*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Winter Fantasy'

djpretzel

Hi there!

More than one year ago I submitted my first remix here. But it really sucked and was produced in the old days of eJay :D. That was a theme from Faxanadu, now I have to warn you that you might already be tired of this classy theme from FF6 I'm submitting this time but I wanted to redo this melody for a long time but never had the right software/sounds/enough motivation but now I finished something. Let's see what you guys think of it.

Here's some info:

Artist name: N.D.

Song title: Winter Fantasy

Song info: An orchestral interpretation of Terra's theme

Take care!

Andy

This arrangement is really straightforward. For a song like Terra's Theme, that has so many arrangements, you really need to bring something new to the table I think. At the same time, I don't think we've really had an arrangement of Terra that's really straightforward like this one.

I don't like your string sample all that much, but it gets the job done. The harp is not bad, but it just continues throughout the entire piece, and sometimes it seems like it's the only instrument moving at points. There's a lot of dead points in Terra's Theme where it's just a sustained note, so you need to have something more than a harp filling in that space.

Those orchestra stabs around 3:03 have a really fakey brass sound in there; sounds a bit off the first few times.

I would have liked to hear some more things going on, some more interpretation, rhythmically, harmonically, etc. The piece could use some mastering too.

What you have is not bad. I'm very borderline on this. I'm going to say NO for now, but if other judges can convince me otherwise, I'll change my vote.

A straightforward take on an already simple original. What bugs me about this is there's basically only one musical idea- a harmonic pattern that repeats over and over (and over) again. Then near the end you transpose the whole thing up a step and keep going with the pattern. This thing could have really used some more harmonic variety. There is the "B" section at 1:20 or so- but it doesn't last very long and it sticks pretty close to the original anyway.

Accompaniment is a bit too simple as well- consisting almost entirely of block chords or arpeggios. Strive for greater interest in your supporting voices.

It's a pleasant listen, but too straightforward. Other than a few counter-melodies very little has been added to the original.

NO