OCR01949 - *YES* Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei 'Lagi's Takeoff'

Palpable

ReMixer Name: MattInc

Submission info:

Game arranged: Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Sega Saturn)

Song arranged: "The Great Ravine"

Link to original soundtrack: (I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but here's a list of songs from the album) http://www.soundtrackcentral.com/cds/panzerdragoon2zwei_ost.htm

Original source:

Comments:

Hey all! I recently got into the Panzer Dragoon series. Upon playing the first game, I just HAD to buy the second one. I started playing, and by the time I hit the second level, I fell in love with the music. Sure, it was completely synthetic, but the compositions themselves were unlike anything I have heard in a game before. Upon beating the game, I decided to arrange my favorite track, "The Great Ravine."

Throughout this year, I have worked on this piece off and on. Just recently, I picked it up again and decided to add a lot of changes. I can say I am very satisfied with the final product and the changes I have made to it.

If you have listened to a lot of my original pieces, you'll notice many familiar elements in this piece. In this, I tried to make the melody itself more prominent, as well as evoke more of a tribal sound.

All in all, I hope you will enjoy this piece, and thank you for listening to it!

(Please note that this remix plays at a lower key than in the original.)

-Matt

Starts out with a pretty nice lush sound. I love those pads mixed with ethnic instruments, and some choir chants are nice as well. I think all the sounds chosen work well together, and production-wise, this is over the bar. It wasn't free from areas that could use improvement, however.

The brass attacks were a bit samey- i think a little more velocity smoothing would have improved it, but the sound itself is well filled out. It's a nice phrase that really adds to the build without taking too much spotlight away from the original writing.

The arrangement was pretty damn cool, it really suits the original theme, A+ there, IMO.

The weak point was the ending, I think, it needed more of a flourish to really succeed with your intent, but as-is I think it is passable. The idea itself was great, but the execution was a little weak. I'd either have the voices continue with the crescendo, and then add the pad, or just cut the pad out all together.

So, overall a lot of nit-picky issues with this one, but it can all be things to work on for your next sub, because this one works pretty darn well.

yes

• 3 weeks later...

Great sound here, atmospheric yet powerful. Cinematic, let's say. This clearly plays homage to the original because of the source melodies being present most of the time, but the underlying chords and new background parts give it a completely different character. I second that the brass attacks are a weak spot, but there's so much goodness to make up for it. I will ask him if we get the ending to fadeout at least.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

The original is really neat. I haven't heard much of the Panzer Dragoon series music but I'm impressed. Anyway, this remix is an excellent take on the source! I'm a sucker for blends of electronic, acoustic and world instruments so I really enjoyed listening to this. My only complaints are that the orchestral instruments pale a bit in quality to everything else, namely the brass. However, the creative interpretation, unique atmosphere and otherwise strong production make up for this.

I wish there were more. Do an extended cut sometime!

YES