OCR01138 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Forest Birdcussion"

djpretzel

I just picked up DKC2 for GBA and I'm reliving my 6 year old days of youth where I could never get past one level. So I finally get past it, do my little victory dance and push "A" to go to the next level and what do I find? I stand up, run over to my friend yelling, "OMG ITS THAT SONG BY PROTRICITY!!! DAMN!" I was very excited. Thank you Prot, for bringing back fond memories of my youth, and...my present as well!

• 2 weeks later...
This is probably my favorite track from Prot also. It seems as though compared to his other DKC2 mixes there is a greater proficiency in mixing, mastering, and arranging. Also, the samples used are quite good. The new age-ish progression and execution is both relaxing and well done. The 'birdcussion' is quite catchy, and not at all grating or overly repetitive. In fact, the piece as a whole is not repetitive, though you might expect it to be because of the length.

Two thumbs up. Keep up the good work.

I agree. Beautiful song. Absentee of repetitions. The Protricity version from "Enchanted Wood" is pretty and nice. Between 01:25 - 01:46 it is very pleasant for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Didn't Protricity cover this track before? He did something called "Enter the Cryptic Wood". I have no biased opinion as to which is better so, I conclude they're both awesome.

"Entering the Cryptic Woods" (circa August 2002) was never released. Interestingly, the light tribal percussive effect that forms the bulk of his Cryptic Woods rendition can be heard in Forest Bircussion faintly echoing in places like 1:22-1:23, 1:45, etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The sounds are great. The atmosphere it creates is very relaxing, and the sound is altogether cohesive. Now, I'm a newbie here and I'm still not too sure what's going on with the technical jargon I hear, but whatever happens with the panning and synths and pads and [insert terms here] is beyond me. All that I can say is it sounds great; but I have one minor gripe. The fact that the er... The warpy sound in the beginning. You know. The fact that one of its repititions is cut off irks me big time. For me, it creates something of a void in an otherwise very full, rich, alive piece. I'm always expecting it to go -once- more, but it doesn't. Good work, aside the fact.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To be honest, I just discovered this remix today. One thing that I want to congratulate you on, Protricity, is the fact how you actually took a stab at making an arrangement in 12/8 time signature. That alone is kudos enough, but the fact that you've put forth great quality and kicked us in the face with down-tempo makes this song even better. I would've liked to hear more source melodies used in the second half of the song, but for what it's worth this song is fantastic.

The Hair of my Judgment: 94%

• 1 month later...

I really enjoy this song, I can't help but find myself whistling along to it in the car no matter how many times Ive heard it. Its so very chill and relaxing but with a good catchy beat. I wish more songs had this level of quality to them. Even the bird chirping which in any other song would be annoying is great here.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't want to promote tall-poppyism, but Protricity is the Jesus Christ of videogame mixes. In my opinion of course. He's had his crucifixion, his resurrection in recent years, and most importantly, some truly divine DKC2 mixes. In fact, if Jesus had played Diddy's Kong Quest, I'm not even sure he would have been able to make better mixes than Ari.

Anyway, enough of the comparisons to the Son of God, I'm sure I'm offending a throng of people. Simply, this mix is a gift. It's the highest level of quality. The perfect remix. Of course, it could be because of a bias I have towards my love of DKC2, but I think it trancends that. It's scary good.

By the way, I'm an advocate of the birdcussion. I can't really explain why, but it's one of the most effective, well pulled off musical gimmicks I've ever heard. Freaking hell, I love this mix. And thus, it would be unhealthy for me to continue on like this...

• 9 months later...

What can I say? This is my favorite rendition of my favorite video game song ever... it's soooo chill, which stays in line with the original feel of the source, but expands on it in a number of ways with a beautiful piano accompaniment, nice synth choices, and of course... BIRDCUSSION!

Seriously, I could rave on and on about this song til I pass out from exhaustion, but instead I'll save you all the trouble and just say it right out - GET THIS SONG! Tunes like this are why I'm such a Protricity fanboy! :-P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Who is... Jesus?

Carpenter-looking dude who died for people's sins (supposedly). :-P Anywho, I love this mix for it's simpleness and the main event, Birdcussion! This was the first mix I added when I got here and it's so peaceful and relaxing. Good switch of gears, Prot!

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01138 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Forest Birdcussion"