OCR01126 - Great Greed "The Greatest Greed"

djpretzel

Great Greed was my first RPG, and thus this title screen track was the first RPG song I ever heard. Great Greed is one of the best RPGs for the Game Boy, if not ever. The electric guitar in this remix does a great job of putting forth the theme of Great Greed, though the rest of the remix is just sort of filler to me. But I could listen to that guitar play the music of my childhood forever.

Thank you for not forgetting about this game. If anyone sees it anywhere, my advice to you is to buy it immediately, it could vanish at any time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This really does have a pretty defined medieval theme melodically, and though I admit it didnt grab me at first listen, each subsequent listen has revealed more of the song, and it's gotten more interesting. The lead tone is great, and the strings and other orchestral instruments that come in are really nice. I am a big fan of the piano. Recommended, but it may take you a few listens to hear what the song is really capable of.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Colour me surprised by the level of compositional quality. It's a shame that such great music can be overshadowed by obscurity and only heard by a very minute amount of people throughout history. I like that upon everything else that this mix does well, it also expands the awareness of the source by a margin. I know it is very unlikely I would have ever heard this theme if it wasn't for this mix.

Onward to the actual music, it's weird that the first time I listened to this, the piano stood out as the best thing in it. Further listening has made me question my own sanity for overlooking the excellent guitar aspects of this as well. There is a great amount to like in this mix, clearly.

This is significantly better than most rock ballads I've heard anywhere. Not a fan of the genre, but I think this mix transcends it anyway. Awesome mix that came out of left field for me. Gotta love how some of the best things come directly from obscurity.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't help but be a little biased, being a guitarist. I loved the electric guitar, though the gain was just a little high. Good sustain, though. The introduction is, if I'm hearing correctly, an acoustic guitar MIDI or synth patch, right? Oh, how I wish that could have been a real acoustic! It's satisfactory in it's tone, but in comparison to the electric, it just doesn't hold up to make it an even acoustic-electric trade-off. Besides that, this was nice. Drums were pretty good, strings were nice if a little unbelievable (would have liked a little more dampening and reverb to make them more convincing), but otherwise a very nice song!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, this was a mix that I didn't discover until recently, but I really love. Each section feels like a puzzle piece interlocking seamlessly into the previous. Also each guitar/piano section lasts long enough for maximum emotional effectiveness and then passes along to the next.

But I will go ahead and echo all the previous sentiment that this is just too darn short. T_T (It also ends way to abruptly.)

What we do have just leaves me wanting more, and this is something I will happily put on repeat and listen for a long time.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01126 - Great Greed "The Greatest Greed"