OCR00348 - Super Metroid "Maridia Mix"

Saunders

Super Metroid 'Maridia Remix'

Not totally fond of the intro on this one, but when it hits the song I'm used to/expecting at 0:40 then I begin to like it a lot more.

I like the part where all the instruments go quiet around the 2 minute mark, I love it when tunes stop all instruments except one for a moment.

This is a good mix. Not one of my favorites, but it has a place in my playlist. Check it out.

• 1 month later...

I really liked this song. I think the intro was better than these other two say. after reading this post i had to see what was so bad about the intro, but indeed, i liked it. this ReMix is really cool, like the bass, and the other sounds ^_^

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Rhythmically very interesting, I don't remember the source at all, but I certainly don't remember a track in any Metroid game being this attention-getting.

Production is clean, but I think the low end needs a bit more punch, especially the bass drum.

The variation is pretty nice too, with synths and pads coming and going throughout, though switching up the chord progression for a section would have been a nice improvement.

Overall, however, a very nice mix.

• 1 year later...

I'm curious why this is named "Maridia Remix" when it is of a Brinstar theme. Regardless, easily my favorite track from the game, and possibly any Metroid game (though I will admit I still haven't played any of the Primes, shame on me).

The rising synth heard throughout is interesting, but it annoys me personally. It fits with the track, though, so I can't fault it. Overall I think what I'm not crazy about is that the entire first minute and 20 seconds or so is a continuous build-up where something new comes in every 4 measures or so. Perhaps it's a little to predictable to me.

Short strings work well here, along with whatever the short synth is playing in the background. The bass works surprisingly well with the mix, not the greatest sound quality, but it fits. I like the dropout section, and the return back.

Overall a decent mix that I don't mind listening to every so often.

(BTW, for some reason in the file info it says 'Metroid', not 'Super Metroid')

• 1 month later...

Mislabeled... or the remixer spent a little too much time in on Zebes.

This was among the first remixes I downloaded from ocr, back whenever. It's no less enjoyable to revisit, tho I'm hearing some technical issues now that I didn't care about then. A well-remixed source, but this is well remixed in that it's got its own sound. And you remember it.

• 4 months later...

The title isn't exactly misleading. After all, there's two areas where Maridia sounds like Red Brinstar (glass tunnel near Kraid's lair, anyone?). Indeed, this mix has a water-worldly feel to it - or perhaps a new age-y feel. The electro-triangle and rising sweeps in the intro detail and expand the seductive likeness of an aquarium. Especially during the quieter sections, there's an abstract beauty left by the candy-sweet synth that comes in at 1:26. The pseudo-choir and the buzzy synth often play the same notes at the same time, but the latter tends to overpower the former. As a result, I'm more annoyed than awed by their combo attacks. Overall, the techno bass and D'n'beats are simplistic, but unhurried in their methods of clear-cut assimilation with the lead synths.

Pretty sugar-smooth for an oldie.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This came up just now in my Winamp. This is significant because at the start of this semester, I dumped my unorganized 700 songs of OCR stuff into it and hit randomize. I hadn't listened to this one in years, I couldn't believe it was dated to 2001 when I pulled it up, it's still very catchy. Would love to see how DJ Chako's work has evolved over the last 9 years in a future post.

• 1 year later...
This came up just now in my Winamp. This is significant because at the start of this semester, I dumped my unorganized 700 songs of OCR stuff into it and hit randomize. I hadn't listened to this one in years, I couldn't believe it was dated to 2001 when I pulled it up, it's still very catchy. Would love to see how DJ Chako's work has evolved over the last 9 years in a future post.

www.soundcloud.com/chako ...pretzel told me to play no more heroes... and it definitely had some good sounds in there.. i need to goto gamestop and buy another used copy so i can finish it..lol thanx tho.. enjoy

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00348 - Super Metroid "Maridia Mix"
  • 7 years later...

The Red Brinstar theme lends itself in many directions. Melodically, it's got the haunting flute theme followed by the piano thought. Harmonically? Well, no, not really, it's a vamp of two chords. But there's the rhythmic aspect of it and that's the direction Chako's taken it in here to great effect. The whole ReMix is built around the attacks on the first and fourth beats of the eight-beat vamp, like the original. We don't even hear the melody enter, even then in the background, until about halfway through the ReMix.

The rising synths remind me of ascending bubbles, and hence I guess why it's called "Maridia Mix" even though that area is next door. The whole ReMix progressively layers aspects and takes them away. I think it's very clever and a good way to approach the subject matter. It's been part of my playlist for many years.