Toontrack Electronic EZX

I am excited about this.

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=55

It may not have any more/better sounds than Battery, but it's sure to come with an onslaught of handy MIDI files that cover lots of electronic styles. Toontrack has always been a great company. Some people are a little anal about EZ Drummers simplicity/limitations compared to stuff like Addictive Drums, BFD, etc (all of which are also great products), but it's still undeniably a great value. Plus, you can load EZX sounds into Superior Drummer 2.0, so that solves that issue if you don't like EZD's interface :)

Set for release in November, I will most likely be picking this fella up as soon as it's out.

I can only imagine lazypoos getting this plugin. BGC, you're a lazypoo.

NOW you not only can get the top producers' signature sound design, no, here's their beats as well!! Everything you need to NOT be making music!

Ha, sorry ;) But my point is: I'm sure those are nice kits if you want some new inspirational sounds, but it's hard for me to build up enthusiasm over something like this when I could just take my one shots, warp the shit out of them and construct a kit then.

It'd be more work, it might not sound as good (prooobably), but it'll be something I did myself.

I don't mean to say that anyone SHOULD do that. thing is, I prefer getting excited about stuff that can definitely do stuff that my stuff can't. yeah.

I mean, staying in the practical realm of course. I COULD theoretically sample a piano myself i guess, but...I'd rather not.

Electronic drums though, they have DIY written all over them imo.

Which primarily makes me think 'waste of money'.

I first thought this looked cool, especially as I have S20, but after a quick google for free drum samples it just felt redundant. The midi stuff might be useful, but I'm having more trouble getting side chaining and overall mixing to sound powerful enough without sounding overcompressed than with finding good sounds or writing decent midi for them.

Geez people, it's merely a tool. Nothing wrong with that. So it's not for you, that's cool. But drawing assumptions like "This is everything you need to NOT be making music" is just retarded.

So you're telling me you've never sliced a loop ever? How about Stylus RMX? How about a preset on any synth? Have you used any of those? If so, then sorry, y'all have no right to be hating on something like this.

Besides, would you say the same thing about the regular EZD kit? Or any other Drumkit VST? They're the exact same thing - a collection of sounds arranged conveniently so you don't have to build an acoustic kit yourself from one hits, not to mention the fact that you get round robins. I also mentioned that EZX's are loadable in Superior Drummer 2.0 as individual hits, so yo don't even have to load/use the entire kit. As for the MIDI files, once again, they are merely tools. A person can still be creative even if using MIDI loops. Sure, there will be people who might use ONLY the loops, but who cares as long as what they do sounds good? Same thing goes for people who use garage-band loops. Hell, look at Logic Pro. Are you even aware that it comes with like 30+ GIGS of Audio and MIDI loops in all the jampacks? That's EXACTLY what jampacks are, but I don't hear y'all condemning it.

Y'all are entitled to your opinions, and if this particular piece of gear is not for you, that's totally cool. But (I don't mean this to be insulting, really) get off your horses and stop being so short-sighted. Like, take Roz's reaction for example. That's a cool assessment to make, but I don't hear him looking down on anyone who might think otherwise. Y'all need to be more like that.

Sometimes it's more practical to use a screwdriver. Othertimes a drill. Is it wrong to have both?

Geez people, it's merely a tool. Nothing wrong with that. So it's not for you, that's cool. But drawing assumptions like "This is everything you need to NOT be making music" is just retarded.

I was just having a stab at ya (or the plugin) incase you didn't notice, my real point was below that. and it's still just a personal view, man.

Ugh, no need for that old 'omg it's a tool' rant! I've read that stuff a thousand times on the net, written it myself, and needless to say agree with it.

I was really just talking about how, to me, making electronic drumkits isn't rocket science (compared to, say, sampling a complex instrument), which is why I'd rather invest a little time and make them myself. Lots of free samples on the net, lots of free vsts to shape them. Where did I imply that I look down on people who don't wanna do that?

Overdefensive much?

I've been using EZ Drummer for some time now. I love it for what it is. I don't really care that it doesn't have all the articulations I'd ever want. It just does its job so well, that I don't have to worry about my kit sounding good. The MIDI library is a bonus and a half. You can edit anything you want, so there's no real reason to cry about using preset anything. So yeah, I'm gonna have a look see at this new EZX once it arrives. For now, I remain hooked on the Nashville kit, my current rock kit of choice. Oooh, how I love it.

I was just having a stab at ya (or the plugin) incase you didn't notice, my real point was below that. and it's still just a personal view, man.

Ugh, no need for that old 'omg it's a tool' rant! I've read that stuff a thousand times on the net, written it myself, and needless to say agree with it.

I was really just talking about how, to me, making electronic drumkits isn't rocket science (compared to, say, sampling a complex instrument), which is why I'd rather invest a little time and make them myself. Lots of free samples on the net, lots of free vsts to shape them. Where did I imply that I look down on people who don't wanna do that?

Overdefensive much?

I'd say some of that rant was meant for Scott. Overdefensive, maybe. And I know that you were partially jesting. But you can't deny that you were asking for the "there's nothing wrong with using a tool" rant. :)

I'd say some of that rant was meant for Scott. Overdefensive, maybe. And I know that you were partially jesting. But you can't deny that you were asking for the "there's nothing wrong with using a tool" rant. :)

I feel like it's just a tool for the lazy. I have no problems crafting drum beats off of oneshots, especially since I have so many drum samples already, and I can track a good beat very efficiently without using VSTs. By all means, use EZDrummer, it's just not for me. I'm guilty of being quite lazy in the past though [hence analoq's "absynth presets and drumloops" description of my music in the past] but I have a lot more fun doing stuff from scratch now.

I just find the one line "midi files that cover lots of electronic styles" to be rather silly, because electronic drums are split evenly between spliced up sampled drumloops and really really simple trance/dance drum machine beats. The amount of processing needed for most spliced up breakbeats is something midi files usually can't contain, and the trance/dance beats are so simple in their construction that requiring a midi file for kick-hat-snare-hat is just silly.

I'm just being Andy Rooney though, you don't have to listen to me.

andyrooney.jpg