OCR01903 - Final Fantasy X "Judgement"

djpretzel

To be honest I really don't know what to say about this one...well the judges liked it so I guess it can't be that bad. I'd definitely have to complain about the length, personally (I prefer 12-minute-or-longer epics), but it's technically sound.

Being that it seems primarily to be a percussion piece I can suppose that the length is appropriate, and though I don't quite agree with the Mel Gibson stars-and-stripes comment on the remix page I can definitely view this as the sort of thing you'd hear in a montage of some sort.

Great first post, keep up the good work, hope to see more.

One thing that threw me off is that the drumming sounded too muted - I would've liked to hear some of it brought more to the front. I also thought some of the drumming arrangement sounded a bit strange in the choice of what to play for the drums, especially around 0:52-0:53.

The transitions are done well, but I find this to be a solemn mix for the most part, and the section in the middle without the drumming rubs off as a little out of place in its bit of hopefulness. It's nice seeing some creativity here though!

I must say I'm very impressed at the track choice, I'd think this'd be the most ignored that in the soundtrack. I love the game, the soundtrack, and really like this track too.

This is very atmospheric, would probably fit well in an in-game situation even. but as an OC Remix, I can't help but feel this arrangement seems to be like it'd be the start of something long and epic, I feel it sort of goes nowhere by being so short. Of course, a more atmospheric/OST-ish feel may have been what you were going for, but still... I sort of expected more of a direction with the arrangement.

don't let that discourage you from making more video game remix muzaks though :)

It's an alright arrangement. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I didn't find it as mind-blowing as the write-up made it seem.

I am curious, though, if the misspelled title was intentional. I think the title of a song says bound about what the song is supposed to mean; that little 'e' could mean a lot.

It's an alright arrangement. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I didn't find it as mind-blowing as the write-up made it seem.

I am curious, though, if the misspelled title was intentional. I think the title of a song says bound about what the song is supposed to mean; that little 'e' could mean a lot.

Actually this is the correct spelling of the word for all countries which do not use american english.

Interesting take. I think the percussion was the strong point, but overall it didn't really jump out at me as being super exciting. It's great for working to, however, it has an air of foreboding that really gets me moving on my deadlines! XD

I've been listening to it fort the past hour or so, and i've gotten a ton done. So active listening isn't really the track's strong point, but it definitely has it's strengths. :-D

I think this track does a great job of taking the source then enhancing it a little, throwing in a little hymm of the faith for fun, and some strong drums that sort of take the original track to a new level. I wouldn't say it's majorly creative, but it's very true to what the original was trying to do and that is rarely a bad thing.

I'm a pretty big fan of the FFX soundtrack, it's all about atmosphere and only rarely about melody, and I think this mix really nails that aspect of how the original was, while making it a little more interesting at the same time.

I can't help but feel this arrangement seems to be like it'd be the start of something long and epic, I feel it sort of goes nowhere by being so short.

Same here.

The choice of instruments is really good, though; especially the strings and the drumrolls hit the sweet spot.

I hope we'll hear more from MJ in the future.

• 2 months later...

This mix has a nice pace to it, it feels a lot different than a lot of orchestral remixes you hear normally. The snare rolls and the strings definitely aid with creating that effect.

Nice simple, short writing that's fun to listen to! I'm usually off-put by straight orchestral arrangements but I think this is one of those exceptions that's unique enough to stand on its own merit.

But... what happened with the ending? At the risk of sounding unnecessarily harsh, that was really one of the most anti-climactic endings I've heard in any remix on the site so far. The foundations for a good mix are here, but definitely pay attention to that aspect next time you make a mix :?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01903 - Final Fantasy X "Judgement"