*NO* Metroid 'Heart of Tourian'

djpretzel

It's about 5 megs, 4:17 seconds long, rendered at 160k. The ReMixer name is Submarine Sound, and this email (subliminal_friction@hotmail.com) is the one people should use to contact me.

The game is, of course, Metroid, and the track's I've mixed are two that usually get next-to-no attention: the mother brain's theme, and the tourian theme. I think the only other remixer that's done it is AmIEvil... and it was a lot of fun, making all the synth lines and ambient sounds... (I used Fruity Loop's BeepMap generator a lot.)

So there you have it... if you need any more information, don't hesitate to ask. Hope you like it~

- m a t t

'Submarine Sound', eh? Yeah, this is going for the deep aquatic/subterranean ambience sound, but there's not much going on here other than some sfx, synths, and a beat... although that much DID manage to cover the two Metroid tracks. But they're so insubstantial that the originality versus remix balance is completely skewed towards the former.

I give this a borderline NO because the same sounds are used repetitively, and for the style the mix is attempting it could serve to involve much more intricacy instead of an almost monophonic ambience. Good use of reverb, though.

Wow, pretty boring. The melodic parts are sparse and unsupported, and the mix continues in the same vein for about 4:00. Drumbeats change it up a bit, but not enough.

Nice ambience, yeah, but I'm gonna say that this was pretty boring. A lot of the mix is just the low ambient wooshy beepmap sounds; similar to Prot's gripe, I think that the melodic aspects of this song are very weak.

The song is gimmicky. There's not much to this.

NO

I really enjoyed the hell out of this. But to be fair, I really enjoy emotive, evokative, and above all else, transportive pieces. This piece accomplished all those things in earnest.

The big complaint I'm hearing from most of my fellow compatriots is that this hardly constitutes a 'mix. First, they're quite right. This has scant few *musical* ties to Metroid. That being said, what is related to Metroid really seems to capture the textures and atmospheres found in Tourain. The bubbling square wave effect was especially cool. It all came together to create a little portrait or snapshot of a world that is little more than a vinette.

Is it a good musical remix? Not really, sad to say. Is it a good sound and emotion-scape? Absolutely. And we have so precious few of those that, if nothing else, it would be a welcome rarity to OCR.

YES

The ghost of COTMM lives!!!

Well, one thing's for sure. The guy knows his processing. Very nice synths, their application is borderline random, but never in a n00bish, bad way.

The arpeggio at approx 1 minute is mixed way hot, and comes out of nowhere, but I'll be honest in that it shocked the shit out of me. This mix does acheive superior ambience and atmosphere, and utilizes dynamics effectively.

It is sparse, but seems to acheive emotive expression with its limited soundscape. I'm with Wingy McLesserson on this one. More good soundscapes can't hurt.

YES

-D

There was some debate amongst some judges about this mix after the yes vote. Since it's especially close like this I thought I needed to vote on this. I don't think this is passable material.

I don't think this is very polished ambience. The first half is so sparse. It feels like the occasional sounds here and there drenched in a large reverb. Where's the layers of sounds, richer pads, production, the interesting ideas? It just feels like it's the melody a deep bass and sounds here and there.

I don't really feel this has a form either. Ambience music can have just as much form as any genre. The second half of the mix is much better, but still I don't think this has anything on offer that makes it stand out. It's a nice mix, but just not polished enough to be posted.

NO

aaaugh! the sudden loudness of that square lead startled me.

i like the way it picks around the 2 minute mark and develops. the bassline sounds odd against the melodic componenets at times, though. nice ambient textures (absynth maybe?)

overall though, it comes off as lacking. nice attempt given the source material, but this one just doesn't pull through.

no

uhh... how can we have 4 yes's and 4 no's? I was under the impression that there are multiple things wrong with that scenario.

unusual: yes. wrong: no.

Hmm, do we even do soundscapes? It really isn't a musical mix at all, but it is a very good soundscape, the sounds created are very effective and do achieve their purpose. I'm just not sure if this achieves OC's purpose.

I haven't been this borderline for a while, and I don't think the panel has either.

Soundscape or not, its the biggest violation of the submission guidlines we've had for a while now.

Its a clear NO and I'm not sure where the YESs are comming from.

it hurts to say it, but you're right. the sounds are very reminiscent of the mother brain sequence, but there is simply no melody in common.

i'm changing my vote. NO