OCR01130 - Final Fantasy VI "Squaresoft Variation"

djpretzel

Wonderful. Jeremy's music has been an inspiration to me ever since I first heard the haunting melodies of Secret of Evermore's "Gothica" as a pre-teen, and this is no exception. (Though I adored even the SNES' MIDI version :wink: ) This is surely the greatest gift that OCR could ever recieve.

• 2 months later...

Wow....Just wow

This piece is truly amazing

Definetly a favourite in my books (I have a soft spot for orchestreals ;)

I respect other peoples opinions but even looking at it from other peoples views I can't see how people don't like it lol

Great piece truly amazing

+ thanks for the tip on the library

Dang, Jeremy Soule is the poster boy for the "do one thing, do it well" crowd. He's obviously mastered his chosen style of classical music: Epic, slightly mysterious, somewhat ambient. In other words, great. :D And there's nothing wrong with doing one thing well. Everybody's got their niche.

Now, it may not be the best, the latest or the greatest (is any song?) but it IS good., and well worth a download if you're a fan of Mr. Soule.

By the way, I saw someone mention that he composed the Icewind Dale soundtrack. I was under the impression that Inon Zur did IWD's music. I could be wrong, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I just discovered this remix today... holy hell!

And I found it by accident, too. I was browsing the forums and in some topic someone listed the good orchestral remixers on this site, and Jeremy Soule's name was one of them.

Jeremy Soule? 8O The dude who did the excellent epic soundtracks to Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic? And apparently Icewind Dale, too, though I didn't know that until today. But now, come to think of it, the Icewind Dale soundtrack is totally Jeremy Soule's style. Guess I didn't connect the dots.

It really says something when a bigshot pro like Soule takes the time to do a remix for a site like OCR. Professionals (in any field) are often are quite condescending towards hobbyists in the same field, yet this is clearly not the case with Mr. Soule.

Still, I had to listen to the song to see whether or not it was some kind of joke. Man, this is no joke. From the very start, it obvious this came from Soule. It has the pristine, epic sound of his NwN and KotOr soundtracks. The arrangement is deft, fluid, subtle, and belies Soule's status as a professional composer. Absolutely brilliant piece of epic orchestral music. The samples are exremely realistic, but then again, it's Jeremy Soule... he can get any orchestral library he wants. :D

My only complaint is that it's too short. But man, that's a pretty nitpicky complaint for such a magnificent piece.

I'd like to salute Mr. Soule for his interest in the video game remixing community. Not to mention this fantastic tune. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was just a lurker when this first came out on the site, but trust me, I was just as thrilled as nearly everyone else in these reviews. Jeremy Soule... wow. Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, Dungeon Siege, even Unreal II I think... his original work is great. It's really awesome that he'd submit a remix to this site.

Very, very nice. I give it a 12/10, two and a half thumbs up, 6 out of 5 stars. If you haven't already, you MUST download this now.

• 1 month later...

OH.....MY......GODDDDDDDDD

Here I was scanning the community for something interesting and came uppon the name of Jeremy Soule....

I, like some of you, read the name....blinked....read it again.....downloaded and played and had to search for my jaw when hearing that it WAS Soule's work I heard....

I can recall about 5 times when I have played a game that he made the music for and in the midst of the action have stopped playing to experiance the music and after a while realising that my entire party has been killed due to my innaction.....lol.....talk about music that grips you and paralyzes you....wow

This track is no exception and Soule remixes the womderfull original and adds his style of orchestration and the result.....well nothing short of Soule magic

If he decides to remix more tracks and add them to OCR's database I might have to stop working and just stay infront of my screen with a goofy grin of pleasure as I listen away to oblivion....

GIMME MOOOOOOOOORE.......

I saw this thread on the front page and decided to add in my two cents. It probably doesnt need to be said that this is just amazing. I think it says a lot about this site, UnMod notwithstanding, when a professional whose own music has been Remixed makes a contribution. My skin crawls everytime I hear this. It was easily my favorite song from the FF6 sountrack. I have heard some impressive Remixes of Terra theme, but this one just blows them away.

I cannot express the beauty of this piece. It is the work of a master... Jeremy Soule paying tribute to another titan of game music composition Nobuo Uematsu.

Final Fantasy VI when released to America moved me so deeply that I cried when I heard the final endgame theme. I am glad and very happy to know that it has solicited such a beautiful song from Mr. Soule.

DjPretzel said and the same thing I did when I saw the name of JS. Oh. My. God. Grats Ocremix. This IS your finest hour.

• 4 weeks later...

No offense to the people criticizing here, I'm sure some of you are legitimately complaining, but I should tell you that criticizing a professional's work does not immediately make you look like a good composer :wink:

Anyways this is a great listen, and It's nice to know the upper guys haven't forget about the ones down here.

Hello, I'm a first time poster, long time visiter.

Looking at the previous posts and the main page of this Remix, I was thinking it would be exceptionally good. Reading that Mr. Soule honored Nobuo, I was estatic. However, I was a little disappointed.

The actual song was orchestrated excellentaly. Sounding so real, epic and dramatic. But as a personal liking, It's not really one of my favourites. I enjoy the tunes like Terra in Black and Ascencion into Cosmo Canyon and the like.

Still, excellent work John Soule.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thia song just kicks ass. The best remixes take an already awesome song and turn it into something even better, which is exactly what this does. The sound quality is just excellent, but we're talking about a professional composer here, so I guess it's no surprise.

Anyway, the song progresses very nicely. It takes its time to build up, and the progression from :25-40 was exceptionally well done; the dynamics in this section were perfect. The next section that really struck me was 1:06-1:45, as it builds up with a lot of intensity and power.

The only thing I'm not fond of with this song is when the piano plays the lead. Thankfully, it's a pretty short section, but the piano just doesn't sound right carrying the lead.

Besides that, there's nothing else to criticize. The song could have been longer (you always want good songs to last longer), but it's no problem since the conclusion is definitely climactic and satisfying enough. So yeah, this song rocks. It's good to see someone who composes game music give the fan community such a great song.

• 2 months later...

Never thought I'd see Jeremy Soule on OC Remix. I t would be really tough to review this remix without overwhelming bias. Being on OC Remix automatically makes a person awesome, if you ask me, though.

Hmm... very nice remix. Perfectly epic, Good stuff!

• 1 month later...

This is unbelievable, a composer, at ocr, with a terraremix, in orchestral, now, for real, yep. First I thought that this was a joke, why would a composer come here and do a remix while he can go away somewhere and do a magnificent soundtrack? Meh, this can´t be true. If it is, I´ll eat my hat.

Then I start listening, WHOA, this is some real good strings, perfect to be exact. Soothing, calm, almost full of sorrow, flowing through my ears, and...what...is it?...FLUTES!!!! IT IS FLUTES!!! And you hear it´s Terra theme, OH MAN it´s beautiful, majestic really, gives me some sort of respectful feeling listening to this.

What now? Is that piano? Nah, can´t be. But it sounds like it, hey very beautiful, and now some trombones, what does this masterpiece not have? Got some more power to it now, the strings and violins are getting more tempo and force, nice. Hey, what the...MORE FLUTES, now with a more sad mood to it, significant. Some more beautiful piano, now you can hear Terra´s theme, it´s astounding, faboulus, now a short break, begins with strings and...hey, have I heard this before? Aww nuts, it´s on repeat, why did it have to be so short?

As for a quick summary, this is a truly majestic piece with the essential orchestral and philharmonic instruments. It is calm and beautiful but yet powerful when the strings picks up a faster pace. It´s sounds like it´s directly taken out from a masterpiece from an opera hall, but it´s not. Instead it´s taken directly out of the mind of a great composer, Jeremy Soule. Maybe this wasn´t a short summary?

I will probably get my email full of angry posts about what I´m gonna call you now sir, but you did a great and fantastic work Soule-dude. Excellent.

Now if you excuse me, I must be off to eat my hat.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow. I must say, this is very professional-sounding (as I would expect from a master of, er, tracking? such as Jeremy Soule). I guess this is what a "remix" truly is. :) However somehow I don't think Jeremy Soule's classic method of using non-root transitional bass lines really fits the highly progressional nature of the original song (it's a march with constant rhythmic root bass, lol). Still it's really nice to see this master of composition submit to ocremix. I've lurked around here a while but this submission spurred me to actually register for the forums :) Very well done.

-fs

So, I've gotta' be the skeptic here: are we totally sure this is actually Jeremy Soule's work? Isn't it possible that it was someone posing as him?

I mean, Jeremy Soule is one of my favorite VG composers and it just seems kinda' crazy that he would even bother submitting a song to this site. It's not improbable or anything... I just think it's, I dunno, odd.

Either way, this tune is great. Though it is beyond me why he'd choose an Uematsu track over one of his own. I believe a Fire Eyes mix is in order! Hey, I can dream, can't I?

So' date=' I've gotta' be the skeptic here: are we totally sure this is [i']actually Jeremy Soule's work? Isn't it possible that it was someone posing as him?

I mean, Jeremy Soule is one of my favorite VG composers and it just seems kinda' crazy that he would even bother submitting a song to this site. It's not improbable or anything... I just think it's, I dunno, odd.

I'm glad you've bothered to actually check Soule's own homepage. :lol:

I know' date=' I know. I can [i']tell just by listening that it truly is his work. It's just one of those things that's almost too awesome to be true. You guys must've been stoked when you got that one.

I wasn't on staff at the time, but no doubt. Protricity in particular felt his own material just didn't compare. LOL

I know' date=' I know. I can [i']tell just by listening that it truly is his work. It's just one of those things that's almost too awesome to be true. You guys must've been stoked when you got that one.

I wasn't on staff at the time, but no doubt. Protricity in particular felt his own material just didn't compare. LOL

indeed. you could say he was "souled" on the whole package from the start.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01130 - Final Fantasy VI "Squaresoft Variation"