Just Plain Folks Music Awards (Biggest indie award show) - results are in

zircon

Jill (pixietricks) and I submitted our music to the Just Plain Folks Music Awards, which I believe covered 2006-2008 in terms of release date. Over 550,000 songs were submitted along with 42,000 albums in a total of 96 genres. Of these, there were about 10 album nominations per category and 20 song nominations per category, so even getting nominated is a huge accomplishment, since it basically means you've done better than about 99.9% of the music submitted.

The awards were judged by about 10,000 people (not a typo) and it was NOT open judging - in other words, you had to apply to be a judge, and you needed to have credentials of some sort. The judges ranged from amateur musicians to music industry legends and everything in between.

Here were the results for me:

* "Antigravity" nominated for Best Electronica Album, won second place

* "Depth Charge" nominated for Best Techno Song, won first place

* "Throwdown" nominated for Best Electronica Song, won sixth

* "Gregorian Dreams" nominated for Best Ambient Song, won fifth

* "Standpipe Valve" nominated for Best Techno Song

And for Jill:

* "Origins" nominated for Best New Age Album, won second place

* "Deliverance of the Heart" nominated for Best New Age Song, won fifth

* "Walking in the Air" nominated for Best Cover Song

* "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" nominated for Best Trad. Holiday Song

So, overall, not bad! We were very happy to hear that we got nominated, and while second place for our albums is a little bit of a letdown, we're still honored. It's free to enter these awards so literally everyone here with original music should submit next time. Just go to http://jpfolks.com/ and read up about it - when the next round is ready, they'll post.