Symphonic Fantasies (VG concert). YouTube links in post #25.

RouWa

Both Nobuo and Yasunori were at that show. Audience went wild when their names were called before the CT/CC performance.

Ok, rather than getting these tracks up by the end of the day (which is 4 hours for me), it may take a little longer... first, compressing it as much as I can and then taking an all too long time to upload it, which I'll have to wait until everyone else is asleep and off the internet to do that (because my uploading speed kinda sucks).

I think my favourite moment (and funniest moment) was the Chocobo + Bombing Mission moment.

EDIT: I suck at compressing.

was nobuo at that show?!?!

He is always there when invited. The concert is an anual event, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonic_Game_Music_Concerts

In 2004 Uematsu gave me an autograph on my Waldorf microQ synthesizer:

synthuematsu.jpg

Nobuo Uematsu.

synthkoshiro.jpg

Yuzo Kohiro.

synthhuelsbeck.jpg

Chris Huelsbeck, who is more famous here in Germany than the other two together (the image is out of focus. I have a sharp one elswhere).

synthshirt.jpg

OCR T-shirt + mQ with all three autographs.

I have been there four times. The concert used to be the opening event for the Games Convention (2003-2008 ) in Leipzig. This year the GC (now GamesCom) was in Cologne. The concert takes place half a month after the GC. It's simply too expensive to travel to Cologne just for the concert. A concert ticket itself is quite cheap though. Prices start at just 6 €.

They also take away your camera at the entrance unless you are a journalist. If I go to such an event, photos are the least I want.

Ok, UPLOADED!

http://www.mediafire.com/?wdmdjnyzumt

As I previously said, the Encore is slightly screwy as far as the intro goes, but asides from that, everything there should be of decent sound quality. And yes, it's about a 100MB .rar download (the tracks did not compress at all). Then again, it's nearly 80 minutes long... you could just stick it all on an audio CD.

Hi, Im new to the forums. Been checking out the site for quite some time, but never joined.

I've recorded the concert too and uploaded them as separate files. There's also the complete version of the encore ;)

1. Opening

2. Kingdom Hearts

3. Secret of Mana

4. Chrono Trigger/ Chrono Cross

5. Final Fantasy

6. Encore

I've also uploaded the uncut version for when you understand german and want to hear the presentation and the audiodocumentary about gamemusic that was broadcasted during the break.

Uncut version

I have been there four times. The concert used to be the opening event for the Games Convention (2003-2008 ) in Leipzig. This year the GC (now GamesCom) was in Cologne. The concert takes place half a month after the GC. It's simply too expensive to travel to Cologne just for the concert. A concert ticket itself is quite cheap though. Prices start at just 6 €.

They also take away your camera at the entrance unless you are a journalist. If I go to such an event, photos are the least I want.

I've just come back from Köln, I flew from England on Saturday and came back today. I got to meet Nobuo (and the others of course) so it was totally worth it, plus the concert was amazing. Also they didn't take away my camera, so I have a picture with Nobuo as well as a few CDs signed. I don't think they took anyone's cameras away.

I'm pretty sure he was just talking in general about the original game music and a little of the arrangements and the composers... cause I definitely heard "Nobuo Uematsu" and then a humoungous cheer, and a little bit later, "Yasunori Matsuda" with an almost a big cheer. If there was anything else, I have no clue what it was.

I attended this as well, and was lucky enough to get to meet all the composers at their hotel later on. My girlfriend has had her DS signed by them all now!

So, the guy who came on stage in between the sets and talked german.. Does anyone know what he was talking about?

They're all announcements of the composer you're about to hear. He tells a bit about their history in game music, like Mitsuda getting help from Uematsu with Chrono Trigger and Uematsu being one of the most famous composers in the industry. Ow and about Uematsu brewing his own kind of beer LOL.

These arrangements were primarily the brainchild of one Jonne Valtonen. I took the liberty of contacting him and we had the following exchange:

I just saw some of the footage from the Symphonic Fantasies concert on Youtube, and it's amazing! Absolutely incredible arrangements! Please tell me there are plans for an album release of this music so I can purchase it!

A fan,

[Antelucan]

Hi [Antelucan],

And glad to hear that you liked the concert! There seems to be quite a strong pull towards CD production, so lets see.. I think this thing will be cleared in couple of weeks.. There will be more info on www.symphonicfantasies.com I believe..

Yours,

Jonne

;-)

• 4 years later...

Dredging this topic up again, and for good reason.

There was a relatively recent performance of this concert in Tokyo, released in the form of Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo.

While the core composition of the arrangements remains the same, the implementation is even stronger here; a lot of the muddiness has been removed, and some small instrumentation tweaks will leap out to anyone who's heard the original performance. It feels like the orchestra had a much longer period to practice beforehand, and the rough bits in the original are smoothed over here. The entire orchestra does a better job at staying in sync in the sections with more unusual meter involved (looking at you, Chrono Cross' 'Gale'.)

The shining gem of this latest performance, though, is undoubtedly the Final Boss Encore, which has undergone a full rewrite and is simply beyond incredible. I actually think giving too much detail constitutes as a musical spoiler, so I will just let you hear it for yourself. Just listen carefully toward the end of the track: the choir's lyrics might surprise you!

Encore: Final Boss Suite (Also contains the entire performance)