"Lone Valkyrie" - Remix from Sega's GunValkyrie

TreeFrogTrav

Hey everyone!

This is my first remix attempt (at least that I'm posting for others to hear.) It's a remix of "Valkyrie's Launch" from Sega's underplayed, borderline unheard of Xbox game GunValkyrie. The games biggest accomplishment was its ridiculous learning-curve.

Haven't played it? No problem, neither have I!

The original song (by Teruhiko Nakagawa and Tatsuyuki Maeda) is a stomping, angry, warpath tune with just a hint of optimism. My remix, on the other hand, is eerie in an lonely outer-space pop song kinda way and if I had to describe it game-aphorically I'd say it was a mix between something from Super Metroid and Cid's Theme from FF7.

The OST is here:

http://vgmdb.net/album/2677

And here is the original song on Youtube:

Lone Valkyrie (my mix):

http://www.mediafire.com/?wlwfudjljty

:tomatoface:I do like criticism (makes the world better, ya know), so please give me some feedback! :tomatoface:

Drums sound clunky, especially kick and snare. Snare rolls are terrible. :D Considering the tempo of the track (as implied by the snare) a more rnb/hiphop style drum writing might work better, tho just make sure to keep it interesting and not put the drums on loop for the entire track. ;) You can do a lot by taking cues from rnb and hiphop's often simple rhythms but then making them so much more advanced and interesting.

You should listen to DrumUltimA's Moon Rhapsody. It's pretty good without the drums, but the drums add so much to it. Fills, breaks, varied rhythms...

Actually, you should listen to it just because it's awesome. :D

Your lead synth is a little uninteresting. Partly the sound, partly the slow melody. Hard to give any concrete suggestions on how to improve it, but experiment. The melody shouldn't need much changing (except subtle things like changing timing of some notes, doubling things, counterpoint...). You have a great organ-like backing sound around 2:00, it works gerat together with the lead in their current states. Perhaps elaborating on that backing melody and using the backing voice more would do it.

You nailed the space sound with the background synths, tho they could use a little more work. For example, if you give them a delay you give the illusion of vast space. That way you also make them sound more processed (well, they ARE more processed) and fill out the soundscape a little more.

Can't give you much else. Drums are the weakest part of it, but even in its current state it's cool.