MPD24/FLStudio ASIO Problem.

bebog12

I'm new on here so bare with me guys.

The problem I have is the whole latency issue. Everytime i press the pads on the MPD i hear the sound come out a couple miliseconds later. Its so subtle but i can hear it.

I tried ASIO4All on the FL studio (9 XXL version) and i can't hear anything when i click that option. I press the pads, i see them light up on FL studio, but i dont hear anything.

But on the other hand when I have it on the default which is "Primary Sound Driver" i hear it, but it gives me the whole latency issue.

Also when i try to put the buffer thing as low as i can my speaker makes weird crackling noises.

Anyone know how I can solve this??plz

if you're using asio4all, try making sure you don't have anything else open (media players, etc.) that could be using the sound interface.

otherwise, it probably won't work.

and, you want to go to the asio4all control panel, switch to advanced mode, and try fiddling with what devices are enabled/disabled. Sometimes it won't work unless you ONLY output to the device you want (speakers/headphones).

You shouldn't need a new soundcard to get it to at least work. Close all media devices, set the buffer fairly high (so that the under-runs aren't going up) and try it with a few things, it should work.

Well, no, technically no one NEEDS one, but heck, if he's willing and able, let's not steer him away from it. Besides, ASIO4ALL is temperamental, and if he just had a designated soundcard he wouldn't have to worry about it.

What's a good audio interface you ask? Well, what are you looking to spend? The cheapest ones run somewhere ~$100, but if you ever plan on recording with a microphone, I'd recommend spending at least $130-150 and getting one that has phantom power built in.

Check out stuff like the Lexicon Lambda, the Tascam US-144, the Yamaha Audiogram 6, or the M-Audio MobilePre..

Zzounds is a good place to look, they usually have the lowest prices, and if not, they'll pricematch. Plus free shipping (except to NJ), and OCR gets a small commission if you buy from them using that link. Woo!

Not sure how much you know about external soundcards already, but if you're new to it, then buying one of these would give you:

1)preamps

2)inputs for 1/4" and XLR (microphone)

3)outputs for headphones and studio monitors

4)designated ASIO drivers

tell us about your budget, and whether or not you'd be recording anything like guitar/voice in the future and we can help steer you in the right direction.

I can record and all and output sounds, but only on the default, which isn't ASIO4all. With the default selection i get about 40ms of waiting time. I can notice the difference. When i try to lower it, the speakers start to crackle.

I don't plan to do any voice recording just instrumentals/beats, but my drum sequences are always offf just by a little bit.

As for a budget i would say @ 100-130.

and i don't know anything about soundcards. my ignorance lead me to believe you just plug it in...and BAM your good to go.

but thats not the case here :-x

**also how do i install a soundcard? will it fit in a laptop? do I need a midi input/output cable?(i'm currently using the USB cable the MPD24 came with)

and i don't know anything about soundcards. my ignorance lead me to believe you just plug it in...and BAM your good to go.

but thats not the case here :-x

**also how do i install a soundcard? will it fit in a laptop? do I need a midi input/output cable?(i'm currently using the USB cable the MPD24 came with)

that's exactly the case here, actually :) the one's we're talking about are USB interfaces, and it's usually a 3 step process:

1)install the drivers that come with the interface

2)tell windows to use the interface as it's default sound device (in the control panel > sound)

3)tell fruity loops to use your new sound card's ASIO drivers.

that's it. based on how you said you're going to be using it, I'd say the Lexicon Alpha, the Tascam US-122, or the Audiogram 3 would be fine. The Lexicon is cheapest.

Guys thanks for the help, i figured it out.

I was messing around the advanced options like DDRKirby said, and I brought it down to 3ms.

This is what I did:

Go to Audio Settings. Click ASIO Panel. Click the little plus sign on the side of the "Conexant High Definition Audio." A little tree of options will appear. It should be three options. Now click on the little "play sign" (it looks green) on the side of the first option, which is "Conexant HD Audio digital out." The little button should now turn all black meaning its in Idle. Now ASIO4All should work.(it did for me.)

Now if you want to lower the latency from the default 12ms. Just go to the ASIO Buffer SIze on that same Options page.(the one you were just on.) And lower the ASIO Buffer size to 128 samples or however low you can without getting that crackling noise.

I went from 40ms to 3ms. Such a huge difference. I can see a brand new horizon. :-P