*NO* Mega Man X 'Spark Castle Doom Mandrill'

djpretzel

sounds to me like you're using the original SNES sounds.

the strings are bad. there is nothing more bland than two note whole note string harmonies.

The bass and drums are groovin, but nothing else is. there is a cool flute solo, and there are lots of interesting ideas as far as rhythms, but most of this has nothing to do with the original.

elaborate more on the original and try to find some decent samples.

NO

Cool percussion. Sorta. Guitar and bass samples really do sound like their from the spc. Thats ok, I did that too :)

Big problem is this wishwash synth at 0:40. It clips, its too loud, out of place. Just wrong.

Strings sorta flood everything. They should use less reverb and release.

Interesting remix. Please fix the problems and resubmit.

NO

Some major/minor EQ issues here. That wah-wah that comes in the beginning and later in the piece is quite jarring. Perhaps you intended this as such, perhaps you did not. But considering it's used mainly as musical garnish, I think its volume should be adjusted accordingly. Also, that flute at the end is almost irresponsibly piercing. FIXPLSKTHX.

Nice solo work though. Reminds me thoroughly of some of the Y's III Redbook audio. Actually, once this thing picks up in the middle, it's a damn good rockin' tune. The samples only detract when you're expecting the million-dollar samples that's become the hallmark of OCR. Once you get into it... the synths have a very nice nostalgic feel, adding more to the piece than detracting, I believe... for the most part.

Hell. I like more of what I hear than hate. And Lord knows, Wingy loves him an underdog.

YES

Sounds kind of...BGMish. That bassline is reminding me of my .mid writing days, and not in that fuzzy, nostalgic way. Sounds almost WinGroovish. You might want to take a look at another sample or something. That wish-wash-wah-wah synth is annoying too. It does sound pretty out of place. It doesn't mesh well with the other sounds in the piece. Also, that flute around the end sounds really out of tune and harsh.

Nice arrangement though. Good development throughout the piece. Interesting ideas.

With some cleaning up, I think this could make it onto OCR. Not yet though.

NO

Oi, there are quality issues. Sometimes it sounds as though it's going for a nostalgia feel, then it goes into a hodgepodge of random synths. It's clear that an effort was made to use complex arpeggiating harmonies, but the muddiness of the instrumentation masks it as being simply messy. The wah-esque synth is pretty choppy, and doesn't do much to put the groove on.

The meshing of the two songs is a bit awkward; it doesn't seem as though much attention was paid to transition here. Work on sample quality, blending of instrumentation, and smooth transition between musical ideas. The flute parts are pretty dope though.

NO

-D