Final Fantasy VIII - Shine Tonight (Fragments of Memories)

Josh Whelchel

Not familiar with the source, but it's a sweet track. Sounds mixed really loud tho, you could probably bring down the compression a little, especially on the vocals and the bells/vibes/thingies.

Nice voice processing, sweet lyrics, overall good. Can't comment on source use, but if you think it's arranged enough for ocr you should definitely sub it when it's done.

You're btw missing an S at the end tho. :P

• 2 weeks later...

New version uploaded with extended lyrics:

http://blog.jwmusic.org/post/207180068/poolside-shine-tonight-v3-more-poolside-vs

you know what i need,

some time away to get some air

i just can’t stay

you know what i think,

i oughta be chasing my dreams and you’re bringin’ me down

i’ve lost my way

she’s like the stars above

you know she’ll burn in your heart forever

she sings her song and she will

shine tonight

she’ll light up the whole sky like fire

when her heart sings out she’ll know

you know what i miss

those days they were just you and me

they’ve got me holdin’ on to those fragments of my memory

and girl, you know what i wish

that you were missin’ me and longin’ for my kiss

and then she’ll see, she’s never been so sure

she wipes away the tears that set her free

and i can see, you’ll never be that sure of me

so wipe away your tears and we can be

like the stars above,

you know you’ll burn in my heart forever

so hear my song and we will

shine tonight,

we’ll light up the whole sky just like fire you and me

so sing your heart baby please

(you say your lost your way but i’ll never leave your side

you got me tangled and i know i want you mine

you say you lost your way girl, you say you lost way

just look to the sky and you’ll see me shine

we’ll light the sky ablaze and sing our song they’ll hear

our voices carry on our passion it knows no fear

and when you say you just don’t know

you’ll look and you’ll see me)

• 1 month later...

Love it. The source is one of my favorites, and this is a wonderful take on it. Nice lyrics, nice production. The instrumental melodies stick pretty close to the original, but I have a hard time faulting that since it still comes together beautifully, and -- as pointed out -- the vocal melody on top is just great.

Great stuff. I think you're pretty much done with this mix. Just your little touch ups and fx if you want and hopefully it'll be submitting time! =]

Edit:

This is pretty catchy! :)

My main critique would be the synthetic effects added to the male vocals (or vocaloid, if you used it, idk) didn't mesh with the raw ones of Melinda. I just thought it was kindof distracting. Maybe have them both sound a bit robotic or both natural.

Good luck with your submission!

I think that its fine to have one robotic and one natural, but if you do, I think the male vocals should be more electronic/robiticized than it is right now. Like techno or trance male vocals. For Melinda, personally I would like to hear some sustain/reverb on her vocals, but other than that I think her voice is great.

This is pretty catchy! :)

My main critique would be the synthetic effects added to the male vocals (or vocaloid, if you used it, idk) didn't mesh with the raw ones of Melinda. I just thought it was kindof distracting. Maybe have them both sound a bit robotic or both natural.

Good luck with your submission!

• 2 weeks later...

Last version probably. I'm thinking that before I submit it to OCRemix I'll make a version more heavy on the glitchiness of the original, but I cannot decide this yet. Thoughts?

Specifically this brings up the male vocal more and has some mixing changes.

Here it is:

http://blog.jwmusic.org/post/267247679/like-it-like-it-a-thousand-times-like-it-i-play

After "You'll never be that sure of me / So wipe away your tears and we can be", you build up a crapload of (great) energy then it sorta... wanes a bit... as you glitch the vocals instead of completing the line. It rebuilds soon though, and I will admit I really enjoy the following natural "like the stars above" with all the harmonies/counter melodies.

And what's with that clashing note/chord in the beginning? It just seems so out of place, lol.

I guess mine is just a small structural quibble but yeah. This stuff is catchy. Lyrics are really good quality - simple, with a nice charm.

It's already pretty glitchy, I think.

First time posting here, but I've been lurking around the forums for years...

And... Wow, I REALLY enjoyed this. I'm wondering--I'm not sure if you plan on having this submitted soon, but is it possible to get an MP3 of this? I'd really love to play it on my radio show--we air Saturday afternoons.

If you want more info, let me know!