Turning off notes not in key?

I think I remember seeing one time or another someone on Youtube being able to turn off certain notes that didn't fall into the key signature they were playing in. They did this for recorded playing (through a midi keyboard), so they wouldn't accidentally hit wrong notes while doing it in real time. How does one do this in FL Studio 8? I could be mistaken, but if there is such an option, please let me know.

Well, there's this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSSpTz9d1hI&feature=player_profilepage

However that's a roundabout way...

There's a built in key-limiter too the Piano roll (in tools, or Alt +K) however that's only usable for recorded midi, not real-time.

The only other way that I can think of would be to find it in the plugin itself (a lot of NI stuff has it) or to do a stupid complicated way with layers that I'm not even going to get into.

Thanks for the info Zephyr. It sort of works, but I'm probably not getting how to actually do it in FL. I think I finally decided what my best option is; mark the keys on my keyboard that fall into the scale I'm playing in! Not the most orthodox method but hey, it works. Good thing I know how to type so I don't need to see the letters :nicework:

Thanks for the info Zephyr. It sort of works, but I'm probably not getting how to actually do it in FL. I think I finally decided what my best option is; mark the keys on my keyboard that fall into the scale I'm playing in! Not the most orthodox method but hey, it works. Good thing I know how to type so I don't need to see the letters :nicework:

Don't do that. Just practice scales until you know the keys well. Any shortcut you take will only ingrain bad habits.

Don't do that. Just practice scales until you know the keys well. Any shortcut you take will only ingrain bad habits.

Well I, question whether this is a good idea on a keyboard for typing. If I had a MIDI keyboard, there's no way I would take a shortcut at all.

That's something you can learn to overcome, especially if you're not playing solo so it's not like the sound stops while you recover. You'd be better served spending time trying to acquire that skill, and just improve as a player in general, than coming up with complicated shortcuts.

Also, what happens when you intentionally want to play notes that aren't in the key? Limiting yourself to, say, the notes in a major scale can only get you so far.

That's something you can learn to overcome, especially if you're not playing solo so it's not like the sound stops while you recover. You'd be better served spending time trying to acquire that skill, and just improve as a player in general, than coming up with complicated shortcuts.

Also, what happens when you intentionally want to play notes that aren't in the key? Limiting yourself to, say, the notes in a major scale can only get you so far.

Well if playing without making mistakes came to me overnight I wouldn't have made this thread. I need another way to do it in the meantime. And why wouldn't you want to play notes in a key? If I were to do it on purpose, I would have planned it already because it would be a notable instance in the song. I don't like to just throw in some dissonance here and there.

Well if playing without making mistakes came to me overnight I wouldn't have made this thread. I need another way to do it in the meantime. And why wouldn't you want to play notes in a key? If I were to do it on purpose, I would have planned it already because it would be a notable instance in the song. I don't like to just throw in some dissonance here and there.

Yeah, I'm not saying that becoming a good pianist is an easy road - I've put enough time into it myself to know otherwise. I'm just hoping to prevent you from doing things that will be better in the short term but much worse in the long term.

As for playing notes in a key, what I meant is that it'll be a lot of work to set up for one E major song that sticks just to the 7 notes in the major scale and another that adds the flat 7th and a third that adds the flat third and so on. I'm saying that there are a lot of simple possibilities that use varied notes - would you want to change MIDI filters for each? What if you had a note filtered out accidentally that you didn't want? You might think you were playing it wrong which might be more confusing.

• 3 weeks later...
It will really hurt you in the long run if you try to develop a way to not learn music theory. Trust me.

Learn to play the piano.

Not sure why I'm bothering to reply to this but...

1. I'm developing a way not to learn music theory? Lol...

2. I am learning to play the piano.

3. Don't preach, Zephyr already addressed my issue. I don't care about anyone's opinion on learning to play something.

Not sure why I'm bothering to reply to this but...

1. I'm developing a way not to learn music theory? Lol...

2. I am learning to play the piano.

3. Don't preach, Zephyr already addressed my issue. I don't care about anyone's opinion on learning to play something.

I probably came off the wrong way here. Using tools so you'll not play notes that do not belong in a scale, that's avoiding learning which notes fit in certain scales, or not. Maybe you've intended it for another type of use, etc. By all means use such a tool, but I think you would be much better off learning which notes don't fit and then learning to play around them properly. :)

Good luck with an attitude like that. Someone with a more open mind might be more willing to listen to those who are way more experienced, but hey, suit yourself. It's just your own time you'll be using less effectively than you should.

Good luck with an attitude like that. Someone with a more open mind might be more willing to listen to those who are way more experienced, but hey, suit yourself. It's just your own time you'll be using less effectively than you should.

I never even stated how I was learning. Assuming makes.... well you get it.

Tweek: thanks for that bit I'll have to look into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to support noobism, but you could just transpose your instrument to the white keys, assuming you don't have grubby fingers that will hit the black keys.

Such as:

I want to improvise over mm2 - wily stage 1, but it's in C# minor! lol i'm not touchin black keyz evr.

You would transpose your solo instrument 400 cents up, which will move the white keys from playing A minor up to C# minor.

This lets you use any of the normal modes, Phrygian, Aeolian, Dorian, whatever, but probably not the harmonic and melodic minor, because learning to play with black keys is silly.