OCR01129 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Dream Pipe"

djpretzel

First off, I wanna formally congradulate Darke on being on of the two newest judges here at OC. He's definitely risen such a long way in 2003, and it's good to see that growth recognized. Shariq jokingly bags on me for not reviewing his newest postings at VGMix, but I DID review "Dream Pipe", so here's my detailed review from VGMix below. Nice job, bro!

Like DarkeSword alluded to in his overview of the mix, the Special Stage theme in Sonic 2 was not terribly good music. I think it certainly worked in the context of the game, but, when removed from it, the source tune doesn't really stand alone well, and isn't something typically considered good listening outside of its game unlike many more notable tracks such as the Sonic 1 Labyrinth Zone theme, for example. The big challenge that DarkeSword had for remixing the Sonic 2 Special Stage theme was essentially to turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad (or gumbo out of doodoo meat for all you H*R fans), and I think DS's unique spin on the construction of this track helped make "Dream Pipe" stand out as a big improvement over it's lacking source tune.

The second thing you notice in the track (after the viloin sythns) as it warms up is that the basic background beat for the mix is significantly different from (yet still very reminiscent of) the way it sounds from the original music. By taking liberties with the most basic of structural elements of the track, there's already a different, more accessible feel to the mix. The piano chords that make up the meat of the melody are also a lot less in-your-face than the LOUD synths from the source theme, and DarkeSword takes general care to tone down this mix from the almost chipperly agressive structure of the original.

Despite the way that the mix tends to be more laid back that it's source tune, the construction of Dream Pipe is still similar enough to the Special Stage track that you can honestly envision Sonic and Tails running to this music in the setting of the game, so Dream Pipe doesn't distance itself from the spirit of the original in DarkeSword's effort to create something different.

The bongo and electrosynth combination work and the piano predominant solo in the second half of the mix is where you experience the most dynamic rearrangement, so if you weren't really feeling that the mix was exploring new territory before, the second half pretty much erased those concerns, and pushed the mix over the edge. A lenghty amount of time spent on the more liberal arrangement of the theme in part 2 eventually leads into a bridge connecting the progress back to the more familiar melody you hear in the beginning. Since the first half had that original song familiarity for me, I was glad that DarkeSword allowed the mix to come full circle as a total package, and thereby not let the listener feel unsatisfied that the first section wasn't revisited in any way.

It's a lot easier to gain recognition for rearrangement when you decide to alter the tempo of an original song or change its time signature, but we'd be remiss to forget that sometimes the changes involved in rearrangement aren't quite as drastic and overt. DarkeSword has managed to keep the pace of Dream Pipe the same as the original tune, but nevertheless has done a lot in the instrumentalization and arrangement work (in the 2nd half) here to add his sylistically laid-back stamp to the Special Stage music and make it a lot more accessible than it's mediocre inspiration. To me that certainly achieves the goal of perpetuating whatever legacy the original music had. I definitely believe that DarkeSword took Walan's challenge and ran with it in a way that not many others could do, which is why "Dream Pipe" definitely deserves serious listening.

Was absolutley thrilled when I saw a new submission from our good friend DarkeSword. His techno trances never fail to amaze me. From Her Azure Eyes, to Twinkle Park Classic (My school's absolute favorite song...we voted lol) and to this. It's truly fabulous. DarkeSword has true musical talent and i have to say that if he ever decides to drop out of music somebody needs to give me his address. Darkesword is truly gifted with his musical talents and i am extremely glad he has chosen to share them with us. Please continue amazing me!!!

holy shit...

In Sonic 2, this was like the only song that I hated. It just didn't sound good at all...

Yet, this remix is amazing. I love it. Now I can actually enjoy the song! It's teh awesome.

EDIT: O_O

woo! I just noticed that its more of a melody! It has the song from the option menu in it too. And I love that one.

This remix is SO good. Holy shite.

holy shit...

In Sonic 2, this was like the only song that I hated. It just didn't sound good at all...

Yet, this remix is amazing. I love it. Now I can actually enjoy the song! It's teh awesome.

woo! I just noticed that its more of a melody! It has the song from the option menu in it too. And I love that one.

I swear I'm also hearing just a tiny bit of influence from Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3. Mabey it's just my imagination.

holy shit...

I swear I'm also hearing just a tiny bit of influence from Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3. Mabey it's just my imagination.

*listens again* I think you may be right, but its only for a few seconds, so I don't think he intended that.

holy shit...

*listens again* I think you may be right, but its only for a few seconds, so I don't think he intended that.

There is no 'IceCap influence' in this song, although I know what you're talking about. I used some similar chords for when the latin styled bass comes in; that's what you're hearing. It's not IceCap Zone. It's just vi, V, VI, V.

Nice new mix from Darkesword, who has graced OCR's front page many times in the last couple of months. This mix lives up to his standard with

some very nice beats and synths and a flowing vibe that comes across well to the ears. The piano is excellent, with just the right effect. The drum beats are energetic and up lifting; the mix is very optimistic overall. Personally, i didn't like the original very much, but this mix is very well done, and very well recieved.

My personal favorite section begins at 2:00. I love the drums.

As for Mr. Ansari's recent ascent to the status of Judge, congratulations (again)! If anyone in recent months has done anything to deserve that, it's you.

Darke has again proven that some soundfonts and skills in FL can bring about some great stuff...

There is so much in this mix, and all of it fits so smoothly together. Each new section is transitioned into the next so well that it sounds complete, nothing is missing. The Instruments are wonderful, and chosen appropriately. Pretty flawless, this mix represents the originals in a new and happy way, and elaborates the themes nicely. My favorite part is at 2:12 where the nice little synth provides a serene arpeggiating pattern that is beautiful and dreamy-like.

Great Work from our newly appointed judge, Darkesword.

~BlueEnvy

This song is definitely in the top 5 Sonic remixes of all time for me. For many reasons, but one of the main ones is that it incoporates the Option Screen music into the mix so smoothly and that was probably one of my favourite Sonic 2 songs ever. I think I actually started to laugh out of sheer joy when I first heard it after seeing this song in the WIP section. Darke is my hero. Congrats on becoming a judge too. Everyone should listen to this song, it is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

heh, the special stage was my second fav song from this game the first being the robotnik theme,

I _Never_ thought this would hit a remix, but i can only say, since ive heard it, its never been off, i even play it when i play games online, which i once again _never_ do, truly a enjoyable remix, very nice work =)

10/10

• 1 month later...

I don't know why everyone is knocking the original song. I love how it sounds like it's "rocking" from left to right.

Anyway, this is an awesome ReMix that makes you feel all "warm and fuzzy" inside. I like the techno-ish sounds and stuff. (You can tell I know a lot about ReMixing.) This is probably one of my favorite ReMixes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can you say "Cute" in thirteen different languages? Because whenever I hear this song I cannot shake the image of a million cute things from my head!

Excellent, just absolutely excellent.

The choice for instruments was perfectly decided and the melody just won't quit until you're bobbing up and down like a 5 year old high on E-numbers. If SEGA ever decide to make a next-gen Sonic game with Sonic 2's style of special stages, then I'd recommend this track above all else. Great job Darke, this is one to remember =D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01129 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Dream Pipe"