A Monkey Walks Into A Barbershop

Brandon Strader

I was going to submit this, since there's really not much way I could edit this.. I mean I could add on to it but it's pretty solid as it is. Ok, so I had been planning to make a barbershop remix of the Monkey Island theme for like a month, but I've heard like 2 barbershop songs on TV comedies and have no idea what they are. I think I did a pretty good job. The last time I actually heard the song was when I played Special Edition when it was released, not since then... so I sort of did it from memory too.

Some backstory

A small monkey is living in Africa. The sky is dark, and there is naught a thing in sight. Looking for shelter, the monkey runs into a nearby hut. It's pitch black. The monkey hears a man start singing a note and almost jumps out of his skin. Then another. Then another. Then another. A young African boy with a leather jacket, holding a very old AC/DC album then joins in with the other 4 singers.

They begin to sing a haunting melody of monkey adventures past. They strap the monkey into a large, frightening chair, and tie him down. The monkey notices that all of the men are bald. As they sing, they begin to shave the monkey until he's entirely hairless. By the end of the song, the monkey is completely bald and all of the men have made a wig out of his discarded hair.

They charge him $10.99 for the cut and send him on his way.

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/Oinkness_-_Monkey(OHC055).mp3

"A Monkey Walks Into A Barbershop"

You know, after the first 5 seconds, I was expecting a lot worse. Not anything against your work at all, but I'm terribly biased against vocals in mixes. In the end though, you used the vocals as an instrument, and your composition and harmonies are fairly solid.

I can't say this is something I'd keep in my personal collection, but I will solute you to a job well done.

I love this source and I'm happy to see it mixed.

Dammit Oinky, i thought this was going to be barbershop quartet.

As for the song itself, well I'll echo the others, it ain't great but I was expecting worse too. You clearly have some balls to try this and some skill to not make it suck entirely. What is the source on this>?

I think it is just the Monkey Island opening theme or main theme. :o

And it's an African barbershop.. that's my excuse. :)

"What's the source?" Shame on you! Not sure if I'm talking to you Oinkness for not stating the source in the first post, or you Meteo for not knowing this classic. :P

This was hilarious. Cut some of the spit sounds and stuff like that, do what else you can to refine it, then sub it. :D Source is there, well interpreted.

African Barbershop lol

first a rant:

please do not call this barbershop, please call it acapella instead.

this is not barbershop.

[/rant]

scooping into the pitch for a tune like this doesn't fit. if it's intentional, it doesn't really feel fitting.

some of the chords don't quite lock or take a second to lock.

could you please link the source so i can compare the arrangement itself.

some of the bass notes sound a little pushed...i'm assuming your not a baritone or bass here.

Spit sounds? I think I'll redo the opening bit to get more confident notes, but what are these spit sounds you refer to? Are they things I can just cut?

The spit sounds he's referring to are really apparent on your third and fourth note harmonies in the opening. It sounds like you smack your lips open and produce the note. I'd just redo the recording, cutting it out would probably make the sound of the note too abrupt and unnatural.

first a rant:

please do not call this barbershop, please call it acapella instead.

this is not barbershop.

Yeesh, who knew people were so adamant what is or is not a barbershop, but I suppose I can see where you're coming from. The beginning harmonies sound like barbershop-ish, but without any words and just humming, I guess you could be right.

What about the dudes from carmen san diego back in the day? They were called acapella, but they seemed to be rather barbershopish too.

EDIT - Actually....after mentioning and then youtubing "rockapella" lol, I guess, barbershop seems that ALL the guys will sing lyrics and harmonize them, where as the acapella seems to have one maybe 2 guys singing with the others being accompanying instruments...

AHH WELL...bleh, sorry for going onto something completely useless =P

• 1 year later...

I think this is awesome!

However, I just wanted to post a link to this thread and mp3 in another forum on another website but the mp3 download link is broken. :/

May I upload the mp3 somewhere else and link to this thread plus the new download url? Or can you find this song somewhere else now?

Wow I forgot about this one. It's not consistent with the quality of my recent work and is something I had planned to remake but never got around to it. Here's the link to it on ThaSauce:

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/Oinkness_-_Monkey(OHC055).mp3

The big man djp himself told me to make it more like Lion King music, which is something I could probably realistically pull off today, not back then. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the interest in it though. XD