RPG Music Project from McVaffe

MkVaff

I just posted this on my page and figured that I'd post it here as well because the project would likely be enjoyed by fans of the classic RPG music which actually brought me to this site in the first place about 10 years ago. The Three Realms was a concept soundtrack / album I started a few years ago and never completed. It was originally supposed to be accompanied by a bunch of artwork as well as a detailed story and presented on a website, but the amount of time required to complete both the artwork and the site ended up being too demanding for the schedules of myself and the others involved.

I completed about 22 song drafts for the project to get a proper direction and to illustrate the emotion of the scenes / areas to the artists as we were working. These are what I’m posting here. They’re at different levels of completion, and unfortunately, having sold some equipment and having changed workstations in the middle of the project will prevent me from finishing most of these songs unless I start them from scratch again (which currently I don’t have the time to do with 22 songs).

So I figured either these songs sit on the hard drive and collect digital dust for the next few months/years, or I put them out there for others to hear and (hopefully) enjoy, despite some songs being rather rough and obviously unfinished and unpolished.

Regardless, here are 20 original tracks from what I was planning to be a sort of musical and artistic love letter project to the composers and soundtracks who have to in no small way shaped a lot of my style. There’s a ton of Final Fantasy and Zelda influences here, since that was the game music I loved to listen to growing up as a gamer, as well as largely the music which got me interested in game music and in remixing on OCR in the first place. I wanted the project to have a synthy orchestra feeling to it, to mimic some of the SNES / early PS1 games of the time.

I learned a lot from these works (especially about how much I still have yet to learn about arranging and orchestration), but I can definitely say I’m proud of a few tracks in the batch. Hopefully at some point I’ll revisit this unfinished world with more time, better instruments, and more people to help. In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys what's here so far. Please don't hesitate to comment - I'm interested for future projects to hear which particular tracks people liked and what I could do differently.

Thanks for reading, and Enjoy!

This is the link to my page, in which you can preview all of the tracks and download.

http://mcvaffe.com/?page_id=532

This is the direct link to download the ZIP file of all of the songs

http://mcvaffe.com/originals/McVaffe%20-%20The%20Three%20Realms.zip

As a fan of the ps1 era of music, especially the rpg types, I have to say you definitely captured that ps1 feel of music. They don't make music like they use to, I'm not sure whether I'm basing this off nostalgia or whatever, but just listening to this whole album, i definitely got the sense that it felt like it came from the mid 90's. Great work, wish i could comment on each song individually, unfortunetly i'm booked the whole day.

Thanks for sharing, always enjoyed your work.

I really want to learn to play "Pandora's Theme" on the piano, is there any chance I could get a MIDI file or sheet music or some other resource to help me? :-) I was so captivated by the song, I would greatly appreciate any help if you could offer it.

Thanks for sharing these, the songs I've listened to so far were fantastic arrangements, especially for completely original material! I can't wait to hear more from you!

Awesome work, the influence shines through and forms a nice coherent sound. I think my two favourites have got to be "The Lonely Farmer", something about that I think is just spot on, and "On the Battlefield", really cool progression for a battle song which is proud without drums, I like that. You can imagine the characters saying something just before it starts like "Bring it on!" or like my favourite battle quote like ever from Star Ocean 2 "10 seconds". "Village in the Clouds" is also a very plesant piece, very somber, you know a song is just right for a game if you can listen to it over and over.

When it comes to soundtracks, I generally enjoy just a few songs out of most because they were just ambiguously cool or did something so right, but the rest fit well with the game and they worked. I reckon what you have so far would be enjoyed by alot of people as a whole.

Show me how you got Roland EM25 stuff to sound this good sometime. You tell me you don't master your tracks, but I know you're up to something. :P

Haha I'm serious I don't know how to master dude, TRUST me I wish I did... I hear some of the stuff on this site and I just drool at how polished and perfect it sounds. The only thing I added was an effect in Sonar called Boost 11 because some of the tracks were ridiculously low, but that was it.

BTW the sounds are from two old JV-2080s. Some of the oldest stuff in my studio, but nearly every song I've ever worked on has them.

I really want to learn to play "Pandora's Theme" on the piano, is there any chance I could get a MIDI file or sheet music or some other resource to help me? :-) I was so captivated by the song, I would greatly appreciate any help if you could offer it.

Thanks for sharing these, the songs I've listened to so far were fantastic arrangements, especially for completely original material! I can't wait to hear more from you!

I don't really work much with sheet music but I will see if I can dig up the piano part of the wrk file and turn it into a midi.

And to everyone else thanks for the comments and kind words. It definitely means a lot to hear that people are enjoying it. Thanks guys!!! =)

I've been hard bent on learning a song well above my skill level lately. The last few days have frustrated me immensely because I felt as though I've stopped making progress. But today I found this thread... and listened to the first half of the project. Everything fits so well, and it all sounds so good. You've reminded me of the joy in creating and playing music, and I feel a lot of weight lifted. I'll listen to the rest of the project later, but for now I'm feeling inclined to play. Thanks once again for the inspiration Mike. I'm glad you're in the front lines of the music scene once more. :smile: I look forward to hearing future works!

I don't really work much with sheet music but I will see if I can dig up the piano part of the wrk file and turn it into a midi.

And to everyone else thanks for the comments and kind words. It definitely means a lot to hear that people are enjoying it. Thanks guys!!! =)

Haha, that's probably better since I don't know jack about sheet music :< I just didn't want to be picky since I was the one making the request.

I really appreciate it :-)

Thanks, the older Roland stuff I still love because it has that old quasi-realistic sound they had before the multi-gigabyte sound libraries came out and it definitely has a classic gamey feel to it.

YES, I really like a lot of how late 90s/early2000s this sounds, I've always thought that things limited by technology as such had a special charm and were not necessarily inferior to higher fidelity successors(for instance the current generation of gaming is probably my least favorite in a long time if not ever, only a few games really impressed me lately, some of which have been games like cave story or MM9...)

this is all really good stuff, a lot of good melodies in these songs. some interesting stuff that is less typical of your style that I liked a lot too(under the surface is unusual and great, and I love the filtering on the drums in the queen attacks).

ooooh sounds awesome can't wait to hear it... Any vague idea when it'll be done? (I say vague because I know how these things go... trust me)

actually i did it for a game pitch in japan. this guy i know has been developing an rpg for 10 years, trying to get a huge contract, 5 discs worth of music though so i have no idea when it will be done, but i have been working on it for 3 years...I was doing this when I wasn't around OCR or making Vega Projekt. I almost never listened to dance music in 2 of those years, its really crazy for me actually....

So I guess this is an unofficial announcement that yes, I have compositional/orchestration skills with a demo in the hands of capcom/sony/sega/square/konami/tri-ace/level-5 :x

we shall see.....