OCR00127 - 7th Guest "AmIEviL"

7th Guest 'AmIEviL'

Minimal arranged string sorta-spooky stuff. The first thing I thought was that it was a little strange having the kick in one ear and the snare in the other, but it does seem to work. The drum beat is like a slowish marching band type rhythm. I think it sounds pretty good, but it really drags at bit, so you've got to be a little patient. Oh, and obviously AmIEvil did this (nudge, nudge - the title), so I don't need to tell you that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...listening to this mix now, I see that it is very ambient (something I missed before). Deffinetley not my favorite ambient piece or work of AmIEvil's, mostly becuase as Jivemaster put it, it lingers on. I think AmIEvil could have spent a little more time to make it evolve a little more. I give it a 5/10, its just average in my opnion.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, this is an interesting piece, I dont know if any of you out there have played this game, but I have. This mix seems to be only a little different then the acctual game track... I was expecting a cool synth in the backgroud or an unexpected twist at the end, but sadly ther was not... Oh well This is a great ambience though, I like it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the dark theme that flows through the 1:50 of the mix, but it doesn't really have any flavor or excitement. I know, you can't really have excitement in a mix like this, but you can! Add some little jumps or jitters here and there...

This is a good mix to listen to as long as your not too depressed.

5/10

• 4 months later...

I enjoyed the very ominous, dark feeling from I got in the beginning to about 00:25. The whole song feels generally very bleak, very lonely, which is interesting. The only thing I disliked about the piece were the drums in the middle, that gave off more of a miliatary feel than enhancing the overall dark, dank feeling in my opinon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to say that this one is on my top 15. Love how you brought the drums in, sounds like those of a marching band. Piano sounds lovely, too. Oh, forgot about the production. The production is very well done, crisp sounds coming from both headphones, lovely dark effects thrown in to the mix, loving it.

• 1 year later...

Great atmosphere and pacing, but it didn't really develop. It ended before it started to repeat, which I suppose is better than it droning on, but it established a really cool mood and built on it very well I thought, I just would have liked to have heard a second section.

Production was solid and the soundscape seemed to go on forever. Check this track out, though you might have to loop it a few times in order to make it feel long enough. :-)

• 10 months later...

This mix is interesting, because it's not even close to being OCRemix's shortest mix, but seems terribly short regardless. When you compare it to 'MindOfTheMotherBrain', another of AmIEvil's mixes which is just 6 seconds longer, you'll notice that the Metroid mix uses up its short time much more effectively and as a result feels about 75% longer than the mix at hand.

I don't think it is just because 'MindOfTheMotherBrain' is a better mix (although it is). It probably has more to do with the shape of the mix. 'AmIEvil' takes us from A to B pretty methodically in one perfectly drawn arc. My theory is that when we can see our destination, we get there faster, and that's the case with this mix. There just isn't enough substance to brake our pace.

Overall, an unsurprising and brief listen, but so is a lot of videogame music in general. It makes the grade.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Short as it is, it plays up the whole "background ambiance with a bit of a tune" thing pretty well. Hard to say much else other than that I think this is a pretty good example of how hitting the right emotion or tone with an arrangement can help make a mix work more. Not bad.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00127 - 7th Guest "AmIEviL"