Music Tutor

Syndicated.Corpse

Okay, I don't know where exactly to put this so hopefully I don't get in trouble.

I'm a newb when it comes to making music, I know the basics of making music with FL7.

But I'm looking for someone who has the time to teach me about the in and outs of music making programs, devices, apparatuses, etc.

A turor of sorts.

Eep! Don't flame me.

Lol.

P.S

The reason why I ask is because my friend who use to make music with me up and quit. So now it's about me making the music from scratch.

VST is the standard format used by MOST digital audio workstations for effects, equalizers, etc. VSTi is more advanced stuff like virtual instruments. You simply load them up in whatever track in your DAW you want to apply them to. VST's and VSTi's come in the form of .dll plugins.

The only DAW off the top of my head that doesn't use VST is Reason. Reason has its own format called ReFills.

There's also Reaper, which works for free and their discounted license isn't very expensive.

I also suggest Reaper. I use it for my Metal music.

i should point out, original poster, that most of the answers i've got to questions like the one you just asked will generally be 'google'.

True enough, but I'm lazy.

:o and You guys know so yah.

Win win.

VST is the standard format used by MOST digital audio workstations for effects, equalizers, etc. VSTi is more advanced stuff like virtual instruments. You simply load them up in whatever track in your DAW you want to apply them to. VST's and VSTi's come in the form of .dll plugins.

The only DAW off the top of my head that doesn't use VST is Reason. Reason has its own format called ReFills.

I also suggest Reaper. I use it for my Metal music.

Ah thanks very much!

I am dl'ing it now.

DAW what is that?

Heh that's digital audio workup right @_@

Sorry I know I'm slowing killing you all with my dumbness xD

Basically, a DAW is a music program that does EVERYTHING. Audio editor, sequencer, plugin host, mixer...

Audacity, for example, is just an audio editor. It has some basic midi tools but those were still being tested last I heard. Anvil Studio is, iirc, just a sequencer. Doesn't do plugins. Just midi writing. Unless I'm wrong about what they can do, they're not DAWs.

Note that having a sample library and/or built-in/bundled effects isn't necessary for it to be a DAW. Those are things you may have to get yourself. Fortunately, the internet is full of free stuff. Some of it is even good. ;)

edit: realizing that the remixing faq/tutorial me and zephyr were writing would be really helpful here. You might find this unfinished version useful, just ignore our comments about what needs to be added/changed and stuff. :D

Thought I had a v1.3 somewhere. Maybe I'll have time to dig it up and update it this week.

edit2: reading through it, there's a lot I need to change. Most of it is ok, but I'd check with other sources to get stuff like the order of effects right. The part about samplers is a little confusing because sometimes we've misspelled samples as samplers. Should be fixed it later versions, but that's the version I've got online.