Sonic 2 (GG) - You Can Do What You Want :)

Constromlie

It's a remix of the Green Hill Theme from Sonic 2 on the game gear. I must say it sounds quite pleasant and yes it is the same as Toot Toot Sonic Warrior from the Japanese Sonic CD. I myself, as well as many of my friends, think this remix is really nice and enjoyable, but I alone feel as though it is...erm...missing something. Vocal clips? Record scratches? I really don't think this is complete enough for submission. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated!

The remix is HERE. and if the mp3 doesn't work at least you can hear the remix from this youtube video, which not surprisingly is my most popular.

Sorry, I use 4shared, unless there is a better free site where I can actually link directly to the mp3.

Not bad but yeah, it does kinda lack something. Imo it's too close to the source and doesn't have much original writing. You should think of some own stuff to mix it up a bit and make it varied. Intro maybe and stuff like that. Just suggestions of course. If you have ideas for vocals and lyrics, give it a try and see how it would sound. You may never know until you try it. :P

Perhaps you should listen to other remixes of this song to get inspiration. There's one that I find pretty neat: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/241717 (Not trying to promote anybody here, lol). Or just simply listen to other songs. :P

About posting the files, you could use http://www.tindeck.com/. Registration is not a problem and ppl can listen to the songs without the need to download them plus they have nice linking features. I use that place and I think it's cool.

Okay, that was just helpful! There's no doubt about it being close to the source, but I am kinda new to this myself. I do agree just listening to another remix of it does bring some ideas, but I think if I just listen to any music a brilliant idea can/may come randomly.

What I meant by vocal clips is just something kinda background-ish to by kind of a rhythmic repetitive thing more than a melody.

It already has a strong backbeat, but other than that I may entirely redo this closer to a hip-hop/dance style when I get some ideas of how that would even work. =P

Also thank you for the site for mp3 linking, I'll post my next mp3 up on there =D

Tarnish already gave you some pointers, but let me add some. I'm less familiar with the source, so I'll comment on the production instead.

If you listen to some of the recent works on the site, you'll hear they have a richer sound. Some of it is due to the samples and synths they use, some of it is in the effects they use. A little bit of reverb, some EQ, and the right volumes can go a long way in shaping the sound of of a track. Read up on mixing, google is your friend and there are some nice mixing guides on the site.

Also keep an eye out for free samples and synths. For example, KORE Player is a free version of Native Instruments' KORE, and comes with a nice set of free sounds (or the set is a separate but also a free download). Same goes for free effects, keep an eye out, there's lots of free stuff out there.

Okay, wasn't much of a comment on your track directly. Hope my suggestions help tho. Good luck remixing, it'll take time to become good enough to get on ocr, so come up with some shorter-term goals while still aiming higher than ocr. :D

Tarnish already gave you some pointers, but let me add some. I'm less familiar with the source, so I'll comment on the production instead.

If you listen to some of the recent works on the site, you'll hear they have a richer sound. Some of it is due to the samples and synths they use, some of it is in the effects they use. A little bit of reverb, some EQ, and the right volumes can go a long way in shaping the sound of of a track. Read up on mixing, google is your friend and there are some nice mixing guides on the site.

Also keep an eye out for free samples and synths. For example, KORE Player is a free version of Native Instruments' KORE, and comes with a nice set of free sounds (or the set is a separate but also a free download). Same goes for free effects, keep an eye out, there's lots of free stuff out there.

Okay, wasn't much of a comment on your track directly. Hope my suggestions help tho. Good luck remixing, it'll take time to become good enough to get on ocr, so come up with some shorter-term goals while still aiming higher than ocr. :D

Actually, that was more helpful than you may think it was.

I'll have to try experimenting more with those effects, as I have Mixcraft which has tons of instrument presets and effects. I use other programs as well, but I always base in Mixcraft. I'll have to look at those mixing guides, too, because I am really new to this, as I have stated before (I think). Gawd I just want to get at least ONE GOOD TRACK up here. =P

Anyway thanks much for your comment, and really I never thought of all the effects that go into these remixes!