New 2D Sonic in 2010

halc

Maybe this will closer to Sega CD the most overlooked of the classic Sonics.

Releasing that on XBLA would be the bitch.

I no like Sonic CD. :(

Besides, they say not a remake but a new game.

A new game is a new beginning.

You might argue that Sega continually makes crappy ideas for Sonic Games... well that's just a lot of bad beginnings. xD Who knows? This might be 777!

They should follow Mario's example. They keep the original feel (well the n64 3D version of the original feel) with Super Mario Galaxy but they're not exaggerating what most little kids would consider "cool" (swords/werewolves/etc.) for an "all ages" fanbase. If anything, Sonic was never not for all ages, I don't even see a reason why they need to kiddify it with stuff like swords/werewolves/etc.

I'd rather not. The sound effects are annoying and the whole timetravelling thing bugs meh.

Read this article. It'll put Sonic CD in a whole new light.

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/SonicCD

Also, I know the soundtracks are different in the US and Japanese versions, but I kinda prefer the US version. Some of the tracks feel like Miles Davis wrote them.

Go back and play the 2d Genesis Sonics. It was 90% platforming, 10% on-rail speed running.

Perhaps you should pull your head out of your ass before you post again, Hibiki.

I was talking about the 2d genesis sonics. The last 3d sonic I played was Sonic Adventure.

You're telling me that you can't charge spin in sonic 2 or 3? Or turn into super sonic? Did you even read my post?

Also, for the time (Early 90's) that was hands down the fastest moving platformer game ever made. So yes I still think speed is a huge factor, Big Boss!

I'm also very impressed with your 6000+ posts, that means you are much wiser than me.

You know, all of this talk about the Dreamcast's birthday and the supposedly better Sonic game got me thinking:

Shitty Sonic games are Sega's way of getting back at gamers for abandoning the Dreamcast.

Man, that was just market forces at work. They released it at a really weird time, and there just wasn't enough marketing for it. Hell, in Japan, Segata Sanshiro is the sole reason Saturn didn't fall into the same fate as it did here.

Another Sonic game, another split in the audience.

I'm not sure what to think about Sonic anymore. The Genesis games (save for the horrid "Spinball", aka Sonic's Slowdown-Riddled Ride of Meh) are classics from start to finish. Even "3D Blast" was a lot of fun to me, even if it did alter the formula a bit. But after all the ups and downs of the 3D games, promises and hype that fell flat, and major deviations from what made the original games so memorable, I find it hard to believe that a return to 2D is going to work.

I want it to. I really do. I'd love to see a new 2D game that had the feel, gameplay and music of the 16bit games. But my heart's just not in it after seeing Sonic go werehog, swinging swords and sucking face with human princesses (no, that's not a furry slam). It just question if Sega even knows what made the 16bit games so good anymore.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't like Sonic, in any real shape or form. I liked the games as a kid, but time hasn't been good to any of his games. Seriously, I try to play the old games (which people claim are great), but after a few minutes I realize that it's repetitive and boring and give up.

Sonic's not dead, to me - he was never alive to begin with. It all had good music, though, so there's at least something to hope for in this new game.

Coop never liked Spinball? That's unfortunate, as I thought it was pretty fun and clever. It was certainly a pain in the pissing ass, but that was the challenge. The music was catchy too.

Yeah, it didn't do anything for me. It wasn't a fun pinball game like Dragon's Fury, nor was it a fun Sonic game. It just felt like an interesting idea that didn't get fully developed... one that also suffered from odd amounts of technical issues (from the terrible amounts of slowdown, to rather spotty hit detection in areas).

I own it, so it's not like I didn't give it a real try... several times actually. It just didn't mesh well in my opinion.

I don't like Sonic, in any real shape or form. I liked the games as a kid, but time hasn't been good to any of his games. Seriously, I try to play the old games (which people claim are great), but after a few minutes I realize that it's repetitive and boring and give up.

Sonic's not dead, to me - he was never alive to begin with. It all had good music, though, so there's at least something to hope for in this new game.

WHAT? Das like calling Mario repetitive!!!

I'm still a firm believer that the last great Sonic games died when Sega consoles did.

This has some merit, methinks.

Back when Sega used to have consoles, releasing a Sonic game on there was a BIG THING. They put time and effort into it, tried to polish it as best they could, and when it was released it was often hailed as excellent. Even SA2, while a bit spotty and too formulaic, was quite a good game for its time. It still is, to a point.

But now that they don't have a core, system-purchasing fanbase to appease with 'must-have' 1st party titles, they don't see a reason to put as much resources into them.

I think they just got lazy and bitter, and now their flagship series is wading in a pool of mud. Sad, really.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!

Ok, I need to not get too excited about this in case it sucks. I really hope it doesn't suck. For the love of God sega, don't fuck this up. I have been waiting for an HD 2D version of Sonic for years and didn't think they would ever actually make it cause they were too busy making shitty 3d Sonic games.

This could either be really good, or it could just be another disappointment from Sega. We'll have to wait and see.

Sonic's an interesting case. Whereas most things with Mario in them can be determined to be quality (or at least bug-free and good for an afternoon or two), any Sonic game that deviates from what is considered the norm is derided.

Gamers in general love the Mario RPGs (a series unto itself now) and, despite any complaints, Mario Party is still pretty successful. Yet Sonic, in any attempt, is found to be a pale imitator... Because he is.

Sonic is unfortunately the result of Sega's direct competition with Nintendo in the 90s, and has yet to find his place as a standalone series, free of Mario's comparison. I think, for a Sonic game to truly be upheld as an instant classic worthy of the earlier games, it can't just rehash those games mechanics and ideas, or attempt to imitate the star-collection or genre shifting that Mario does. Sonic needs a new idea, something not even Mario has done, to really stand on its own.

That said, I'm not sure what that could be. It needs to be something that can't be written off as a gimmick.