New 2D Sonic in 2010

halc

"aims to return to original game's speed-oriented play"

What is it that Sega doesn't understand here. Sonic was never about speed. The gameplay was never speed-orientated. It was purely a platforming game with occasional bits of speed thrown in here and there,

Fuck you Sega, fuck you Sonic, fuck anyone who hypes this piece of shit up.

Sonic is dead, Sega is pissing on his grave.

The cycle begins again. We're now in the cautionary optimistic phase. Sega may be off base with the whole speed idea, but if it works, it works. Maybe this will be a proper reboot/reinvention? Tomorrow is the Dreamcast's tenth anniversary, it seems appropriate.

Sonic was never about speed. The gameplay was never speed-orientated. It was purely a platforming game with occasional bits of speed thrown in here and there.

I agree. I would throw it out there that Sega could be saying "speed-based" simply because "platform based" wouldn't market as well, even though that would be a more accurate description of this new game. The fact that its 2D practically guarantees it to be a platformer in my mind, which is good. And as for the speed: the Sonic games were platformer games, but Sonic himself was always touted to be fast, and he was. If this is a 2D platformer with a bitchingly fast Sonic, I am VERY interested.

Speed-oriented.

All hail Darke, master of spelling-corrections.

See here: http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-rise-fall-and-deafening-crash-of-sonic-the-hedgehog/a-2008040815587501088

While the Dimps-created stuff was very true to the original appeal of Sonic's style, even if the new game is a return to roots or a reboot of some kind that flawlessly captures why Sonic was loved in the first place, I probably wont be interested in it. Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty good, but the run-right-grab-rings-beat-boss-at-end-of-second-or-third-level of a return to roots probably wouldn't entertain me for too long anymore. Sega should let the blazing-blue-furball rest with whatever dignity he has left.

What we all know is the moment nobody cares about a new Sonic game, and the world has given up hope so much that nobody plays it, that by Murphy's Law that will have been the one game that showed Sonic still had greatness in him. I hate Murphy's Law.

I'm not going to even bother about saying whether this could be good or bad, but what I do want to say is, did anyone else find the silhouette of the character a little odd? I think I even see a tail there that reminds me of Pikachu's tail. And the name "Project Needlemouse?" I wonder, does this game even have anything to do with Sonic?

Have some faith people, they may pull it off :P

I'm sorry to say but...how many times are we going to say this about Sonic games, or game sequels in general? In Sonic's case I am saying "fool me fifteen times, shame on you; fool me sixteen times, shame on me."

It'll be a 2d side-scrolling game about blazing-fast speed where you actually play as Amy Rose constantly stalking Sonic.

Stevo, NiGHTs in your sig sticking an invisible giant cock in his mouth makes me laugh every time I see you post.

ANYWAY

Fuck gameplay. I wanna know what the music's gonna be like. If there's any chance they'll go back to the kickin electro-funk music of the old sonic games, then the game can suck as much dick as it likes and I'll still buy it.

I'm sorry to say but...how many times are we going to say this about Sonic games, or game sequels in general? In Sonic's case I am saying "fool me fifteen times, shame on you; fool me sixteen times, shame on me."

It'll be a 2d side-scrolling game about blazing-fast speed where you actually play as Amy Rose constantly stalking Sonic.

Well tbh I haven't played many of the later sonic games, it lost it for me with sonic heroes and haven't looked at others later in the series. However, all I know about this game so far is that its going to be 2D and that seems that this could be a step in the right direction to me which can't be said for others in the series - werehogs? shadow with a gun? sonic with a SWORD? no thanks. Basically, I can't see any reason to start bashing it until more details for the game comes out, so until then i'm going to keep an open mind.

Fuck gameplay. I wanna know what the music's gonna be like. If there's any chance they'll go back to the kickin electro-funk music of the old sonic games, then the game can suck as much dick as it likes and I'll still buy it.

Bring back Drossin!!! PLEASE!!

What kind of sonic fan would I be if I didn't have some hope for this? However, I'm still a firm believer that the last great Sonic games died when Sega consoles did. Thus far, nothing has changed my mind. This game will be put through scrutiny just like every other turd.

I pray it's not Sonic Team that does it, though. Or at least, not solely Sonic Team. They've been burnt out on Sonic games for the past decade and have had every desire for innovations sapped out of them and milked with horrible results. If they could pass it off to someone else, or work together with another team, then there might be a sliver of hope. That's the only way, though. If I find out only Sonic Team is doing it, all my hope will then be shot for the game and I'll walk away.