OCR01130 - Final Fantasy VI "Squaresoft Variation"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

Well, excellent remix, truly what you can call a professional work.

But I'm rather unimpressed, perhaps I didn't listen it long enough to really enjoy, it's really great and all, but it's overly repetitive, somewhat unoriginal, short and more importantly: it lacked feeling.

I know the original song is repetitive, and this is rather more like a tribute than a remix with original stuff, but still his original works are much better, I simply don't have enough praise words to describe Total Annihilation.

I have many songs from djpretzel, Protricity, CoMM, Star Salzman, Kong in Concert and Relics of Chozo albuns, and some songs from CT and Xenogears in OCR, specially the Live/Piano songs that I'd put in higher regard than this one.

It's excellent, much above than the average, but even Soule needs more remixing/game music rearrangement time to touch my heart like many of the songs here in OCR did.

Good thing his original songs already do that job.

Sorry for the whole song comparison thing, but this one is special enough to deserve it.

• 1 month later...

ehh...well it wasn't bad, and i couldn't make something like that...i dunno, it just didn't impress me all that much...maybe because i like the song the way it was originally and i don't think this makes it any better...it definitely didn't live up to djp's review of it...in my opinion, i mean it made it sound like it was going to dazzle me, and it didn't, not that it was bad...

(sorry)

• 9 months later...

JEREMY SOULE!?!? (I didn't know about this until now!)

Well, all I can say is, if there were to be an FFVI film, this ought to make it in the soundtrack somewhere, simply because it's already got that niche of what cinematic music is known for. (One of the starting or credit segments?)

It's an epic arrangement, although yes it is a bit archetypal to the sense it's almost generically arranged, however given this being done by a pioneer of composing music of that sort in video games, that would be expected. Mr. Soule accomplished that.

Production is, commercial quality. Instrumentation is highly convincing to being realistic, the usual. What can I say? This HAD to make it somewhere there.

As a tribute piece, this works extremely well, and should not be left overlooked, because this is true quality despite the generic take of 'cinematic' arrangement.

This song actually makes me want an FFVI film for the 'soule' purpose of hearing this song in the credits, just like you said, Malice.

Ever since I first played FFVI this song has been stuck in my head, and there are no shortage of remixes of it, many of them fantastic. While some may be more "fun" to listen to, this is no doubt a very beautiful arrangement of it.

• 1 month later...

When I read the writeup, I said that this was going on my mp3 without listening to it. After listening to it, I discovered that it wasn't the best out there. The song is good. I will give it that. But it doesn't capture much intensity that say, Philharmonic suite would do. It is a very high quality piece and interesting all the way through, but the song itself really isn't worth all the hype that people are making it out to be. Jeremy Soule did a great job, that much is certain. But the mix just doesn't seem very active(only word I can think of.)

• 6 months later...

I disagree here. Yeah, I mean it's Jeremy Soule, but after listening to this a few times lately, I think there's just a lot of depth to this song that you find (in most of his song really) and can come to appreciate.

Anyway, maybe this isn't the most heartfelt song he's ever done, but I find that a lot of his songs concentrate on atmosphere more than what I'd call musical grandeur, and the atmosphere is really really awesome.

I love the soundscape created. It puts a lot of despair and urgency into the theme of Terra that I didn't know existed, but can now appreciate.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I could have sworn I'd written a review for this piece before.

It's not terrible, but it's bad. Horribly bland - which is a disappointment because I think Jeremy Soule is a fine composer. His work on Morrowind was exceptional, and Oblivion takes a close third (Secret of Evermore being his best).

But here it's just so uninspired! We have Terra's theme placed over generic filmy sounding crap. The piece never goes anywhere interesting or new. Heck, some of the chord choices just seem to clash, and that's sad.

And it seriously makes me sick to see the hero worship that goes on in this thread. Some of these posts in praise of the work are decent and well thought out, but good lord, some people are just trying to get in Jeremy's lap if you know what I mean.

Edit: I don't think I can offer sufficient enough an apology for my hateful words here, but for what it's worth, I'm really sorry. I've listened again, and I can't even figure out why I didn't like it in the first place. It's good, full stop.

Edited by oakthielbar
I was an asshole

This piece has a very subtle beauty that's common in most of Soule's work. It doesn't go out of its way to grab your attention, but there's plenty of quality to find if you look closely. While it may not stray far from the source, Soule did a really great job of reinforcing the strengths of the original melody.

All in all, this sort of mix is a real honor for our community; both as a contribution from the professional side of the fence and as a great piece of music. I'd love to hear more from Soule around here if he finds the time someday.

• 1 month later...

This is incredible, Wow. I've flicked through the last 16 pages, and I have to say, there some real jealous people here. Bad EQ and reverb? Hardly. Relying on Gigasamples? hardly. This is orchestrated incredibly well, and rendered equally as well.

Congratulations to Mr Soule for this.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Wow wow wow. How the hell did I miss this? I love Terra's Theme, I'm not sure how I never spotted the JEREMY SOULE before though. I have a way of liking soundtracks and only later discovering he did them (such as Guild Wars titles). I adore the Oblivion soundtrack.

It really is cool that someone like that submitted a remix here, rather incredible, really. And this is even pretty old, before ocremix started to get more recognition.

It's a great piece, it's actually not my favorite Terra remix (that might still have to go to Ailsean's) but it is cool how noticeably his style it is. This mix would fit in Oblivion and no one but FF fans would even take notice.

Very cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Made an account to comment on this remix right here.

When I first heard it, I shared the sentiments of the Jeremy Soule haters, which was unusual because I loved Secret of Evermore and Morrowind. The remix certainly has the flow, and the instruments were treated with the respect they sometimes don't get on this website. Elsewhere, I understood the arrangement and it's complexity, and combined with the instruments, I had no doubt Mr. Soule was the author of this remix. Unfortunately, I guess I can't hear the brilliance that some of the fanboys are gushing, or maybe I've held his standards too high. Some remixes on this site have shown the potential to be great, and others use that same potential to it's fullest extent. This falls in the grey area. It's really good, but the fact that it's not perfect makes it disappointing. It would be unfair of me to leave out examples of what I thought were "perfect" songs by Mr. Soule. These include the title theme of Morrowind and "The Secret of Evermore" from the game of the same name, which is also a remix of the song "Dog Maze". To my discredit, I seem to favor certain styles over others, and orchestral mixes have not done very well. No doubt, this is an orchestral paradise.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like this mix despite my preference for heavy-metal-type mixes. It's one of those ones that's really great when you're working on something and it shows up in a shuffled playlist.

It's also great to drop into Morrowind's or Obilivion's soundtrack. Just browse to the location you've installed the game, then copy this into "Data[ Files]\Music\Explore\" and it'll randomly get played alongside the official music for the game.

OC Remix music is great for this kind of thing in general, actually, but this song easily fits the musical style of those games.

• 4 weeks later...

Really nice handling of the melody here, I love when it is given to the horns.

A super lush sounding rendition for 2004, and it stands up pretty strongly today as well. Strings were good, and while it doesn't have the bombast and excitement some people are seemingly expecting, it has a lot of subtle energy that makes it work equally well. Awesome stuff.

• 1 year later...

I was so angry at myself when I found this mix. I had been lurking the site for years. I knew who Jeremy Soule was; Guild Wars happens to be one of my favorite soundtracks. So the fact that I had completely missed this was extremely upsetting. I got over it quickly. A fantastic orchestral arrangement that sounds like I could easily slap it into Skyrim's music folder and listen to it on my adventures. So atmospheric.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01130 - Final Fantasy VI "Squaresoft Variation"