Sonic Ice Level WIP

Zephyr the Kid

It doesn't have a name yet :-P

Anyways, this is an original I'm making that's a bit influenced from the Sonic Unleashed music. I really loved the soundtrack, so I thought I'd try something similar, hence the breakbeat-esque drums. I know It's really short, so maybe I shouldn't have posted it up this early, but I just wanted to get some early critique: How does the intro work? Could you see it in a Sonic game? Does it feel like an ice level? Etc.

And this is my first song (well, WIP) I'm posting up here guys! :grin:

EDIT 09/12/2009: So I made new parts to it and I wanna see how well it flows. Do the parts work together? Any changes y'all recommend?

stats.png

It doesn't have a name yet :-P

Anyways, this is an original I'm making that's a bit influenced from the Sonic Unleashed music. I really loved the soundtrack, so I thought I'd try something similar, hence the breakbeat-esque drums. I know It's really short, so maybe I shouldn't have posted it up this early, but I just wanted to get some early critique: How does the intro work? Could you see it in a Sonic game? Does it feel like an ice level? Etc.

And this is my first song (well, WIP) I'm posting up here guys! :grin:

stats.png

I can tell you the only reason it sucks is because it's too short.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGER.

But it pretty much sounds like the Sonic Unleashed level music... you should mix in the Ice Cap (Sonic 3 genesis version) level style just to remind people it's not the same thing as the game version with a different melody and chords.

I can only say great job on intro. But it sounds a little close to be an original, and a little distant to be a remix... I'd say this is just something you did for fun. :)

I can only say great job on intro. But it sounds a little close to be an original, and a little distant to be a remix... I'd say this is just something you did for fun. :)

That pretty much sums it up now that I think about it. I definitely should tweak it to make it sound more original (because it's definitely not a remix :razz:), 'cause I went back and listened to Cool Edge - Day, and there's a part where my lead sounds like their lead.

Thanks a lot for the tips and next version I put up will definitely be longer XD

Pretty good, imo. Everything fits with eachother...though, I never played Sonic Unleashed. I played the demo, but that was about it. So I can't really say whether it sounds similar or not.

If it were me, I'd probably add another supporting line to go with the guitar, or atleast work with the guitar. That way you gain a little more depth with the composition.

The drums are...alright. lol I'm not a big fan of breakbeats, because drums can certainly accentuate a lot with music. But breakbeat has it's upsides. For this, the breakbeat works, atleast. But another way to go is to switch between actual drums beats to breakbeats, just to give a little variety. But oi, that's just me. lol

Anyways, not bad for your first post, keep up the good work. :D

@Dash: Yeah, I thought about adding a lead whenever the guitars kick in towards the end. But honestly, I forgot and thought it sounded alright the way it is ;P But, I'm gonna go back and change some things up and post 'em here for everyone to compare. And these are live drums (well, technically they're samples, but they're not processed). The music in SU had a lot of live drums, but were playing breakbeat patterns. If you notice, the ending part had more of a trash/metal/punk feel to it-something you might actually hear a live drummer play. On a final note, this is my first time (technically second...long story) using breakbeats, so usually I'm not a fan of them either but they've grown on me XD Thanks for your opinions though!

@neblixsaber: Thanks! And what a perfect choice of words :)

I really like how you said its longer, and its now a whopping 39 SECONDS!!! LOL, i'm sorry, i'm just messin around.

I really like this new version. It incoporates the notes from the source, but kinda makes a new song out of it. Dare i say, its now a remix. Awesome stuff though man.

I don't use FL 8, personally, cause i'm so used to using another one called Mixcraft. I've learned the in's and out's of Mixcraft over the past 2 or so years. I do wanna get into using FL 8 sometime soon though, but just for the techno side of writing.

XD

Thanks, man! Lol, you might call it a remix, but I wouldn't ;P Just really influenced from it

Well, it's only very rarely that I get on Windows, and when I do use FL, it's only to write chiptune stuff. But honestly, if they had a version for Mac, I'd be making all sorts of music with it. It's just pretty user friendly imo. You just need to find the write plugins and stuff ;D