OCR01166 - *YES* Legend of the Mystical Ninja 'From Ghosts Emerge Beasts'

djpretzel

Hello there.

I have submitted this work previously, though (due to file delivery methods, I suspect) the mix was rejected before even hitting the judges panel. It is a thrash/black metal remix of the "Cat Kurobei" theme from Legend of the Mystical Ninja, on the Super Nintendo. I have titled it "From Ghosts Emerge Beasts."

The thrash metal elements from the piece stem from how the guitar parts are executed, including the drumming. The soloing is also "thrashy," and the distortion used on the guitars (ran through a Laney amplifier) was created to mimic the sound of 80's metal thrash groups. The black metal parts of the piece come out in execution as well, with lots of tremelo picking, double-bass, keyboard parts, and also the way the melody is presented throughout the piece. The final, acoustic closing section is also based on black metal ideas (jazz guitar over acoustics, for example), though I took creative liberties in making it sound more Japanese-like at that part, for a little added texture.

I hope that you find the mix enjoyable, and something different from what has been done on the site before. You can find the mix in either of these two places:

Thank you for your time, and I can not wait to hear a response, Eradicate

Shop online for kids’ toys by age group, price range, and toy category at MSN Shopping. No waiting for a clerk to help you! http://shopping.msn.com

• 4 weeks later...

These sounds are definitely low-fi (downloaded 'heavily updated' version from soundclick), but the real problem here as I see it is not the samples or even the huffy guitar sound; it's that the whole mix is stale from beginning to end. There is nothing else going on besides heavily retriggered guitar and simple drums, so most of the track sounds empty and dry without any sonic variety. No pudding.

The guitar composition is indeed rockin' (not sure about that tempo transition ~ 4:14), but the instrumentation is sparse, the sound is unconvincing, and the arrangement is cut and dry.

NO