Your take on why is OCR so open and trusting

Level 99

But I gotta believe everyone is so trusting because of the bright and friendly website design. And Pixietricks.:nicework:

Awwww...

But yeah, I have to agree with Pyrion. I think there is a level of trust there when people can not only admit something a little embarrassing about themselves, but find other people who are equally into it. We've all made ourselves vulnerable in that sense. ^_~

Well, my opinion is actually a little varied. To throw a little statistic out there, nine out of every ten people I meet here are absolutely amazing and awesome and everything else good that starts with "A". There is the one, of course, but so far maybe the one hasn't really been that bad or anything, blah blah blah.

I just know that if I randomly passed an OCR person in a public place, and we knew each other, I would probably be way less shy than I was with a good friend, and would be all smiles and very trusting. :-P

It's these people that give me a reason to put myself out there time and again, and put some real time and effort into something that I should've been exasperated with long ago. So, thanks, peoples.

And the minute I get the chance, I am invading MAGFest with my presence!!! (Which, sadly, won't be for a while.)

Yeah, you know, after what I've heard I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable inviting you to my place than accepting an invitation to your place, what with the drunk naked guys and everything.
That trouble-maker moved out two months ago. Our place is calm and quiet now.

ROFLMAOOOO Man, that FFIV listening party was awesome. LMAO I wish I had been there to see it myself, but Stevo... I'm with you. Jordan and I already agreed to having tons of people come over for the Vegas meet-up next year. Just don't break my shit and there won't be trouble. hahaha BUT!

video game nerds aren't the type of people I would expect to fuck shit up.

Enough said. Won't happen. ;)

I also CANNOT agree with the paranoid nerd freaks on OCR though... :P :P :P Since 2001 - ALL of my friends have been internet-based and I can only remember amazing memories with those people. It's not always negative to meet people from the net. I am PROOF!!! I'm stilll living!! haha

I live way the hell up north in Canada, a 17 hour drive north east from Seattle. The biggest city for 5 hours is Grande Prairie, population of 65,000. Basically no one I have ever met has been as into VGmusic or this site as I am. I was in Edmonton once time and saw a kid with an OCR shirt, and I almost caused a scene I got so excited. Rarely, oh so rarely, do I meet anyone who has ever heard of this site before, let alone is involved. When I finally make it to a meet-up, I am just going to be so pumped to finally connect that doing anything to break trust won't even enter my mind.

That might have been part of it for the rest of you too, kinda sounded like the case in Taucer's experiences. You finally connect with these people you have so much in common with, and everyones just gets caught up in it, so nobody is a jackass.

Basically no one I have ever met has been as into VGmusic or this site as I am. I was in Edmonton once time and saw a kid with an OCR shirt, and I almost caused a scene I got so excited. Rarely, oh so rarely, do I meet anyone who has ever heard of this site before, let alone is involved.

You know, that reminds me of a time when I was in line to see Video Games Live (Orlando, FL). SOOOOO many people asked me about my OCR hoody because they loved the logo and never heard of the site. I must've written down "www.ocremix.org" about a billion times to them. LOL That was fun to do - that I did some promoting. hehehe I have about 30 hoodies too and the only one I wear is the blue OCR hoodie. XD

I remember when everyone could talk and express their open opinion using LOLs and OMGs...oh wait, we still can. :-o Chill out, ducky, Jade's just always very excited about OCR and anything involved with it.

It think a lot of people's posts are starting to center around that mark of one of the major upsides of internet communitites like this: you find out how much you have in common without initially "judging a book by its cover", which honestly is human nature to do. And it exposes most of the flakes and sketchballs through statements, activity, and inconsistencies in posts. It is very true that when you know someone has so many things in common with you, or you've worked on a song or project together, or you've even had long, drawn-out debates with them over things in PPR, that when you actually meet them, you look past their exteriors and see how their character fits them. There's nothing quite like sharing a burger with some people you met a day ago in person but worked with and talked to online before. It feels like you've known them for ages.

Oh, and as for the Vegas meet up, we should start the talks soon because I absolutely want to spend my 25th birthday with some of the greatest peoples in the world in a glorious city I've never been to doing things I probably wont remember. Oh, and I assure you I'm a most unassuming houseguest: I will bug you about anything and everything "being okay".

Example: "JADE! Can I use the bathroom?"

Jade: "YES! You've asked me every single time, JUST FRIGGING GO!"

He pointed at DrumUltimA and said "I would trust you with my son."

He... He did? Uh oh...

I would trust a LOT of people here to stay at my place. Not everybody, though! Basically, the rule for me is that if I've met you and hung out with you IRL, I can decide for myself who I trust. Most of the people I've met (possibly all) I would let crash at my place. But I'd be a bit more apprehensive if I had no idea who you were.

Oh, and as for the Vegas meet up, we should start the talks soon because I absolutely want to spend my 25th birthday with some of the greatest peoples in the world in a glorious city I've never been to doing things I probably wont remember. Oh, and I assure you I'm a most unassuming houseguest: I will bug you about anything and everything "being okay".

Example: "JADE! Can I use the bathroom?"

Jade: "YES! You've asked me every single time, JUST FRIGGING GO!"

You're going to Vegas? It's cheaper to fly to Vegas than it is to take a bus to Vancouver.

When I was at MAGFest last year, I didn't bother to try to find any OCR board people even though I went to the OCR panel. I was with 3 of my real life friends and this MAGFest I'll be 6 of them, so I don't really need to hang out with strangers to have people to do stuff with. I met up with some Internet people in my city from the DustLoop forums and they freaked me out, so I've been sort've leery of meeting up with Internet people again.

You guys seem to know each other better than it seems like you could through a message board. Do you all just AIM each or something? I used to hang on the OCR IRC when I was at work but got bored.

You guys seem to know each other better than it seems like you could through a message board. Do you all just AIM each or something? I used to hang on the OCR IRC when I was at work but got bored.

It depends on the person. Some people I've talked to strictly through the message boards. Others I end up talking to on AIM, either because we have a lot to talk about or I'm working on music with them. Even still some others I get to talk to on IRC, AND some people have friended me on facebook, so really there's a lot of external stuff that can possibly go on.

You guys seem to know each other better than it seems like you could through a message board
When it comes to meeting remixers, I'm easily star-struck. Everytime I meet a new one I have a mental battle with myself to stay composed:

<OMG it's zircon! don't say something stupid...don't say something stupid...don't say something stupid...>

"Hi zircon, er, Andy, er...Mr. Aversa...umm...hurrr, I like ur muzic cuz it's real good"

<DAMN!>

So yeah, my poorly made point is that I feel like I know people and have stuff to discuss IRL through their music, just like so many people feel like they know something about their favorite celeb even before they've met them.

When it comes to meeting remixers, I'm easily star-struck. Everytime I meet a new one I have a mental battle with myself to stay composed:

<OMG it's zircon! don't say something stupid...don't say something stupid...don't say something stupid...>

"Hi zircon, er, Andy, er...Mr. Aversa...umm...hurrr, I like ur muzic cuz it's real good"

<DAMN!>

So yeah, my poorly made point is that I feel like I know people and have stuff to discuss IRL through their music, just like so many people feel like they know something about their favorite celeb even before they've met them.

yeah, i'm pretty sure I did that when I met you ;)