Your take on why is OCR so open and trusting

Level 99

So reading in the recent Philly Meetup thread, Meteo Xavier had this to say:

"I just want to comment in a genuine tone that I've never seen a web community this large that is so open to inviting such a mass of total strangers worldwide and be this serious on attending.

It blows my mind. I won't even let my mom into my apartment and you'd take in any lout from the internet who could conceivably get there for a big party. Even me if I knew how to drive cross-country.

Its frightening and awesome at the same time. Wow. :)"

Last night, at a BBQ at Xerol's, I was talking with bigadam about how my housemates were a little uncomfortable having people from OCR (strangers to them) stay in our house unaccompanied. They had no problem if I was there or if they were there to look after them, but not by themselves. I personally have no problem with that kind of trust within this community, pending I've met and hungout with them personally to have guaged their character and seen if any sketchiness is present. In a more general area, I'm comfortable inviting strangers who are active on OCR over to my place if I've never met them before, just like the FF4 listening party. Other people obviously don't have a problem with it, seeing all the meetups and housing arrangements for nearly all the conventions OCR is present at. Bigadam responded to me that my housemates "just don't understand that OCR people aren't just friends: it's become almost like a big family." He pointed at DrumUltimA and said "I would trust you with my son."

So why do we trust each other so much? I guess with common passion comes common understanding, but I am curious to see what other people have to say on this. I have no doubt in my mind about how closely-knit many of us have become. Why do you think OCR is so open and trusting?

It isn't. We just have the same situation as we do with nuclear weapons. One person makes a move and then everyone dies.

Every single one of these seemingly innocent "meet-ups" is a facade to create the illusion of good relations, when in reality they are permeated by a thick haze of barely-contained carnage.

There is no openness.

There is no trust.

There is only deceit and bloodlust.

It isn't. We just have the same situation as we do with nuclear weapons. One person makes a move and then everyone dies.

Every single one of these seemingly innocent "meet-ups" is a facade to create the illusion of good relations, when in reality they are permeated by a thick haze of barely-contained carnage.

There is no openness.

There is no trust.

There is only deceit and bloodlust.

He bares the taint of chaos.....

But I gotta believe everyone is so trusting because of the bright and friendly website design. And Pixietricks.:nicework:

It's basically why the meet-ups start at 30th Street Station in Philly.

For those who don't know, it's a big indoor train station with lots of places for food and such for people who might be traveling on Amtrak or something and hopping trains.

We meet there; at that point, we stand around and chat it up, basically getting to know everyone's character.

Obviously if there's someone who seems sketchy or another similar trait, we'd ditch them at the train station while they were distracted and víola; problem solved.

zirc and pixie also judge your soul while in your presence. fact.

I would just like to say that I would never associate with any of you in real life.

Except JJT. He's in a band.

That's it, I don't even want your babies any more, BGC. I'm filing for our divorce tomorrow. You can keep the collectible star wars mugs, I'll take the novelty NFL throw pillows.

Honestly, I agree with Epitaph in a sense. Obviously, one has to gauge things form a certain perspective and, as will all things internet-related, initially there is doubt until you actually truly associate with some of these people in real life.

But then again, after meeting someone like Taucer or Avaris and hanging out, I wouldn't think twice about having them over. And in a way, if you open your house to friends and allow them to bring guests, the chances of any of those plus-ones being sketchy is about as high as anyone you meet over OCR being sketchy (gross generalization there, don't take it to heart too much).

If someone like Prophet of Mephisto offers you a drink and it has fuzzy stuff in it, don't drink it though. He's just trying to touch your bathing-suit are. :-P

I'm going to Taucer's NC meetup, and my parents are EXTREMELY nervous about it, mainly because of all the things you hear about online relationships on tv.

We'll have to take turns assraping you.

My experience with OCR meetups: Stevo's absolutely right. OCR peeps simply trust each other in a very unusual but at the same time very cool way.

Look at MAGfest. It's not at all unusual for people who have NEVER MET EACH OTHER to arrange to share rides and rooms for the whole con. I have, at least twice, shared a bed at MAGfest with somebody I met only a few hours earlier (in one case it was a girl, in one it was a guy). And at these meetups I generally don't have any misgivings about bringing extremely valuable musical stuff.

And I don't know why. There seems to just be a certain level of mutual respect between us all when we meet in person.

Another thing I've always thought was cool was how internet drama just vanishes when you meet somebody in person. People who fucking hate each other on the internet finally meet in person, and immediately all is forgotten. Dave and Jake, me and Kaijin, and many other instances. Hell, protricity could probably walk into MAGfest and be greeted with friendly enthusiasm.

That's just how these gatherings work.

My experience with OCR meetups: Stevo's absolutely right. OCR peeps simply trust each other in a very unusual but at the same time very cool way.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I mean, Taucer and I met at MAGfest after attempting to collab a few times, and he was an apple-cheeked innocently-afro'd gymnast, and for some reason I just immediately trusted him enough to stay in a room with him and 4 other strangers for two nights. I fell asleep in a room with a STRANGE TRUCK DRIVER just inches from me (Darangen :-P) and I felt no mistrust or discomfort. It's honestly just beyond strange how, when we all meet in person, it isn't as if we've come to know each other just over forum threads. It feels like we've been friends all along. Jamspace would be an utter mess if none of us trusted each other with valuable music equipment.

Damn, now I'm craving MAGfest more than ever before so I can again experience that coolness.