Heroes of Newerth

Capa Langley

Oh my god, Dhsu, that's almost as bad as those starcraft-related innuendo's I used to come up with.

Anyway, it's always fun when you get kicked out of several pub games "Because it's not worth it", since our PSR is that low, then finally once we get a game going with the odds 5% in our favor, we win it. :D

I laughed a lot about that :D

Oh my god, Dhsu, that's almost as bad as those starcraft-related innuendo's I used to come up with.

Anyway, it's always fun when you get kicked out of several pub games "Because it's not worth it", since our PSR is that low, then finally once we get a game going with the odds 5% in our favor, we win it. :D

Ha, last night we had a game where zircon, maxfrost, and I had a 20% chance to win in a 3v3 and we won it. Goes to show how misleading PSR is when you have a mix of people who pub it often and those who play only in-house.

Tiers updated.

Definitions:

God Tier - Clearly overpowered, weaknesses are too few compared to strengths, overwhelming in more situations than not.

S - Strengths outweigh weaknesses, numerous big advantages. You want these guys on your team.

A - Very good hero all-around. Balanced strengths and weaknesses.

B - Solid hero, but does not have a truly strong advantage.

C - Can be powerful if used properly, but outshined by the upper tiers. Not enough useful skills, too situational.

D - Underpowered for too much of the game, outshined by many characters, easily countered, but still potenteially usable.

Garbage - No or very little reason to use this hero, needs buffs. Too weak in too many situations.

God Tier - Magmus, Jeraziah, Tempest

S - Legionnaire, Madman, Behemoth, Swiftblade, Defiler, Thunderbringer, Soulstealer, Demented Shaman, Arachna, Plague Rider, Succubus

A - Pollywog Priest, Andromeda, Torturer, Electrician, Blood Hunter, Nymphora, Pyromancer, Kraken, Slither, Pharaoh, Scout, Moon Queen, Wildsoul, Magebane, Glacius, Predator

B - Night Hound, Valkyrie, Hellbringer, Devourer, Puppet Master, Voodoo Jester, Hammerstorm, Zephyr, War Beast, Pestilence

C - Armadon, Accursed, Wretched Hag, Blacksmith

D - Chronos, Keeper of the Forest, The Dark Lady

Not ranked: Soul Reaper, Malilken, Ophelia

And some categories to help new players decide what kind of hero they want to play.

Best Nukers: Pyromancer, Defiler, Thunderbringer

Best Initiators: Tempest, Behemoth, Kraken, Legionnaire, Hellbringer

Best Support: Jeraziah, Nymphora, Demented Shaman, Glacius

Best Tanks: Jeraziah, Accursed, Armadon, Electrician

Best Early Gankers: Slither, Arachna, Electrician

Best All-Around Gankers: Arachna, Voodoo Jester, Pharaoh, Scout

Best Disablers: Pollywog Priest, Succubus

Best "Press R To Win" Heroes: Tempest, Moon Queen, Magmus, Plague Rider

Best Carries: Soulstealer, Madman, Swiftblade, Chronos (lategame only, very hard to play)

So if your team says "we need another tank", you want to play Jeraziah, Accursed, Armadon or Electrician. If they said we need a carry.. well, you get the picture.

Tiers got a lot tighter after the last patch, which buffed Kraken, Scout and Magebane, formerly low-tier heroes. As always, post your thoughts. I'm not sure if all those A heroes are really A.

Ha, last night we had a game where zircon, maxfrost, and I had a 20% chance to win in a 3v3 and we won it. Goes to show how misleading PSR is when you have a mix of people who pub it often and those who play only in-house.

one must take into account just how broken booboo (BOOBOO, not wildsoul, important note) and swiftblade are currently.

one must take into account just how broken booboo (BOOBOO, not wildsoul, important note) and swiftblade are currently.

I don't think Swift is broken. His cyclone thing loses effectiveness later in the game, his counter is nothing too special, both Scout and Madman have similar crit skills, which just leaves his ult. 250x8 in physical damage and invulnerability during the attack is good, but it's easy to get enough armor to cut that damage in half (and you'll probably have it by the time its maxed.) I don't see how its stronger than other S-tier ults.

Dear anyone that happens to be on my team,

When I pick Pestilence, I pick him because he's a capable ganker, a decent initiator, and can carry the team in lategame if he's farmed up well. Emphasis on "farmed up well". Yes, pestilence is primarily a carry.

What this means, is that when you are playing a support hero, or a ganker, you should really ask yourself: "Do I really need that behemoth's heart to cast my skills/spells with the purpose of ganking/support?" I mean, after all, it's not like all those fancy expensive items will increase the damage output of your spells, or will make you cast healing wave any better.

So, when you're playing any type of hero that is not a carry or a semi-carry, you REALLY DON'T NEED ANY HERO KILLS. All the money you get from them is completely wasted on you, especially compared to having that cash on a real, item-dependent carry!

And THAT'S why it's a very very bad idea to cast your nuke or even your ult on a hero that's running away with +/- 100 health, getting chased down by Pestilence. You are actually actively screwing over your team by taking that kill, because Pestilence is mostly USELESS in lategame (as are other carries) if he isn't farmed up well.

That's my rant after having a game where I went 2/7/18, and as a result my inventory 40 minutes in looked like this: Enhanced Marchers, Insanitarius, Homecoming Stone, Logger's Hatchet . Seriously, LET ME GET SOME KILLS IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO BE USELESS.

A properly farmed up Pestilence will take apart most agility carries when they go toe to toe.

Wildsoul has definitely earned his "A" spot -- the buffs to him post-patch are incredible. Wild now affects both him and Booboo in one cast, and Booboo has an inventory from level 1...making him the 2nd best jungle char in the game (after Legion). Great stuff -- on average I get my Mock of Brilliance around 20 minutes.

Tiers updated.

S - Legionnaire, Madman, Behemoth, Swiftblade, Defiler, Thunderbringer, Soulstealer, Demented Shaman, Arachna, Plague Rider, Succubus

A - Pollywog Priest, Andromeda, Torturer, Electrician, Blood Hunter, Nymphora, Pyromancer, Kraken, Slither, Pharaoh, Scout, Moon Queen, Wildsoul, Magebane, Glacius, Predator

B - Night Hound, Valkyrie, Hellbringer, Devourer, Puppet Master, Voodoo Jester, Hammerstorm, Zephyr, War Beast, Pestilence

Not ranked: Soul Reaper, Malilken, Ophelia

Bolded heroes (Magebane, Madman) need to drop a tier, underlined heroes (valk, puppet master) need to move up one IMO.

As far as the new heroes, Maliken ranks a B (slightly better than Accursed...but not much), Ophelia B (beneath Glacius as support), and Soul Reaper C (ult that's basically only good for kill stealing is not credit to team).

Tiers updated.

Definitions:

God Tier - Clearly overpowered, weaknesses are too few compared to strengths, overwhelming in more situations than not.

S - Strengths outweigh weaknesses, numerous big advantages. You want these guys on your team.

A - Very good hero all-around. Balanced strengths and weaknesses.

B - Solid hero, but does not have a truly strong advantage.

C - Can be powerful if used properly, but outshined by the upper tiers. Not enough useful skills, too situational.

D - Underpowered for too much of the game, outshined by many characters, easily countered, but still potenteially usable.

Garbage - No or very little reason to use this hero, needs buffs. Too weak in too many situations.

Switching the format. Bold = upgrade. Underline = downgrade. Double underline = double downgrade.

Ophelia is a B but only in the right hands. Maliken is a C. Soul Reaper is A and possibly S. He is one of the best anti-carry heroes currently in the game.

You currently place far too much emphasis on heroes who usually rely on a lot of farm and/or carry due to the nature of the games you play at your level. I don't mean to sound condescending but it's true.