Super Mario 64 - File Select ReMix

Robotaki

Hey everyone!

I've just made the move into McGill and the place is absolutely amazing. I really look forward to living here for the next 4 years of my life. On top of it all, I have just settled in with all my music equipment (or lack there of) and cooked up a new tune that was stuck in my head for the longest time during frosh week. It's been a while since I've posted anything also! I'm hoping that I'll still have time to make music during the school year and stay just as active on OCR, but I have yet to see.

Anyway, enjoy my take on this nostalgic source! I paid special attention to bringing forward the natural decays of instruments and samples this time around, so it may sound slightly minimalistic. Please feel free to comment and critique as always.

p.s. all my old tunes are on another computer back in Toronto but my brother's bringing them down the upcoming weekend so those'll be updated as well :)

LINK:

Super Mario 64 - File Select ReMix *fixed

Didn't somebody just do a remix of this? Or is yours but now updated?

Anyways. When hearing the intro, i was thinking this was going to be a very quiet 2 instrument remix. Boy was i NOT disappointed! I like this. It takes the old school sound from the good ol' N64 and brightens it up a ton. I can't say much about the production cause it seems nice and tight right now. Especially the bass. I've noticed that its easier to produce techno/electronic tracks than metal. Definitely in terms of mixing! :D

That synth solo surprised me at 1:22. Its a very well done solo and adds a nice interlude section.

Looking forward to your next update. Although, making it longer is about the only thing i think of doing with this track. I think it actually sounds very good right now in terms of length.

Thanks jabond! Yeah I think somebody else did do a remix of this source very recently, and on the WIP boards as well. I don't quite know what happened to the post but it might have gotten pushed.

Link in the previous post updated!

I thickened up the drums a bit, layered more instruments, changed the synth solo a bit. At the moment, there's a pause that occurs at 1:54 because I don't know what I'm going to bridge the sections with yet. Anyway, enjoy!

as always your work never disappoints.

I like how you started out the piece, very nostalgic indeed. It's pretty hard to mix on such a small source and the bell-like instruments or windchime thingy you added at th 58 sec mark was fantastic. and that 1:30 section was indeed surprising and well done. I'm not sure what else you could do in this piece since it's such a small source, but so far its brilliant. the productions are top notch as always.

i'll be looking forward to your next update, and maybe a finished piece???? and good luck at your new university.

Edit: i just thought of a crazy idea, you could add in a harmonica(it may or may not work so well) no harm in trying though, it just seems to fit the flow you have going on here, maybe just a solo part.

The drums definitely sound tighter. The new synth solo is pretty damn awesome. I see the pause your talking about. What about a nice ascending scale played in harmony between the synth solo instrument and maybe the bells? That would probably sound pretty good.

I can't really comment on anything else cause otherwise, its pretty damn awesome.

Nice work! I think it needs two things. First, is an ending. The one I got just kind of stopped. That should be easy to fix, based on what you've done with the rest of it. Secondly, there's a hole in the middle of the mix. I think all you would need to do is give more attack to the bass, and bring it up in the mix just a touch. I wasn't feeling the bass as much as I'd like, and I think a little more would fill out the mix nicely. So either just beef up the present sound so it has an actual attack to it, or perhaps find a different sound for the bass, but it needs something more. It sounds really nice overall, though!

Just like all your other songs, it's brilliant all the way until the end. The only thing left is to finish it :-)

There's not a lot of melodic variation going on with the actual source though, and it feels sandwiched between the solos. The solos are expertly written and they sound pretty good within the context of the song, but if you're going for OCR-quality you probably won't pass the judge's requirements for source usage at the rate you're going, unless there's something else that I'm missing. When you get to writing more of the song, maybe try and vary the main source melody up just a bit so it doesn't grow stale. You seem to be pretty good with this in your other WIPs, so I doubt that will be much of a problem.

Parts of this song remind me of your orignal composition, "Falling from Heaven," which I recently discovered and has quickly become one of my top played songs. I just wanted to compliment you on that because that song has really stuck with me lately and I think you did a bang-up job with it! :-D

P.S. I want your sound library! The piano, drums, etc. are exactly the kind of sounds I'd like to use when I start making music :-P

This surprised me- awesome chord replacements, really good stuff, tight soloing too. I guess it may be a little too close to the source perhaps, naw, I don't think so. Is that a I-I7-IV-iv chord sequence 2:31?! You win, that's one of my favorite chord sequences. Wait- you use the minor fourth a lot to end the main chord sequence too. That's ALWAYS good IMO. I like this song.

Ending's not so great though.

Nice job here. Drums are a nice touch, I like how gentle yet apparent they sound. The track had a lot of challenges as menu music (not the most ideal area to compose for) so it is pretty awesome how you've done so far.

Your song has this breathing feeling from the beginning till the end of 1:08 then you kick the drums up a bit and take the song to the next part... IMO I would love it if you could find a way to some how highlight that effect your doing dynamically. Longer tailing is what I would suggest in order to get the effect I'm describing.

1:24 there should have been more musically here or at least I wanted more here.

1:36 I think the saw sine ad-lib instrument needs more Delay / Reverb, I think it would sound more "produced." As-it-is dry it has a more Retro-Gaming soundtrack sound which is cool if that is what you are going for.

As I let you drums keep going I felt like asking, "Ever thought of putting a Low pass filter over these and just automating the frequency before break downs and build ups?" Just an idea.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...