Want your ReMix (unofficially) in Guitar Hero/Rock Band?

Inimitable

I've been a part of ScoreHero - a community based around the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises - for a few years now. Over the last half decade, some fine coders have created programs that allow us to create custom note charts and import them into almost every version of the game(s) available. Over the last couple years I've been creating notecharts for all sorts of songs, including a bunch of OC ReMixes. I've talked with a few of the remixers in the past and worked with them, and generally I find the direct interaction between me and the remixer ends up in a far superior product than just me trying to tackle it. So far I've worked with Ailsean, Fishy, Kidd Cabbage, Prince of Darkness, and others.

You can see a selection of what I've done so far here (some of these are from Dwelling of Duels, VGMix, commercial, etc, but you get the idea). For a look at all of my charts, you can visit my thread on ScoreHero if you're curious.

Ailsean - Final Fantasy 6 “Terra in Black” (

)

Armcannon - Rygar Medley (

) (
)

Evil Horde - Doom II “Running From Evil Horde” (

) (
)

Fishy - FF7 "Omnislash" (

) (
)

goat - Castlevania 2 "No Flesh Allowed" (

) (
)

Kidd Cabbage - Final Fantasy 4 “Treason” (Guitar/Rhythm) (Drums)

Nekofrog - MegaMan 2 “Wily’s Requiem” (

) (
)

Powerglove - Mario Minor (Guitar/Rhythm) (Drums)

Prince of Darkness - Red Alert “Hell March to the Apocalypse” (Guitar/Rhythm) (Drums)

Sixto Sounds - Tales of Symphonia “Go the Distance” (Guitar/Rhythm) (Drums)

SnappleMan - Chrono Trigger “I Could Be Banned Soon Trigger” (

) (
)

virt - Super Metroid “Crystal Flash” (Guitar/Rhythm

, and
) (Drums
, and
)

Please note that some of these videos may be pretty old! They probably don’t reflect the current state of the chart.

Anyway! I’m telling you this because I’m interested in working with more remixers to create some cool custom songs. I like to think it’s a win-win: I get to produce some fun content, and you get your remix in its miniaturized, plastic Rock Band form. In case I haven’t made it clear yet, I have no affiliation with the game or developers officially! I’m just a dude who likes to contribute to community efforts to expand the song selection. If you're interested in the Rock Band Network (an official online store for original music), you can contact me via email or AIM, but that's not what this thread is about.

What I’m looking for more specifically is the following:

• A guitar-driven (or convincing synth-driven) remix that is supported by a rhythm guitar (or bass) and drums.
    • There’s no point in translating your remix if it’s not going to translate well!
    • I don’t do vocal charts, sorry. If your mix contains vocals that's fine, but unless you make an incredible argument for it I really don't like charting them (they're quite tedious).

[*]A remixer who’s willing and able to part with his/her separate recordings/tracks.

• Not only do separate tracks make it easier to chart accurately, it also makes the game much more fun to play when the instrument you’re playing drops when you miss a note (like in the official songs).
    • Tabs are a bonus! They make my life easier.
    • Another bonus: Someone who doesn't mind spending a little bit of time discussing the chart with me to ensure it's accurate.
    • If you can’t offer any of these, I have to say I’m not interested! If I wanted to do it without help/cooperation I wouldn’t need this thread.

[*]A sufficient amount of awesome.

• Because I dun wanna do it if it’s not awesome.

I think that’s it for requirements! I’m not too picky about it.

If you’re interested, let’s hear it! If you’re one of the remixers listed up there who I’ve already contacted, I’d still love to head back from you again if you find the interest or time. If you’re one of the remixers listed up there who I haven’t contacted yet, you’re invited twice as much. If you’re not up there but want to be... Well, there seems to be only one solution.

And again, if you're interested in the Rock Band Network (an official online store for original music), you can contact me via email or AIM.

Shifty? Haha, no, as long as there's no copyright material wandering around (and obviously no profits being made) there's no issue. Harmonix (the makers of the Guitar Hero 1-2 and Rock Band) even made a sizable donation to the community a year or so back. Both Harmonix and Neversoft are well aware of the custom community and have made no attempt or requests to stop it.

The programs used to inject custom songs are made by amateur coders from the community and are, almost invariably, harmless. You can use the PC version of GH3 or GH: World Tour to load custom songs, but it's also available on PS2, 360 (to a small extent), and Wii. Personally, I use the Wii version of Rock Band 2. The only limitation is it's generally a bad idea to play online with leaderboards (for obvious reasons).

Well, I just recently finished working with Kidd Cabbage on Treason, from the FF4 Echoes of Light, Betrayal of Redemption album. He provided me with separate tracks and actually went though the entire chart with me after I got back to him with a WIP... I think it turned out really well!

Guitar + Rhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBuu4r2IyF8

Drums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbp7gpLJGGw

To be honest I expected a bigger response to this; Fishy was the only one that I got ahold of through this thread (Kidd Cabbage I contacted via YouTube). Either there is significantly less interest here than I thought or you guys just think I'm a wanker. :<

Unless there is a different forum that would be more suitable for this topic?

If you ever want to use more of my stuff (or have a more accurate Wily chart), hit me up. I should be able to give you split stuff in a month or so.

Sure, I'd love to. If you don't have access to the Wily tracks now maybe I'll find a different track to work on (or wait until Agony of Man is released and do something from that; the previews sound awesome). I added you on AIM so I'll talk to you through there or PM depending on how elusive you are on IM clients.

• 1 month later...

Over the last couple weeks I've finished working with Danimal Cannon and Fishy to create Rygar Medley and Omnislash (respectively). I also finally finished the daunting task of re-charting and adding drums to virt's Crystal Flash - I think it turned out well! If you're interested you can see the videos linked in the first post.

For those that missed this the first time or forgot but are still interested in the plastic-ization of their songs, contact me on aim or let me know here!

• 4 months later...

I know this topic is old, but I picked up Rock Band 2 for Wii just recently and have been having a blast with these customs. Thanks, Inimitable, especially for doing one for Go The Distance. That thing is BRUTAL.

There is one problem I'm having though, and that is getting Crystal Flash to work properly. For some reason, when played with a drummer, it crashes (yes, I set the empty drum audio track properly and made sure it was checked in the song settings), and when I try it with solo guitar or bass, there is no music and the in-game guitarist glitches out for a second at the beginning. It seems that the version of the chart I found was originally for Guitar Hero, so I converted it: Would that be the issue?

EDIT: Okay, so starting from scratch and creating the song in RawkSD again did the trick. Not sure why, but it seems to be working. Now to just try and get the chart aligned with the song...

Hey! Glad you're enjoying 'em; I'm still making 'em. I just recently released some Powerglove, goat, Fishy, and Armcannon. I didn't expect to see this thread bumped again (pleasant surprise!) so I guess I'll update the OP.

Crystal Flash specifically was a troublesome chart. The version you have now isn't designed for Rock Band (or, I should say, designed properly), so it can cause issues sometimes - on the bright side, though, I'm working on a massive update for it that should correct mistakes, fix sync, and it'll play nice with Rock Band. It's just a pain in the ass to work on because it's so damn long. :x

And, of course, anyone who wants to message me re: their own tracks and Rock Band are still more than welcome to do so!

So, am I the only poor sap that doesn't know how to go about playing these? Is there a torrent somewhere that I might be able to grab them from? I tried one of your mediafire links in one of your chart threads and I got a MIDI file... That alone seems like it's a pain in the ass to get going. By the time I get all the songs injected/compiled or however the methodology goes, it seems like hours would pass by; not to mention the trouble.

The scene seems to be pretty large, so I figured I'd ask in here; it seems to be the easiest way to go about getting started with these badass tracks.

I'm absolutely stunned that I somehow stumbled upon this. How the hell have I missed this all this time? Kudos to you, Inimitable, and the whole community. Rock On!

Nope, you just need BootMii with the Homebrew Channel (Google it) and RawkSD. Don't worry, nothing will damage your Wii. Just install the HBC, then put RawkSD on an SD card. Use the RawkSD PC program to import your song and install it to said SD card, then put that card in the Wii, install the songs with the RawkSD Installer for Wii, and voila! The song should appear in Rock Band 2. It doesn't hack or otherwise mess with any of your existing DLC.

Ah, so it makes its own song entry as an installed song then? Very nice. I have a modded Wii already, so this should be a cinch.

Is there an archive to download all the charts/audio at once? I mean, aside from the non-public domain ones like Rammstein?

Well, Inimitable's custom tracks are very well done, so you can't go wrong with his (the audio is included with the VGM charts). There's an entire archive of charts available at http://www.scorehero.com/custom_songs.php as well.

Most (like, 99%) of those in the database are designed for Guitar Hero, and may or may not translate well to Rock Band (plus since SaveFile went down a couple months ago, a lot of the old links are broken). Unfortunately there's no RB database on the site, but you can browse through the individual forum threads here. All the charts in my thread should work just fine with RB though.

And KP9000, the audio for some songs isn't distributed on the site due to copyright laws - and since we're currently on Harmonix' and Neversoft's good side, we don't want to cause any trouble. :wink: Anything that's freely available though is usually included with the chart. You can find all sorts of charts available with their audio (legal or not) through links on Youtube and Google, but be wary that the quality of the chart will vary between each charter.