ORC 123: The fruit of the loop

Doulifée

- The Original Remixing Competition -

orcyn7.png

Welcome to ORC123.

Source Material

Last month winner was protodome and like the other the title was quit disturbing, thinking about it it can't be worse than RZ the founder of the contest who was always calling his song noname or untitled. So now let's move to the next step, a link to protodome's MIDI:

Protodome - It was better when it was in FL - MIDI

Good luck everyone.

Deadline

20th September Midnight US East Coast

ORC

The contest is a monthly contest so the deadline is programmed to be the 3rd sunday of the month. Voting stage will follow till the 4th sunday of the month. Next context will start again the first of the next month.

The Quick Rules Rundown

Step 1 -Submission:-

1. Anyone can enter regardless of your remixing ability.

2. Filesize is limited to 8 meg.

3. You may only enter one piece. but can collab on a second one.

4. When you've finished your entry, post it in the compo tha sauce system. HERE.

5. You may submit your piece as a MIDI, MP3 or OGG file.

Step 2 -Vote:-

Voting will be done via Thasauce. Voting stage will last 1 week from the 20th to the 27th Midnight .

About the comment:

You are now allowed to comment anytime EXCEPT during the voting stage..

that mean that once a mix is posted, you can feedback it, until the submission process is over. Remixer are able to fix/enhance it until the deadline. The date in the PM/Email will be used to upload the most recent one.

About a draw in the result:

It happen sometime. Both remixer are still officially Winner, but i'll ask the remixer with the less "Win" to send me his song.

SUUUUUURE it was! ;):D

Anyways. Since i missed out on the last couple contests, i might actually do this one. I just subbed my entry for the PCR 152 challenge. I'm really diggin this tune though and since its not due for about 3 weeks now, i've got plenty of time to get it right. :)

1-5-minor5-4 actually. But yes! You win! Correct!

Wait, your right... Ah well, the bass IS descending chromatically, right? :-x

Roman numerals are fine, too - most people know what they are (I - V - v - IV). Slippin' in the minor dominant to throw my analysis off, aren't ya?!

Hewhoisiam, your analysis was waaay better than my short one here - yours had something like twelve chords in it (while mine has a measly four). Give yourself more credit :<.

Wait, your right... Ah well, the bass IS descending chromatically, right? :-x

Roman numerals are fine, too - most people know what they are (I - V - v - IV). Slippin' in the minor dominant to throw my analysis off, aren't ya?!

Yeah, I guess so, however the bassline isn't that straight forward- but for simplicity’s sake that's a yes. I wasn't too sure how many people understood the numerals- but that's cool, you're right I-V-v-IV but there's a bunch of nineths and sixths in various places too. ^o^

And hey! I like my piece only having four chords!!!

EDIT-

You'll find that there's a chromatic note decending but not really in the bass. I'll give a break down in C major:

We have a C chord which then goes to a G. The chromaticism is in the first note of C to the third in G. We get the third flattened in Gminor and decends again to the third in F. Meaning we get a run of C, B, Bb, A. Whilst I do utilise this in the bassline (perhaps- I can't remember) the chromaticism is more implied through the harmonies. I dunno if you've noticed but I tend to do this a lot in my chord sequences. A big favorite of mine is C, Gminor, F, Fminor. There's no chromaticism between the C and the Gminor, but from then on it works under the same principle, a decending third.

You don't know what can of worms your opening when you make a theory assault on me, ProtoDome :twisted:. I'll be nice to you, though - you know not what you do, lol.

If you want to know what is going on harmonically, your suspending the tonic root throughout the song in the bass (well, in most of it, anyway). Functionally speaking, therefore, you are not moving in chords at all - instead, your cycling through a series of passing motions that keep returning to the tonic chord again. For example, the chromatic descending portion is moving from C, B, Bb, A, G (which is from the C chord again), while most of the other notes follow suite in a similar manner. Thus, technically the entire song (except for the beginning which does not have this sustained note) is simply an expansion of the tonic with cool color motion to keep things interesting.

The illusion of chords comes from the fact that you move your voices so they continually create chords above the tonic root in the bass - and the lowest of those notes create the descending chromatic pattern that we all hear and love. Indeed, the 'bass' in that case is using the motion, but the roots, of course, do not. You are using the chords (with figured bass) I - V6 - v6 - IV6 which does complete the chromatic descending pattern in the bass (if you ignore the root tonic that is sustained through the entire piece, of course).

I think I have to remix this, now - I've spent too much time analysing it to ignore it, now. I'm going to change the structure a bit when I remix this, though, just to change things up a little. Rawr :<.

And I really can't argue with you there Gario, you're right. I really dig the whole tonic pedal thing, it's annoying me that I didn't point that out earlier- a heck loada my stuff does that. Perhaps laziness? If we're working under one key essentially then the melodic line can remain simple and doesn't have to deviate anywhere when the 'chords change'.

And anyway, I do change chords, if you noticed the other two chords that resolve back to the root. ¬__¬

But yeah, looks as if you've gotta remix now... *whistles*

• 2 weeks later...