OCR01130 - Final Fantasy VI "Squaresoft Variation"

djpretzel

This is is a truly beautiful piece, great by all nature, hands down God's gift to man, but anyway Morrowind, KOTOR, and SoE (only games I've played by Mr. Soule ((I know I'm a slacker.)).) Hands down one of the best produced pieces on the site, if not the best. Not Necissarily the best feeling (that depends on the listener). Great Job, oh yeah sorry Square USA didnt work out... I really didnt like SoE all that much anyway the music was good though ^_^.

When I read that this mix was submitted by THE Jeremy Soule there was nothing stopping me from downloading it. I wasn't disappointed, either. I've really enjoyed all of his previous music, and this was no exceptions. Thank you Mr. Soule, for this delightful remix.

Heh, you can really tell he's a professional. I've still gotta go with "Terra In Black" for the best FF6 remix, but if I ever got this piece in a concert-band format, I might just change my mind.

I think we've found the opening song for the next Final Fantasy movie.....

It sounds good to me, but somehow it doesn't quite hit the spot... partly, I imagine, because I've not heard the original music (I've not played FF6! It's true!), but I also get the feeling it's because I'm listening to it on headphones, when it sounds like it needs some space to breathe.

I'll have some nice surround speakers turning up soon...

Oh my god! You have hads this song for over a year! I have had this song for months and it is one of the best Orchestral arangemnts I have ever listened to. It is just mind boggling you couldn't have posted it sooner. However as a fan I am greatful you found it. This song is so rich and deep and I look for a lot of music similar to this one. And i hope other listeners also feel the same. Sincerley ~ Aistrop

Yuo know where's teh unfunney part?? Even though worldwide Jeremy Soule is the most respected American gaem music composer, 99% of North American gamers never heard of him because PC games are not popular there adn he remixed the well known Terra's theme to gain popularity.

Adn yes, the remix is vary good.

What's also "unfunny" is that after reading your post, and despite your horrible grammar and spelling, your profile says that you are a professor. I'm guessing you teach Catcalls on the corner by the Truck Stop?

*Rim shot*

:lol: Take my wife, please.

*room is silent*

*crickets chirp*

Fine. Bite me.

OK... seriously now. That's the problem with game music. No matter how good (or bad) it is, it's only going to be listened to by a select few. People who want to listen to music go out and buy an audio CD (or rip it, or D/L it, etc). People don't buy games simply to listen to the music. Music is simply part of the game experience. If the game succeeds, then only rarely, is an official soundtrack released for it (domestically).

What makes things worse, is that some people who are fans of Game OST's are very elitist and exclusive about it. I understand why, I really do, especially since it's part of (our) their niche culture. Yet if they wanted to spread awareness about such wonderful music, they would not treat people outside "the know" as idiots.

I have heard people playing a track from an OST, and when someone asks what it is, their response usually is something akin to, "You would not understand. This is rare/underground stuff" which in itself is a laughable comment.

It's truly a shame.

We should nurture such interest, not only to bring more credibility to the Game Industry, but also to help expand the horizons of music, and bring well deserved recognition to the Composer/Sound Engineer.

I try to passively trap people into listening to it.

Example: While listening to a Game Music Mix CD I made a friend asks me what it is. Now, if I were to tell her that it was music from a video game, certain doors in her mind would almost instantly close. Not only would she associate video games with something only a child does, but then she would associate me with that as well. So instead I simply tell her that it's a mix, and/or I only tell her the name of the composer (not the game). I offer to make her a copy. She agrees. I go home and burn her tracks of what she mentioned she liked, and then throw in some I think she would, or tracks that I think are very ingenious.

Weeks later she tells me how much she likes it and how often she listens to it. This repeats a few times with different styles of music and different OST's. It's actually fun for me too, as I'm sharing aspects of myself with a friend of mine, while I'm learning more about her musical tastes.

Then I casually reveal the source of the music. By that time, she's so into it, that she does not care.

You know how cool it is to walk into a friend's apartment, and hear her not only playing some CD's you made her, but playing music from a game that you recognize?

It's very cool indeed.

OK... I'm shutting up now. 8)

andricon, I totally agree with you :) and your little anecdote is completely admirable. My mother was extremely dimissive of video games as well as its music, she never believed it was any good. It was not until one day, when I was putting "Small Two of Pieces" from Xenogears on loud that she asked, "what's that?".. Maybe she learnt a little then.. but she still has no respect for video games.

Regardless, this remix is very good indeed. The overall sound is very real and wholesome, and although a real orchestra could have done better, that is an unfair consideration. It's a great piece of music, and I'd have to say the variations in the theme are interesting enough.

The only problem could be it's lack in length, a song of this epic proportion needs more exploration in the middle to expand its musical themes and fully reach its potential. But I guess Jeremy would be a little too busy for that.. other than that, I applaud this remix for its greatness as a whole.

I listened to it a 2nd time, and I actually have to say that it isn't all that breathtaking. I can't stand the sound of some of the string sounds (although, I'm picky about strings), and it sounds a little sloppy in places. I love Jeremy's work, but it just isn't what everyone's making it out to be. I've heard remixes that are about as good as this one.

I will say that this is a very good ReMix. It sounds extraordinary, the samples, everything...but I will say that I don't think this is the greatest ReMix on this site. Simply because...while it was a very good piece, for me, it held no emotion, none of that quality that sucks you into the music. Technically, it's superb, as well it should be. But it isn't the best this place has ever heard.

Mmm very nice sounding arrangement.

Vigilante mentioned something about Jeremy Soule just putting the melody from Terra over original chords that dont work. I think that might be just opinion that they dont sound good, because I think they work quite well. There is a lot of original stuff, but the Terra theme is still present enough to call it a mix. One thing that I dont like about this piece is the "piano." That sound confused me at first because it doesnt sound like a piano, more like some sort of chimes. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that way? Anyway, nice job Jeremy, I hope you submit future pieces to OCR...

~Blue

I wasn't too impressed. The song never seems to reach a decent climax, but rather dilly-dallys along hoping to stay afloat on the weight of excellent sampling and composition. And I will give the song that much; it sounds incredibly professional and well-thought-out. I must, however, state that it does not leave me as impressed as other Terra themes on the site and less than impressed overall. I appear to be about the only dissenting opinion from the majority, but that's alright. I hold true to my opinion.

The first thing I though when I heard this Remix is, "Wow, it's FFVI meets Morrowind." This was before I skipped on over to Soule's website and found out he wrote music for Morrowind. So I am assuming Soule uses some sampling or at least some inspiration from Morrowind in this remix.

Sifting through his other credits, I found he's written music for a number of other games which I realy enjoyed the score of.

I wasn't all suprised, a lot of his work has the same tone and feel to it. I am not sure if that is because he simply prefers a particular style, or if thats what he's hired for. You know something like, "Hey Jeremy, we are looking for a sounds similar to what you did in xxxxx..."

I'd be interested to her the artist's input on this.

I specifically saw notable similarities between his works in:

Secret of Evermore

Dungeon Seige

Neverwinter Nights

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Marletto

I would love to /play/ this, and that's one of the biggest compliments I can think to give.

This thing has such the climax at 3:something that I could practically hear it squirting all over the floor. Don't know where people are getting off (heh) with saying that...

Stylistically? In being similar to his other works? My girlfriend and I are both avid classical music fans (and performers). When we're listening to the radio, we can instantly pick out a Bach, a Beethoven, a Debussy, a Mozart, even if neither of us has heard that particular piece before. Certain composers do have certain styles, but that doesn't mean that they're any less great.

The first thing I though when I heard this Remix is, "Wow, it's FFVI meets Morrowind."

My thoughts exactly. This remix is very much in the vein of Mr. Soule's NWN/Morrowind/KotOR work, densely epic and thematic.

I too did a double-take after seeing the name "Jeremy Soule" in the credits for this mix. Seeing djp's "Oh. My. God." just split my face into a huge grin and I knew it was true - one of my favorite game composers remixed one of my other favorite game composer's best-known and most stirring tracks. This is just heaven. I've been replaying Morrowind lately, whistling that damn theme song constantly, and dropped by OCR on a lark during a break from playing. Lo and behold, what a gift was waiting. Thank you so much, Mr. Soule - not only for this beautiful piece of music, but as others mentioned, for actually taking time out of your busy life to rearrange a song many here hold dear and submit it to OCR. I'm just...wow. Wow. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

wow this remix blew me away, that fact that it is done by a professional really shows as it contains so many elements that sound great and if they should ever make a FF6 movie, this would have to be the theme without question.

melody= 10/10

sound fx= 10/10

context= 10/10

originality 10/10 He has managed to made the song sound completely different yet the same.

Overall= 10/10

And beleive me it's rare for my to give anything a 10/10

Mmm very nice sounding arrangement.

Vigilante mentioned something about Jeremy Soule just putting the melody from Terra over original chords that dont work. I think that might be just opinion that they dont sound good, because I think they work quite well. There is a lot of original stuff, but the Terra theme is still present enough to call it a mix. One thing that I dont like about this piece is the "piano." That sound confused me at first because it doesnt sound like a piano, more like some sort of chimes. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that way? Anyway, nice job Jeremy, I hope you submit future pieces to OCR...

~Blue

I actually like that piano a lot. THe way it sounds positioned in respect to the orchestra, and its tone gives it a mysterious feel. I don't know how to describe it, but it reminds me of something like Harry Potter.

A lot of wonderful words have been used to describe this submission from Jeremy Soule, and all of them fall short of the beauty of this piece.

No offense to Nobuo Uematsu, but Jeremy Soule is the new star of video game soundtracks, absolutely without question. If you haven't heard his work before, you should be ashamed of yourself -- look for Morrowind (Title theme), Neverwinter Nights (Forest and Rural themes), Dungeon Siege (Lava Caverns II), or the Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter music. Nobuo Uematsu may have been Jeremy's mentor at Squaresoft -- but the pupil has definitely surpassed the master.

I'm fascinated to see that there are some who feel that "there are other remixes here that are better than this" -- I'm not disputing the fact (I haven't heard very many, truthfully), but I find it very hard to imagine. Please, I beg you, post the names of the remixes you feel are better -- or even in the same league -- as this piece, because I for one would love to hear them. (And I don't mean just Terra's theme.)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01130 - Final Fantasy VI "Squaresoft Variation"