"Raid That Tomb" - Tomb Raider Remix WIP

Mr. Moen

So this is the first remix I've ever done, and was for a university assignment that I submitted last week. Just figured I'd post it here for some constructive criticism so I can work on my production skills and such. Enjoy :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?demyyvymyet

LESSE WHATCHA GOT, N00B!!! :tomatoface:

Haha just kidding, if anyone's a n00b it's me. xDDDD

Something's wrong with that flute, EQ-wise. It's ringing in my ears. It's a little too loud, as well.

The change at 1:40 is good, but you didn't really do much but change some background. The little bell thing was great, awesome change, good variety.

However that's probably the only variety, and the rest of it basically the same thing over and over again, a little more evolved each time.

The problem with the flute is that the sustains are dynamically flat. Dunno what kind of flute you're using (soundfont, exs, kontakt, raw sample...), but there are ways to get it a little more interesting. For example, you can run volume and/or cutoff through an lfo and an envelope so that the lfo starts moving the volume/cutoff during the sustains, giving them a more varied sound and masking sample loop points. Another things would be to use the track's expression channel to draw some dynamics curves. That's tedious, frustrating work, but it pays off.

Additionally about the flute, the notes seem to overlap, either just the release tails or the actual notes. Neither is good. If you want long releases, consider doing reverb tails or delays instead of release, they won't clash as much, hence making it sound more real.

Overall production is very raw, not hearing that much processing. There's quite a disparity between the pad-like bass and the raw drums. The claps and snares are especially raw and could use some processing, like EQ, reverb, compression, overdrive... all depending on the sound you want. The flute is a little raw too, and I hear an ugly noise in the sample. The pads are good, some of your background drums seem overly processed (at least compared to some of the other instruments), piano is dry (10-20% of reverb should fix that)... Basically, find a sound and get all the instruments to fit that sound.

Careful about empty bits like the 1:35 part, it really exposes how raw your piano and drum sounds are. Your "guitar" is another one of those tracks that wouldn't stand up to much exposure, it doesn't sound right mixed in with everything, and definitely couldn't hold its own.

Hope this helps your production a bit.

What does expression DO, really?

Basically, it's the dynamics of the instrument. If it's patched right, thatis. Can be tied to just volume, or to cutoff and other attributes as well. I've only used it on tracks with sustains, like woodwinds and legato strings and brass, but I guess you could use it for anything. Nice way of humanizing volumes, give them that little extra in dynamics, but you don't want a piano to get louder on a sustain. :P