OCR01139 - Terminal Velocity "Proxima Path"

djpretzel

Sweet, a TV remix, I loved this game, I remixed two of the songs, but that was ages ago before I knew what I was doing.

Wow this is really weird eh. It sounds like this is a remix of both the menu music and the first level music.

Menu Music (Right Click and Save As)

First Level Music (Right Click and Save As)

At least, I couldn't pick up anything else.

It's nicely done, but sounds too original for me.

Don't you love how that song has the filename it has? I think they changed it in the music archives on the 3dreams site, lol.

I've had this song from VGmix for a while, and I like the freestyle. The original songs were very good for '95, too, especially since they were locked into the pretty restrictive .mod format, and they often locked themselves in on variety by recording long sequences of instrument notes instead of just one at a time.

Interesting stuff. Actually, the main reason I downloaded this is 'cause I used to play that game. And I never got ANYwhere with it. I could never figure out what I was supposed to shoot or where I was supposed to go. While the remix doesn't really bring back floods of those memories, listening to the original certainly does. I'm not sure why I kept trying to play that game as long as I did. Man, those were the days...

Anyway, yeah this mix is weird. A lot of dissonance, but I don't feel totally uncomfortable with this dissonance, though at times it seems unintentional. Hard for me to tell considering the bizarre source material we're dealing with. I like a lot of the ideas. I like the lead synth (features @ 3:09) in that fast, staccato role. Actually, all the synth work sounds good, and very complex. The drums I'm not a 'UGE fan of, mainly because they seem so subdued and not driving enough, but then that's because I keep wanting this song to be a style that it's not. More my fault than that of the author's.

Ah well, overall cool stuff.

D

• 4 months later...
Interesting stuff. Actually, the main reason I downloaded this is 'cause I used to play that game. And I never got ANYwhere with it. I could never figure out what I was supposed to shoot or where I was supposed to go. While the remix doesn't really bring back floods of those memories, listening to the original certainly does. I'm not sure why I kept trying to play that game as long as I did. Man, those were the days...

A bit delayed.. but..

You were supposed to head towards the yellow dot, blowing up the orange dots as you went along to get blue dots. Occasionally you'd be attacked by a green dot, but they were easy to take down with your white lines.

The tunnel flight in that game was horrendous. You couldn't stop the ship, so you're constantly moving forward, and if you happen to hit the wall in the tunnel, well you're pretty much buggered, especially when you go through the tunnel wall and somehow end up back in the tunnel upside down, only to crash again. hehe, that was fun.

Anyway, I still listen to this mix a lot. Kudos to the mixer. It's the dotty lead that captures me.

And yes, the sex.mod filename is most amusing. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This goes into the category of 'never heard of the game but really cool' mixes. The main melody being a thirty second loop doesn't stop Bloomer here, lots of variation present. Holds up to many listens without getting old. The use of sounds and instrumentation is pretty inventive too. Right up there with the best electronica stuff on OCR.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

There are some great ideas here, but the transitions are abysmal, making the song structure seem like a Frankenstein monster wrecking havoc. There is some nice stuff in here, creative percussion, nice synthwork, and some cool arrangement ideas, but it doesn't flow or sound cohesive to itself at all.

Sorry, gonna pass on this one. :-(

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01139 - Terminal Velocity "Proxima Path"