please, let's not make this a flamefest or anything. i'm not interested in why these games i listed aren't fun, or why you think i'm a heretic or something. i'm more interested in hearing from others why this generation's games are entertaining.

This is the original topic - you just decided to hijack it for what he said he didn't want.

I have to say though, I find myself enjoying simpler games. I'm getting to this point where I kind of suck at newer games, especially the ones where you play online multiplayer. Online multiplayer could be a great experience, but probably 80 percent of the time, I'm getting tea bagged by some stupid 11 year old who plays 24 seven, or being bested by someone who knows every combo, studied every glitch or trick to expose, just to have some sort of street cred...

This is me in a nutshell, mostly. At least when it comes to popular games a la Left 4 Dead, Halo, Call of Duty, TF2, etc. I just can't get into them... because I suck at them. I am not a credit to the team :<

Now, I grew up with a PS1 and N64. Nostalgia has forced many of my favorite games to be from these consoles (Majoras Mask forever <3), but I also like a lot of old games that I never grew up with, especially the Mega Man series. In fact, my favorite type of game is the 2d platformer. This is because I am good at them, and I like games I'm good at.

But what I really love for some reason, is the newer, 'old school' platformy games. Cave Story, Contra 4, IWBTG. Games that take the simplistic graphics and amazing chiptunes of the olden days (along with a difficulty that gets hard, even fustrating, but never where you can't progress at all, you're always learning and getting further) and apply them to modern-feeling platforming engines. I love my NES Mega Men and Marios, but they all feel sort of stiff to me.

But when you take it too far in the opposite direction, you get stuff like New Super Mario Bros.: fun, yes, but it's much too simple, too easy. The 3d looks nice for the DS, but we all know that the DS can pull some amazing sprites out of its ass when it needs too. I'd rather have crisp smooth sprites then the rough pixely models. And the soundtrack... well all of this is personal opinion anyway, but I really did not like NSMBs OST at all.

Now 'real' new games, of course I love them too. I respect the limitations of the old games, but I also know that if you stay in the past you miss out on a lot. You can't exactly make Dead Rising for the NES and do it justice. And the FPS, I suck at all of them but I still have fun with them. Mirrors Edge and Portal, of course, brought some nice innovative changes to the genre as well.

Third Person games have my love too, Gears of War was enjoyable enough, and Dead Space was one of my favorite games of last year. Oh and even though I grew up with Mario 64 and stuff, 3d platformers are another genre that I suck at but I still like. I have terrible depth perception, and anything where you have to be fast ends with me dead (go to hell shadow mario/bowser junior).

Anyway, I wrote way too much and I don't think it makes sense anymore. I'm done screw you guys

tl;dr I like videogames.

We should always look forward.

What captivates me most about new video games is the social, cooperative element that, in generations past, only existed as a kernel of what its grown into. Rock Band? Left 4 Dead? Amazing. And it all started with two-player Contra.

Yeah, I absolutely love cooperative games and they have come a long, long way.. Even RPGs are delving into it a little. Tales of Vesperia for example.

New games are great, don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoy them, but I don't think I can say definitively that I like new games or older games better than the other.

There are a lot of old games that are near and dear to my heart, but I still look forward to new games and ideas that are fresh and innovative. I think that's the norm.

Sometimes trying to play a game from an older generation is difficult just because it doesn't have a lot of features that are now standard today. Saving games is a big one, but smaller things like refined user interfaces and just friendlier controls help things. Even the wow-factor for graphics can fade over time for some games, which during their time could have been revolutionary and kept people immersed. It's hard to go back and play an old game sometimes since games as a medium have evolved to something more user friendly.

That said, sure enjoy new games. Hell, even love them, but I can completely understand how people might enjoy older games too as good gameplay is good gameplay. Most games just do not age well...

Everything has a chance to be "new" once. And all those newer games will be old after time. It's easy to understand why people can get favorites. Even people like "new" games and hate "old" games will have favorites that stick with them... usually at least. And in twenty years, games like Dead Space will be in retro lists and people will say "THAT GAME SUCKS! OLD!" and 10 year olds will hate Halo because in 2030, Halo will be like Contra is today... kidding, kidding. ^_~ But you see what I'm getting at, I'm sure.

Modern Warefare 2, two decades from now, will be like old NES games to kids in the future... man, that is a really weird thought. haha.

We should always look forward.

What captivates me most about new video games is the social, cooperative element that, in generations past, only existed as a kernel of what its grown into. Rock Band? Left 4 Dead? Amazing. And it all started with two-player Contra.

and it probably ends with two player Contra too! (no offense dude, you're the man)

Heh, I think that design is what ultimately decides how good a game is. Be it in story, gameplay, pacing, balance, or aesthetics, the design is the foundation. The music of the early Megaman games were built in such a way, that even when out of date technically, they hold up against modern offerings. Yoshi's Island? Watercolored graphics that deliberately pushed the SNES to the limits, but also was also age-proofed because of the stylization involved. Zelda utilizes puzzles and combat to challenge the player by a fair bit without overly stressing the player - a sign of awesome balance and mixing of gameplay styles.

All in all, it seems to me that games ought to specialize in a relatively few areas in order to tickle our senses. Fortunately, as technology advances and ideas become better understood, the need for specializing would become less, because all areas of a videogame's design would become better and easier. Sure, a DS is probably harder to program with than the Gameboy, but it offers so many resources and applications that the Gameboy lacks, that the average developer can achieve much better standards.

Eventually, technology ought to get to the point where graphics and processing reaches a point that is beyond the capacity of human perception. That is, there is only so many ideas that can be presented to a human at once, and graphics are currently the most intensive and important areas of videogame hardware development. But once the need for further development of graphical hardware has ended, developers and console designers could concentrate on the more arcane areas of game design, like graphical stylization, interface, AI - which is when the real beauty and variety of videogames should be realized.

Looking to the past is great for inspiration, and sometimes the best ideas simply should be stolen for making current products better. Yet, it is when ideas are combined and reworked that they reach that next level. Things look bright to me, though we will have the dubious privilege of seeing the world shaken up by these ideas - which would be painful and fruitful, I would think.

All I know is that in the end...

I want to fight someone on Blazblue sometime either today or tomorrow...

I

already picked out the sound track to crush the competition to.

Be of good cheer when fighting me. :>

Beating you all would be a personal achievement for me :)!!

Edit* to those that actually know what I'm referring to in that second to last sentence, I know it's the wrong track but that one is pretty awesome in its own right.

i agree with you, toad - i don't like playing against angry 12-year-olds. i DO like game modes like horde in GoW2 and zombies in CoD5, that allow you to work together to beat a named foe - a foe with limits, that you understand and can 'gameplan' against. nothing feels better than a 10-level run on horde where no one dies, no one gets knocked down, and your plan works to perfection.

Final Fantasy IX had a strange 2 player option, too.

A holdover from FF6 (and maybe 5) having that option on the SNES. Lord of the Rings: The Final Fantasy X Ripoff also had a two-player option, but in that one you only had 3 characters and it made for ridiculously boring battles.