OCR01129 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Dream Pipe"

djpretzel

• 3 months later...

I thought it was kind of colorful and very feel-good.

A totally new chord progression that, I think, gives an old melody an entirely new feel. I like the mix-in of the option screen and what the mixer did with that as well.

New mix, but still preserves that continuous feeling from the special stage. Excellent work.

• 1 year later...

Bit late on the uptake, but I heard this for the first time today. I've been listening to a lot of OCRemixes, especially lately, and especially Sonic. I don't know of very many songs, mainstream or otherwise, that have the sheer feel-good rush, as told by KogeJoe, that is brought to us by Dream Pipe, nor the tone that makes you smile. You have no choice, you have to. In fact, the first time I heard this mix, I giggled. An eighteen-year-old boy, giggling.

I heard nothing reminiscent of Ice Cap or NiGHTS in this piece, although the care-free sound, I think, would mesh well with NiGHTS as stage music. The one thing that I heard parts of in this mix was another mix of DarkeSword's, Just a Little More (Prime Edit), although I believe that to be a mere similarity between the tunes of both pieces as brought out by Darkesword and not intentional.

Overall, a prime specimen of remixing, and a tribute to what video game music has the potential to be: free-standing and enjoyable, even to people who have never heard the source. Bravo, Darkesword. Bravo.

• 3 months later...

Half of the reason I like this mix is because of the memories it brings back of playing Sonic 2 with my friends and neighbors--as children, we rarely had the coordination or skill to get past the first few zones, but the ridiculously neon, pseudo-three-dimensional bonus stages will always be a fond memory.

The other half is because it's an awesome, cheery mix.

• 1 month later...

I get a breezy vibe from this that I think might belong tucked away in a soundtrack for one of those uber-bright and glossy animes that almost make you throw up with cheerfulness. Not that this mix makes me want to vomit. In ANY way.

The breaks in the main melody are CRUCIAL and I'm very glad they were included. The mix teeters on the edge of repetitive ear-strain just as one of those classy flavour changes are injected. Love the Latinesque cue. It introduces a "Hey, anything goes, bitches" feel, but doesn't feel alien or out of place at all.

Perfect pacing and some really nice creative decisions made. I hope that doesn't sound too patronising. Regardless, some great mixage.

• 7 months later...

This is my first time on the site for many years. I came back after rooting through some long lost folder called "games music" in the depths of my hard drive.

A good portion of the songs I had were by Darkesword so you were the first name I typed.

I'm glad I found this little gem. As others have said - Its an amazingly cheerful tune and takes me right back to playing Sonic 2 as a kid.

I can almost see sonic running through the bonus stage when listening to this :)

• 2 months later...

Pretty nice synth pop, Good soundscape and instruments chosen. I especially liked the synth arpeggios combined with the piano, and really the only sample I wasn't super fond of was the bass, which sortof seemed a little on the generic side. Good progression of the theme, and excellent textures make this one a pretty sweet mix- check it out.

• 3 years later...

Light hearted and happy, that's what this ReMix is. The best part of this ReMix to me is the build. It continues to build up, then back down, and even get a little piano bit to it after some bongo drumming. Nice to hear something with a simple cheery feeling in it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01129 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Dream Pipe"