NSF, SPC, etc, on ipod touch

The Biznut

Ispired by the OCRemix on ipod thread.

Reading that thread reminded me that once every 4 months for the past 2 and a half years I spend about 5 hours trying to find something along these lines and then give up. I know that for pre 5th gen Ipods you could install Rockbox or something on your ipod and get a player for NSF files, etc. I am not interested in that, I would like an app or something for my ipod touch.

I do understand I can just get mp3's, I have many of them. I want the file size convenience that nsf and other similar files offers. Greedy, I know.

I have searched google extensively, so I guess this is kind of my last kick at the can before letting it go for another 4 months, lol.

Anyone got anything on this?

• 7 months later...

Doesn't work on an iPod touch. The firmware for the iPod touch is a whole different beast so, if anything, Rockbox would have to go the approach of making an app for either a legit or jailbroken iPod touch or iPhone.

I talked about this some time ago on IRC, considering since there is already a prime example of a chiptunes app that works great, and even has bundled features to get the tunes on there.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sid-player/id300205592?mt=8

That's a C64 player that has a direct linkup to the High-Voltage archive, and you can download the whole thing as once or just each tune as you play it (iPod touch needs WiFi connection to download, obviously). However, as a concept, this definitely shows that playing those kinds of game music files can and would work. Especially with the increased processing power of the touch over the previous iPod generations, and the fact that jailbroken iPhones already have working emulators for a number of systems, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Here's to hoping someone picks up the challenge cause I'd love it just as much as you would, Biznut.

The advantages of having the files on there as opposed to the mp3's are worth it, IMO. The filesize is DEFINITELY an advantage, as well as for organizational sake (nsf and other filetypes that store multiple songs in one file). Plus you wouldn't have to worry about degradation of quality from the transfer to mp3.

This is a stretch but any rooted android devices running something like cyanogenmod can easily play chip formats, supposedly the iphone has been made to run android now it's a possibility that it could run on ipod touch. Would play just about any possible format you throw at it, but would require a whole os change on the ipod meaning no apple apps.

Not at all convenient or simple but it could happen somewhere down the road.

Rozovian, I'm pretty familiar with Rockbox, that was a good recommendation, and Stevo when I get my iphone I'll be checking out that app for sure.

I think my best solution is to buy an older ipod or other mp3 player on the cheap, throw rockbox on it and then use it exclusively for these file types, it'll be my VGpod. Even a 2gig would cover the full library of nsf and spc files if I am not mistaken. (I think I have a full lib of nsf on my external somewhere...) If not then I'm pretty sure I can whittle it down :-)

to ebay!

nsf - definitely fits onto 2gb

spc - not so sure. I'll check my folder size later tonight. I bought my last mp3 player SPECIFICALLY to play chiptunes with rockbox (Toshiba Gigabeat F40) and it's been great. Wish it supported more filetypes though, but I'm not getting into that issue again. :3 Just thankful for anything that works.

The quality of NSF emulation is a bit rough with rockbox. What's nice is that it supports NSFE files as well (recommended if you want to listen to an NES soundtrack like an album)... but then again it fails to display track names. It'd be cool if someone updated it to make it nicer and use better emulation.

Heh, the problem is this, though: we can complain about the lack of support and apps til the cows come home (I can't believe I used that phrase), but unless we're planning on doing any of this coding ourselves, we're still just banking on other people doing it for us. So does anyone know, or know anyone who knows, what they're doing with looking into this kind of coding?

[waits for nothing but silence]

:tomatoface:

I think my best solution is to buy an older ipod or other mp3 player on the cheap, throw rockbox on it and then use it exclusively for these file types, it'll be my VGpod.

May I recommend getting a Sandisk Sansa e200 series. Don't get the one that comes with Rhapsody or whatever though (I think it's called e200r) because they don't take to Rockbox as well as the regular old ones.

I've got a Sansa e260. Got it for $20 from woot.com. That's the 4GB one; has a microSD slot so with the default firmware you can expand it by another 4GB. Slap Rockbox on that bad boy and you've got yourself a hell of a mp3 player. Can even play Doom on it, or run gameboy emulators. Not to mention of course play NSF/SPC/IT/MIDI/OGG/etc/etc. Plus with Rockbox I believe you can even use a 32GB SDHC card which as you can imagine, is friggen awesome (though those micro SDHC cards aren't very cheap).

Heh, the problem is this, though: we can complain about the lack of support and apps til the cows come home (I can't believe I used that phrase), but unless we're planning on doing any of this coding ourselves, we're still just banking on other people doing it for us. So does anyone know, or know anyone who knows, what they're doing with looking into this kind of coding?

Oh I've done more than a bit of iPhone programming. Developing an NSF or other soundchip player wouldn't be difficult, existing player code could be ported - it's more a problem of user experience.

You illustrate in your earlier post the reason a SIDplayer works out on the iPhone: Because it doesn't sync to your computer, it syncs to a central repository (HVSC) over the web. The C64 scene is very sophisticated with this; there's nothing similar for NSFs/SPCs/etc.

There's no easy/official way to sync data to the iPhone outside of iTunes, which won't let you sync NSFs. Users would have to leverage something like iPhone Explorer to place their NSFs on their phone.

In summary: It's doable, but it wouldn't have the cleanest of implementations.

Oh I've done more than a bit of iPhone programming. Developing an NSF or other soundchip player wouldn't be difficult, existing player code could be ported - it's more a problem of user experience.

You illustrate in your earlier post the reason a SIDplayer works out on the iPhone: Because it doesn't sync to your computer, it syncs to a central repository (HVSC) over the web. The C64 scene is very sophisticated with this; there's nothing similar for NSFs/SPCs/etc.

There's no easy/official way to sync data to the iPhone outside of iTunes, which won't let you sync NSFs. Users would have to leverage something like iPhone Explorer to place their NSFs on their phone.

In summary: It's doable, but it wouldn't have the cleanest of implementations.

there's a huge listing of NSFs over at hcs64, completely organized. In fact, that's the site I used to make my own chiptunes-dedicated hard drive. The site probably has more that 150GBs of organized chiptunes formats.

Example: http://nsf.hcs64.com/

The root source is vgm.hcs64.com. Obviously, we would need some mirror and not using that actual site (don't want to leech bandwidth), but having something like that online, organized, do you think it could be feasible, analoq? I'm assuming that is a step in the right direction towards the organization the C64 scene has.

Honestly, if there's any way I can contribute to helping get one out there, since I myself don't know the programming, I'm willing to go for it. I keep looking at how well foobar uses its plugins to support additional sound formats and thinking that'd be an avenue to look at for porting.

The root source is vgm.hcs64.com. Obviously, we would need some mirror and not using that actual site (don't want to leech bandwidth), but having something like that online, organized, do you think it could be feasible, analoq? I'm assuming that is a step in the right direction towards the organization the C64 scene has.

That is indeed a step in the right direction. It's all feasible, there's no difficulties technology-wise. Even so, building and maintaining such an app would be a lot work. Enough work that I couldn't possibly offer to do it for free; the app would have to be priced to recoup the time & money* invested in it. I don't know how the hcs64 folks would feel about that. It may be simpler (even though less user friendly) to have users go the iPhone Explorer route. *shrug* There's a lot to think about.

*it costs $100/year to host an app on the app store

That is indeed a step in the right direction. It's all feasible, there's no difficulties technology-wise. Even so, building and maintaining such an app would be a lot work. Enough work that I couldn't possibly offer to do it for free; the app would have to be priced to recoup the time & money* invested in it. I don't know how the hcs64 folks would feel about that. It may be simpler (even though less user friendly) to have users go the iPhone Explorer route. *shrug* There's a lot to think about.

*it costs $100/year to host an app on the app store

Oh, totally understandable. Just tossing ideas around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry for the necro-bump but I had to let you know:

There IS an app for playing chiptunes on your iPhone / iPod touch / iPad, and that plays about 400 (!) different formats, including GBS, NSF, SPC and many more. It even has direct access to Modland and HVSC databases to allow downloads from there. Also, you can browse the web (this site, for example), download compatible chiptunes here and play them!

As an added bonus, there's an in-built FTP server, so you can upload your local collection and directory tree up to your iDevice...

That app is called Modizer, here in Germany it costs 0,79 €, should be about 99 cents for americans.

Hope this helps anybody out there...

Cheers, NinjaN