OCR01127 - Resident Evil 2 "Ada's Groove"

djpretzel

ah here we go. Finally something closer to the sort of music I often listen to. :) This is pretty good. I'd get rid of that flute though. I guess it's personal taste to me but I thought it was a bit cheesy. Also there's no expression in it, perhaps why it sounds cheesy. The rest of it was cool though and the beat was a surprising but welcome addition. Not least because, until it came, I was worried with the swelling pads and its new age sound that this was going to sound an awful lot like an OCR WIP of my own! But yeah, the breakbeat added a nice modern touch to the song.

To me, this was easily one of the best tunes in RE2, maybe even the best, despite its very short length. Ok, maybe I'm just consumed by nostalgia but damn does it feel good to listen to this again. The original was a deeply sad, gentle tune. The remix transforms it into a deeply sad, "dangerous" tune, sort of. And I must say, it works very well. Props.

• 3 weeks later...

Great electronic ambient feel. I too feel that the only striking improvement would have been an increase in length. It ended just as it was getting into its stride! Music of this genre typically /does/ tend to last longer, which would have been quite acceptable.

• 1 year later...

This song conveys so many situations, evokes so many feelings and memories from RE2 whilst portraying the character of Ada in a perfect light. It sounds lonely, desperate, determined, fearful and anticipant amongst other things. A tribute to the idea that music is more than just sound, but holds meaning relating to the subject on which it is based. Terrific.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

What a find! I must have not heard this track before, because something this good I would not so easily forget!

The flute is a little dead sounding, but it's still a good sample. Beyond that it's pretty much perfect. Great beats, excellent synths, and very creative progression throughout. There's a lot of attention to panning, making it sound super awesome with headphones or in an area with spread out speakers.

The synth arpeggio along with the syncopated bass give it a very driving feel, and when you throw the fast paced loop over it, it evokes a serene and starry night sky above and driving purpose below. Add a B section and double the length, and it'd be completely amazing.

Super recommended, this is complete quality.

• 1 year later...

Ah Ada's theme... A fond memory of the only game that I've completed 43 times already

(mainly due to speedrunning in fact).

It kicks off in the exact same spirit as the original: atmospheric nape, & flute.

Flute whose cheap sound buged me at begining.

But I quickly forgot about it when the low pad, piano & synth joined the fun.

Nice modulation right off the bat, and soon after enters the biggest addition to the original : drums.

A perfectly fitting pattern of what I suspect to be a mix of D&B + Jungle.

It gives the song so much energy, with the intervention of multiple synth, and a delightful near-sub bass.

I loved how the whole soundscape got filled progressively, then slowly emptied, only to come back to life shortly thereafter.

With the exeption of some very minor saturations mainly due to the flute, this is a wonderful arrangement.

I enjoyed it a lot, even if it was way too short.

Despite that, it is one of my favorite OCremix to date.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is the best OC remix I've ever heard so far. I had this on loop literally for about 7-8 listens in a row. The only thing I don't like is that it's so short...just like the Resident Evil Main Theme. This has the perfect dark touch mixed with an amazing drum beat. You just can't beat this :)

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01127 - Resident Evil 2 "Ada's Groove"