Home network woes.

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Hey gang, I probably already mentioned it in Off-topic somewhere, but we recently finished closing off part of the upstairs of our penthouse into a sort of entertainment/lounge room, and I'll be needing a better wireless router to get a good net signal up there.

Currently, I'm using a Linksys WRT45G that we bought back in '05 for all our networking duties, however being that the houses and apartments here are built with concrete n' stuff, it's kind of hard to get a decent signal from my room(router location and corner of the apartment) to the new room upstairs. There's also the matter that whenever there's another wireless device activated, there's an abnormal level of net congestion present. O usually attribute it to either my mother or stepfather's laptops aren't properly maintained or the fact that I'm operating on an almost 6 year old router that isn't in the best of shape... Or it could just be the natural side effect of having multiple devices on the LAN at once.

Anyway, I like Linksys, so I was thinking of upgrading to a wireless N model, but I'm not sure of a few things. All our devices are wireless G, so obviously we probably won't get insane speed gains, but would we still have access to the full range of the router I.E would I get a better signal upstairs? Would the network congestion be lowered at all?

Any advice would be appreciated, as well as any recommendations for other brands. Thanks in advance.

TL;DR: I needs a new router. Is wireless N a sure-fire bet?

i don't use n, and it doesn't really make a huge difference. stick with g.

Last I heard, N still hasn't been finalized as a standard yet. Also, are you sure your router isn't a WRT54G? The Linksys website doesn't even list a WRT45G. Any ways, take a look at installing DD-WRT on your router by default the firmware increases the signal strength and if you don't mind frying your router you can increase it further.