The Apple "Mighty Mouse"

This is inevitably going to turn into a PC vs Mac thread, and that's not my intention. But I do mean to talk about this thing objectively. I have the old one, not the wireless.

So anyway, this gadget absolutely SUCKS. It's not intuitive or ergonomic, the wheel shoots the cursor all over the dang place, and I find the wheel click atrocious. For whatever reason, the right click (mouse 2) button ignores me half the time. AND WHAT THE EFF is the deal with the 2" cable?

mightymouse.jpg

I suppose while I'm at it, I may as well continue to question Apple's decisions on the direction of their keyboards as well. For one thing, I can't stand the feel of these "cutting edge" razor-thin, flat keys. I like to be able to feel my fingers pressing the keys. And who's idea was it to get rid of the number pad (and half the other keys) in the newer keyboards?

new-apple-keyboard-top-view.jpg

Also, their newer iMacs seem to only have firewire 800 ports, so you'd have to buy new cables to use all your FW gear.

Apple has some nifty things, sure, and I'm not here to argue about whether or not their computers themselves are any better or worse than PC's, but seriously, how can they possibly think that this crap is practical? I'm glad they like to make everything shiny and small and either round or flat[/sarcasm], but these are terrible decisions, and they frustrate me.

Well I do. Or rather, I did, my extra mouse recently went bad, so for the time being I'm back to using the mighty mouse on this computer.

I guess really the discussion is more than anything an excuse for me to see if there is anyone who can provide a compelling case that the Mighty Mouse is not completely retarded and poorly thought out in a huge way. Same goes for their new keyboard (which I actually don't have, but I remember seeing it for the first time and being totally dumbfounded).

Having a scroll ball instead of a scroll wheel is the only good thing about the MM. I don't usually have a problem with right-clicking with my MM, but that scrollball gathers lots of crap and stops working from time to time, and there's no sensible way of opening and cleaning the mouse. Also bothers me that you can't lift the mouse while clicking without holding the side buttons with thumb and 5th finger... which is not ergonomic.

Apple's mouse during the 333MHz iMacs took a while of getting used to, too. APple should be a little more utilitarian and stop being so design/innovation-oriented. Nothing wrong with design or innovation, except when there's something wrong with the design or innovation. :(

As for the keyboard... yeah, stupid. You can get a full-sized keyboard for the same price tho, but you have to specify that when you order the machine. Also, getting an FW400 hub to plug into the 800 port isn't hard... but it's more work.

Even tho Apple is awesome ;) , they're not awesome at everything.

I firmly believe Apple should move back to the mouse that originally shipped with the Apple IIgs. ( http://apple2history.org/museum/peripherals_apple/a2gsmouse.html ) :P

On a more serious note, the Logitech G5 is the best mouse I've used to date.

Also, it isn't just Apple that has decided that the keyboard is more about looks than about how touch-typing feels. Some runs (but not others) of Dell's keyboards just feel squishy and nasty. With Dell, I think it's QC failure since some are fine, but others feel like I'm typing in jello. Also, what's with this trend of putting laptop keys on desktop keyboards?

I can tolerate those disgusting keys on laptops, but when I'm sitting at a desktop, I want the real feel.

What's next? The return of chiclet keyboards? *shudders*

Seriously, though. Aple's Form > Function approach is like a disease. Other companies are starting to catch it, too.

I can tolerate those disgusting keys on laptops, but when I'm sitting at a desktop, I want the real feel.

What's next? The return of chiclet keyboards? *shudders*

Seriously, though. Aple's Form > Function approach is like a disease. Other companies are starting to catch it, too.

Lots of this. Yep.

Also, I think I disagree with the mouse-ball for all the reasons Roz stated. Plus, I just find it easier to wheel-click and then move in any direction like in Windows.

I guess really the discussion is more than anything an excuse for me to see if there is anyone who can provide a compelling case that the Mighty Mouse is not completely retarded and poorly thought out in a huge way. Same goes for their new keyboard (which I actually don't have, but I remember seeing it for the first time and being totally dumbfounded).

The shape of the mouse assumes that your hand is completely symmetrical.

The keyboard assumes that your fingers are going to get longer from thumb to pinky.

Ergonomic keyboards don't look that cool, though.

Why all the hate Jimmy?

I'm cool with the setup. Have the same issue with the ball. My roomate who works at the apple store suggests to rub some alcohol on your finger and use the ball to clean it.

I know peeps that have issues wiht the right click but I have never had an issue.

So the correct way to clean your balls is with alcohol? :razz:

I'm cool with the setup. Have the same issue with the ball. My roomate who works at the apple store suggests to rub some alcohol on your finger and use the ball to clean it.
Why don't they just give people the ability to open up the mouse to clean it like just about every other peripheral in the world :?. I'd have a bigger problem with not having that type of freedom with my hardware than any ergonomic issues.

I use a random pc mouse. I can't stand the little ball wheel, it just feels horrible. Likewise the new touch pad where you can click the whole thing is awful to me, dragging clicks just feel unnatural.

The keyboard on the other hand is amazing imo. It feels so nice to type on, as does the one on my macbook pro. Keyboards good, mouses soooo bad.

Well, presumably its because they get a lot of love for their laptop keyboards. I can't think that desk space is an issue for people buying imacs/mac pros; maybe they want something diddly to go with their mac mini's?

On reflection you're right; it doesn't make a huge amount of sense but apple have a nice history of answering demand for features so maybe a lot of people asked for the option?

I tend to notice that when a company becomes a fortune 500 company they start doing things that 1 consumer might find weird but 1000's of others don't. Apple always strives to make the future with computer technology, and a lot of us think that the future of computers is smaller and smaller. I can't blame Apple for thinking smaller, cleaner, tighter, is better. Maybe they know something about hands we don't.

I tend to notice that when a company becomes a fortune 500 company they start doing things that 1 consumer might find weird but 1000's of others don't. Apple always strives to make the future with computer technology, and a lot of us think that the future of computers is smaller and smaller. I can't blame Apple for thinking smaller, cleaner, tighter, is better. Maybe they know something about hands we don't.

You may have something there. If you only use your computer for web browsing and word processing, as a lot of people do, you don't really need a numpad.